Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Redblock Cams

Views : 3101

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2015, 15:00   #11
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
A little porting on a 530 will get you there.

The 531 is not a very common head and comes in turbo and NA versions. Found on 740 B230ET turbo engines in the turbo form.

The factory grind cams are all fairly lame but the M is hopeless. A. D, V, K and H will all work but for power with on a NA engine a after market grind would be best for power.

Yes high compression is what you want (within limits of the fuel used) and get the block decked for best squish.

Free flowing exhaust with the option of doing the manifold will be needed. The manifold is not the best value for power compared to the rest of the system.

Chips are probably the easy way but the ideal answer is a stand alone management system to control both fuel and spark to make the most of what you have
The engine I'm going to use is a 230KH, but with the LH system from a 230F 740.

As you have all confirmed, no point in fitting the emission cam from the 740 and the T cam already in it is probably not much better.
I have an A and possible lead on a V from a friend, so either of those will be the way to go.
The engine is going in a 260 shell, and will be used for daily driving rather than drifting or towing.M46/ 3.5 diff on 185/65 15s should be ok.
But it would be nice to be able to overtake!

Do you all reckon the Renix distributor from the 240 will work with the LH?
After all, the advance and coil trigger comes via the ECU for both systems.

It would so easy to fit an electronic distributor and Stromberg, but the badge on the back says Fuel Injection...

And, no, I don't want a turbo or a whiteblock just yet, though the latter has its appeal.

Thanks for all the replies,
Jim.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 17:00   #12
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The build makes sense now.

Cam

I would use the A cam you have but it the V is cheap go for that

There is no point spending out on a cam that is not going to see you much gain and not point in a lumpy race cam for a road car

Ignition

Starting from worst to best

1) basic points distributor
2) renix system
3) kjet hall sensor distributor
4) LH ignition system
5) 123tune distributor

The Renix is a pain to change the crank sensor on and good quality king leads are in short supply. I have some but not the best quality.

For a simple injection system you could fit Kjet. The downside is they can suffer with air leaks around the injectors and not as good on fuel.

I would use a complete LH2.4 setup tbh as a complete package
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2015, 07:28   #13
heckflosse
Premier Member

thanks,
so the LH with an A cam seems favourite.
No way do I want a renix.

Next hiccup is the fuel pump.
The 260 main one is seized anyway, I was hoping to use the complete 740 LH system from the donor car (which runs well but has terrible piston slap/little end noise, and the distributor is in the wrong place).Keeping it simple and reliable is the aim, but without the fuel costs and maintenance of an old DVG carb.
Cheers,
Jim.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2015, 15:50   #14
skidje
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
A little porting on a 530 will get you there.

The 531 is not a very common head and comes in turbo and NA versions. Found on 740 B230ET turbo engines in the turbo form.

The factory grind cams are all fairly lame but the M is hopeless. A. D, V, K and H will all work but for power with on a NA engine a after market grind would be best for power.

Yes high compression is what you want (within limits of the fuel used) and get the block decked for best squish.

Free flowing exhaust with the option of doing the manifold will be needed. The manifold is not the best value for power compared to the rest of the system.

Chips are probably the easy way but the ideal answer is a stand alone management system to control both fuel and spark to make the most of what you have
Porting the 530 will indeed get you the same results as the 531

In my project the 531 will be skimmed for 0,8 mm to total height of 146 -/- 0,8 which should result in approx 10 comp. (so very safe for both 95 and obviously LPG)

Your 2,5" stst exhaust will be hopefully a good investment. Look forward picking it up next week. But I had a look in a 940 with modded B230FB engine. That one is skimmed 1,4 mm which makes it horroble on 95 but LPG goes nice. When revving this one with a folkrace cam the restiction is to be found in the inlet. The guy who did the mod claimed that the KJet inlet would help another 10-15Hp for improved air-intake assisted by 850/960m throttle) But my plans are running the D- Cam and go for torque in the lower range which seems to be very nice on a B230 N/A engine with this set up.

The engine will get a set of chips spec. designed for the B230FB with D-cam. A wasted spark seems to be another improvement for the economy so will be there also.

I will be aiming for atleast 10 km/ltr (sorry don't have the convertion to mpg)

In due time I will start a topic on this but not to the extend Steve and John H do with their projects!
skidje is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skidje For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2015, 17:17   #15
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default off topic

I have a modded kjet manifold with 960 throttle body and it did give a good increase but mine's a turbo. The other restriction are the exhuast valves but again for a NA it's barely worth it changing them.
Old Jan 28th, 2015, 17:25   #16
skidje
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkster1971 View Post
I have a modded kjet manifold with 960 throttle body and it did give a good increase but mine's a turbo. The other restriction are the exhuast valves but again for a NA it's barely worth it changing them.
But even with N/A is could be observed that the inlet was giving the restriction and not the exhaust side. This was on the 940 with 180HP which had some extra's as described.

BR
Old Jan 28th, 2015, 21:11   #17
oldskullpete

just out of interest, whats the standard cam on a late 940 lpt?
oldskullpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2015, 21:27   #18
john h
VOC Member

Smile

Hi skidje, off topic, but Steve said you might be in Yorkshire soon. When is that? Hopefully you can call in to see us and look at the projects!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2015, 22:37   #19
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default cam

The lpt is the T cam. Good for low down torque, that's about it. The exhaust valve is a restriction whether it's NA or turbo.
Old Jan 28th, 2015, 22:42   #20
skidje
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Hi skidje, off topic, but Steve said you might be in Yorkshire soon. When is that? Hopefully you can call in to see us and look at the projects!

John
Will let you know. Around tuesday/wednesday next week. Find me a nice rear seat blue velours/pluche for a saloon and i'll certainly come by in huddersfield....