Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Quick release ha ha ha

Views : 1545

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2013, 13:08   #11
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Hello, I'm back. After doing "relatively extensive" research I've learned that indeed, the front connector to the fuel filter is only available as part of the delivery pipe from Volvo. The parts man said he never saw one go so bad that it couldn't be lubed up and jiggled free. I left you out of that part of the conversation.

A friend needed the exact same repair on a Ford light truck. He used a kit to replace his rusted fuel filter connection. My nearby NAPA (BIG No. American chain) store had 'em in stock. They had them in standard sizes like 3/8" or 5/16". I believe inch sizes are still used even in Europe. The connector came with 18" of fuel line attached. Adapters are included. Additional adaptors are needed if you are connecting into metal fuel lines. Again, the NAPA store had these in stock too.

Another course of action could be to disconnect the connector you need from the fuel filter in a junk yard car and cut the fuel line connected to it. Go home with 2 feet of fuel line which you can splice into your car. One cut, one splice, you're happy

So there you have it my friend. A cure for every ill. I'm so glad mine came free. I'll be certain to lube mine with some rugged product next time I'm under the car.

You say you hung yours up and pulled the line and filter together with tie wraps? What did you make the fuel connection with? Does it drip? Kira
UPDATE II

Thanks for trying to help. One clip came off ok and then fitted to the new filter. The other end, that clip now has no internals so is a "push on" only.
To stop it coming adrift my indi wrapped 2 tie wraps around the fuel pipe, approx an inch beyond the ends of the fuel filter metal pipe ends( to make external flanges to the plastic pipe)
Then using a 3rd tie wrap, wrapped it around the plastic fuel pipe, just beyond where he placed the two Flange tie wraps. This 3rd tie wrap wants to slide down the plastic fuel pipe towards the fuel filter, but can't because of the "flange tie wraps" stopping it. A 4th tie wrap is then wrapped across the middle of the 3rd tie wrap to reduce flexing.
The joint which has no internals to the clip is bone dry after nearly a week.
My Indi says he's seen similar clips on other vehicles in the past, but at present can't remember make/model
Once we get a clip (from somewhere) the internals can be swapped over, n the job will be a goodun.

As you say could always get a length of fuel line from a breaker - just for the clip.

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 13:22   #12
RiPsTa33
Trader

Do you have a picture of the clip you require or even the fuel line
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 22:45   #13
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiPsTa33 View Post
Do you have a picture of the clip you require or even the fuel line
No, sorry. All I know its the std Volvo bit. Tried to take a pic for Kira today to show the tie wraps, but could not get enough light for camera to focus.

Suspect that the line will need to be cut to remove the useless outter clip and the pipe then fastened with a jubilee clip. Might even super glue it back on - it sticks rubber to metal very well.

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote