Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 D5 08 - Engine System Service Required Error Code 019

Views : 18873

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2011, 19:41   #11
tayandre

Is it in a Volvo dealer? They may change the oil and filter if there's too much diesel contamination. If they don't I'd suggest it's a good idea to do so yourself or at a local independant with some decent oil.
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 19:47   #12
ChrisCdotcodotuk

They claim that it was just too high. I will get them to confirm that it was too high and that it is clean.

If they do this I will be happy-ish.

If they say it has any signs of contamination I will request it is flushed as it must be down to the earlier recall not working correctly.

I can't see how it could drive just fine for 3 months without issue and then suddenly realise it has too much oil - unless it is the cold temperatures.

I still think it has a problem and it has risen on its own accord
ChrisCdotcodotuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 19:55   #13
tayandre

The problem is caused by the way the car regenerates the DPF. Diesel is injected into the exhaust stroke which should make it's way to the DPF where it will burn off the particulates and clear the filter.

However, the problem is some of that diesel is getting past the piston rings and making it's way into the engine oil. That's how the oil level can end up going up and is why it's probably a good idea to change the oil and filter. Volvo did it to my car under warranty, I doubt they would foot the bill if it wasn't a good idea. Especially when you consider decent oil is rather dear.

I half expect there's going to be a glut of diesel engines failing at lower than expected mileages as a result of diesel contamination of lubricant and filter.

This is worth a read when you have a spare half hour...
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 21:19   #14
ChrisCdotcodotuk

Hmm it looks like I'll have to fork out then as the car is not under warranty anymore as it is a 08 plate.

Still its annoying that there is a problem with the design of the car that will cause me to replace the oil more often than I should have to.

Surely that leaves me with some grounds to make them pay.
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 18:07   #15
John Steed

Don't want to sound complacent, Chris, but I think it's possible the problem has been solved. The D5 seems to run happily on two thirds oil dipstick measure, and if you look at other threads you will see that the oil looks thin and black soon after servicing. Mine went from clear and thick to much like yours in a couple of hundred miles, but there is no sign of any rise in oil level. I also had the message, but when enough was drained it stopped and has been fine ever since.

Keep an eye on the level. If it doesn't rise (not forgetting the oil will expand and contract with temperature variations!) there's probably nothing wrong.
If it does rise for no apparent reason (or the message comes back) get it checked again.
John Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 18:28   #16
ChrisCdotcodotuk

Thats a fair point but I purchased the car 2 1/2 months ago. It was a lot warmer then and the error was not displaying until friday.

I would expect that the cold would make the oil contract ever so slightly - not enough to measure though.

I can't see why the error wasn't there.

Ho hum, i'll keep an eye on it.
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 18:34   #17
Metblackrat

There will be no noticable difference in the oil level between 0 degrees and running temp of 85 degrees. Liquids have minimal thermal expansion properties.
Metblackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 19:30   #18
ChrisCdotcodotuk

I appreciate that hence my reply.

Also with it getting colder it would have the opposite effect.

That is my reason for concern
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 22:48   #19
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default That Message. ('07 V50 D5 SE geartronic. 25,250miles)

I tried to post this last night after seeing ChrisC's thread but after all the typing I lost it.
My daughter's V50, bought Nov.'08 with 13625 on clock, was subject to that recall in 2010 although we had not noticed any increase in the oil level. Our local main dealer did whatever they had to do and advised us that everything was OK. Upon collecting the car I checked the oil level myself and saw that it was only just on 1/4 way between min. & max. I commented on this to the service man who only then informed me that the oil level had been lowered and a new advice label fixed to the bonnet slam panel advising that the recommended oil level was 2/3 way between min. & max. and that the lower level was to allow for any increase in level. He did not make any mention of any software upgrade or explain why the problem may be arising. It was only after reading the excellent article in the "Driver" and then the many threads about DPF's and the non burning bio-diesel that I understood the reasons behind the problem.
As I did not have the time or the expertise to service this new fancy Volvo (I've always serviced the previous less sophisticated cars myself) my daughter took out a service contract with the main dealer. They have done two annual services since then.
After the first of those services she received an itemised bill advising of all the work done and a litre of oil for topping up.
She did not receive such a bill after the second service as quote " the itemised bill is sent to our insurer who underwrites the service contract but your service book has been stamped"
As the service department had driven the car from the garage to the dealership forecourt I did not check the oil level until the car had been standing overnight on our drive. This time it was only 1/3 between min. & max. so I contacted dealer who advised that Volvo had advised to only fill with 5.5 litres of oil because of the oil level increase problems. (although owner manual advises 6.0 litres capacity) Again no mention made of any software upgrade and no free bottle of oil.
During the normal weekly checks I noticed that the oil level was gradually dropping but have found it difficult to obtain the correct oil from my local normal sources so last week when I was at the dealership for parts for my 940 I bought two litres of the oil from them.(They don't supply it in any other size) On Saturday I checked the oil and found it to be exactly level with the min. mark. I'm not happy about running a car with this oil level as I have always kept oil at or just below the max. I added 0.5 litre of oil which brought level up to 1/3 way between min. & max. so I added another 0.5 litre which brought level up to 2/3 way between min. & max. I was satisfied with this as that is what is recommended on the slam panel label.
After two commutes to work by my daughter, (about 50 miles) up pops this "Engine System Service Required" message. Is this coincidence or have I simply increased the oil level to a level that the softway does not like. After reading this and other threads I'm inclined to lower the oil level slightly and hope for the best but my daughter is not very happy with this as it may simply be coincidence and there may be some other reason for the message so she has booked the car into the main dealer to be checked out tomorrow, despite the fact that she was quoted £120.00 ex. VAT for the check, but she is well prepared for an argument should the need arise.
I'll update with the result when I know it.

Last edited by Ian21401; Dec 15th, 2011 at 22:52. Reason: Text amendment
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 11:45   #20
ChrisCdotcodotuk

Thanks for that reply Ian. It is worrying!

So I got the car back today and now I've let it cool down I've taken a photo of the oil level.

It is bang on half mark.

BEFORE

AFTER

If it goes up I know there is a problem