Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Well, that's it then...

Views : 2720

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 09:44   #11
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabind View Post
If they were good, volvo would keep making them….just my opinion.
I had a 2020 V90, sold it back to dealer after 8 months. Boot space was useless. Went back to my S90 . Better car imho
Volvo are still making them, just not for the UK market.

Also, its both the V and and S that are no longer being sold in the UK market so bang goes your argument about the S being the better car.
Volvo will be going off sales figures to make their decision on what models to axe and clearly both V and S haven't met the mark, much like the Polestar Engineered models that Volvo pulled from New sale in the UK last year (much to my disappointment).

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 13:06   #12
neilgorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettEverett View Post
Am I right in assuming that as a result of the above models being discontinued in the UK, the used ones will hold their value better, considering there will be limited availability? May be talking rubbish, I’ve no idea how the market works in such a situation, just a random thought…
Possibly, possibly not. Depends where you start your calculator from.

There was always (at times of good supply) huge discounts to be had on the S and V models compared to the XCs.

Both my 15 V70 and 19 V60 were bought with approx £10k off list, and even the 23 reg car I've got now was just under £6000 off (£31995) - in each case some iffy pre-reg deal that dealers like to do, but a new car is a new car, no one else had sat in any of them.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 15:12   #13
MCV60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Volvo lost their way when they designed the V90 with the sloping tailgate restricting cargo area, no longer as practical as the old V70 so people opted for the SUV with a bigger load area. A big fail for Volvo and sales reflect that failing, they do look nice though but as an estate car it is not a winner.
People also like the higher seating of SUV's which are easier the get in and out of.
Personally I have never got the ‘sloping tailgate’ argument.
Having owned 2xV90 and previous gen V60. The sloping roof has never been an issue.

How many people lad past the load cover on a regular basis?

With the seats down both the previous gen V60 & current V90 are capable of loading a rectangle bale of hay. 2x adult mountain bikes with wheels attached. Copious amount of IKEA flat pack and a 2 seater sofa.
Agreed, they do look quite stylish over the Merc Eclass or VW Arteon.

I would have considered a V90CC next year when my lease is up.
But the AAOS and limited access to drive modes is likely to sway me away from Volvo altogether.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 15:22   #14
ccfcforever1987
VOC Member

I had a V90CC on order earlier in the year which was cancelled last month after the Volvo announcement regarding the CC line-up.

The dealer immediately returned my deposit without even trying to get me to buy a regular V60 or V90. At the time I thought it very odd for a dealer to just allow a customer to walk away, but I suppose it makes more sense now that Volvo have dropped the estate ranges completely.

The whole reason (for me) to have an estate is the low load height. Great for me getting stuff in the boot and great for the dogs who haven't got to leap so far to get in the boot.

SUVs just don't do it for me, so it looks like I will be going elsewhere and extremely unlikely to ever return to Volvo.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 19:27   #15
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonRypp View Post
They are still available on Volvo’s UK website.
Not on the mobile site, but weirdly still on the desktop site??
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 21:54   #16
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV60 View Post
I do. Have shifted all sorts in my car. Maybe only half a dozen times a year, but when it swallows everything it makes it definitely worthwhile. I have the full height luggage guard and black out cardboard window covers for securely loading the boot to the roof.

I once shifted 150 of 1.8m lengths of 6x1 planks in the car with 18 of 3m 4x2s on the roof in one go. No way would all that have fitted in a V90. The weight ticket said 717kg which was right on the edge of the MTPM (it was only 15 miles and to be honest I only read the weight on the ticket once I got home!)
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 22:45   #17
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Yup up to roof often, the 60 series is a bit small for us if you don't, load cover is remarkably low, but there's not a lot you can do with a mobility scooter and wheelchair but its only a couple of times a month.

Really a van would be best but don't want to drive one for the 90% of our other stuff, xc60 is already to big for most other places we go.

Old Aug 3rd, 2023, 11:28   #18
Fibrous

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
Not on the mobile site, but weirdly still on the desktop site??
They are on my mobile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9AA02C543B51-1.jpg (84.9 KB, 17 views)
Fibrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2023, 12:16   #19
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV60 View Post
Personally I have never got the ‘sloping tailgate’ argument.
Having owned 2xV90 and previous gen V60. The sloping roof has never been an issue.

With the seats down both the previous gen V60 & current V90 are capable of loading a rectangle bale of hay. 2x adult mountain bikes with wheels attached. Copious amount of IKEA flat pack and a 2 seater sofa.
Agreed, they do look quite stylish over the Merc Eclass or VW Arteon.

I would have considered a V90CC next year when my lease is up.
But the AAOS and limited access to drive modes is likely to sway me away from Volvo altogether.
Well if it suits you and you are happy great and for any Johnny no mates or anyone who do not carry family or passengers or a dog like mine but as the sales suggest not many others, me included. I took a look at one before getting my XC90, far to low, cargo area not big enough for my old english sheepdog and caravan items when towing with passengers, sloping tailgate restricting load area to a tiny area with seat in place. Yes useless as an estate but pleased you are happy with your choice and it suits your needs. Hope this explains and helps you understand the argument about sloping tailgate on an estate not suiting everyone.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Aug 3rd, 2023 at 12:29.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2023, 12:28   #20
Hogster

I've always preferred estate cars to SUVs, but I do get the whole part about SUVs being easier to get into/out of (most of my passengers moan about how low my car is). I don't know that the overall visibility is any easier when parking an SUV though.

One of my reasons for choosing the V rather than the XC was that the boot capacity was more on the V60. I would have opted for a V60CC for my next car rather than the XC60 for this reason. Also the fuel economy is better on the V/S vs XC models.

I do completely get the economics of it all though. SUVs are much more popular with the buying public, and making an electric SUV is much easier than an estate version, due to the battery packaging. However, I do think it's a shame Volvo are taking a step back from this segment, as I still think the V60 is one of the nicest looking cars on the market (not that I'm biased in any way!).

Last edited by Hogster; Aug 3rd, 2023 at 12:31.
Hogster is offline   Reply With Quote