Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Benefits of 4x4 in the snow

Views : 3254

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2010, 17:39   #11
Chris740R
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanGEC View Post
I used to own one of those Fiats and they are simply incredible in the snow for a car that only has a one litre engine - The tyres were excellent and they came as standard - mine was from new - I actually used mine to pull an old Vauxhall Viva backwards out of a ploughed field after the muppet decided to use a country lane covered in snow and ice instead of the cleared road.... you had to only use the 4wd system as an occasional thing but it sure did work....
This one has the stock tires on it too. I know of some one else with one with winter tires which we were going to swap over however they're simply not needed. I'm looking to buy it in the summer for some fun. Quite simply an awesome little car
Chris740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 10:30   #12
dodgyken
Master Member

There are loads of those Pandas still in use in the moutain villages over here. Excellent cars. 4*4 - skinny wintertyres - they really will go anywhere.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 12:46   #13
IanGEC
VOC Member

You can't get them for love or money here..... on on bay - £1800 and still not hit the reserve.... it is a minter but still..... now if someone could ship one over what's the going rate in Northern europe....
1989 Volvo 745 2.0 GL - Manual - Silver - F662 NSR
IanGEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 13:08   #14
loggyboy

Without a doubt 4x4 gives no advantage for anything other than initial pullaway and to a much smaller extent, steering (shared power means less chance of front wheels braking traction when combining steering and accelerating.)

90% of snow/ice traction comes from choice of tyres, nice and narrow with a tread pattern with lots of grooves (esp left to right).
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 13:24   #15
IanGEC
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggyboy View Post
Without a doubt 4x4 gives no advantage for anything other than initial pullaway and to a much smaller extent, steering (shared power means less chance of front wheels braking traction when combining steering and accelerating.)

90% of snow/ice traction comes from choice of tyres, nice and narrow with a tread pattern with lots of grooves (esp left to right).
Don't disagree on the tyres but... engine braking on all 4 wheels is surely more effective than just 2 wheels...or does nobody else do that anymore?
1989 Volvo 745 2.0 GL - Manual - Silver - F662 NSR
IanGEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 13:36   #16
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Well, having just visited a snow covered Sweden in the XC60 I can confirm that the 4x4 did make a difference, small perhaps, but still a difference.

I even got stuck once and only reverse would get me out of it!

What is really playing a major role in Volvo's and snow/icy roads are the gearbox and DSTC. The latter allowing you to put all power down while technology sorts out the take-off and you being able to go straight and stay that way.

Fantastic!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 14:06   #17
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanGEC View Post
Don't disagree on the tyres but... engine braking on all 4 wheels is surely more effective than just 2 wheels...or does nobody else do that anymore?
Engine braking has its place, and certainly on ice you don't want to make any sudden changes if you can help it so better to ease off the throttle in plenty of time before you need to stop or corner.

However, I know their are two schools of thought on this. If visibility is reduced, either because there is a blizzard on or simply because the driver behind you hasn't cleared his windscreen properly, your brake pedal is going to give him much earlier warning that you are slowing down. Engine braking doesn't illuminate your brake lights. Also, most cars these days have ABS. If you let the throttle off and consequently do a skid, what do you do? Put it back on again? How much? A very experienced driver, especially from somewhere that might get icy conditions a lot might have it down to a tee, but I personally would rather let ABS work out which wheel has lost traction and sort it out for me before the car starts to go sideways.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 20:17   #18
Libra
weighing things up

My first car was a Subaru Justy 1.2 4WD. It was 2wd until you pressed the 4wd button on the top of the gear leaver; and the few times I drove it in the snow it was great. It had summer tyres, but these where narrow which helped give it traction at accelerating and also slowing down without using the brakes - all four wheels will slow down together using the engines braking.

I had a Impreza and this was the same. Great at accelerating, cornering and braking. I now have an S60R and this has been fantastic as with it weighing 2.1 tones it seems to just keep moving on the snow, so long as you don't do anything sudden, stupid or erratic.
Libra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 20:37   #19
volvo145
Premier Member

It doesn't matter what you drive if you hit black ice.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 21:02   #20
doorman

Have you noticed how arrogant these four wheel owners have been in the severe conditions, sure they can get traction, but noticing how many of these drivers have been driving in excess of their ability to stop safely, they perhaps forget that when it comes to stopping, they are no different to fwd or rwd.
A comical note, chap I know with a Range Rover, didn't even know how to activate his auto safe decent button, they pay for all this technology, and then when it comes into its own, they haven't a clue how to use it.
And to end this thread, today I drove both a rwd & a fwd over treacherous conditions, and with proper use of correct gear selection, clutch and throttle control keeping a safe distance and proper use of steering had no problems at all.
And for you guy's who know me, your probably thinking, did he he take his 'R' AWD out the garage, and the answer is NO CHANCE!!!