Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T4 lpg?

Views : 2779

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2010, 11:05   #11
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Hi Mike,

conversion cost for the 164 is £1300 all in with that set up using multi point injection. The carb models are much cheaper to do at £850

Regards
Dai
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2010, 23:32   #12
GSXR_T4

Where would be the best place to place the tank in a V40 then, a cylinder mounted transversely across the boot? Or a wheel well tank?

Thanks for the replies folks
GSXR_T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:21   #13
Bhowani 2
Bhowani

Default V40/50 LPGs

Mine (Mar 2008 2.4i Auto) was converted February at Autogas 2000 Thirsk...

Tank is 61L nominal doughnut in boot, meaning 48L actual useable capacity, but bear in mind the original petrol tank is still there so range is huge. Mind you us gasmen don't carry much petrol around for obvious reasons.

The original boot floor has gone in the loft, and the new one is some 2" above the original level. You wouldn't know on casual glance as I have the
normal V50 boot mat on top.

Mileage (from new!) now 2,600m so barely run in.

Bhowani
V50 LPG
Bhowani 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 21:52   #14
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR_T4 View Post
Where would be the best place to place the tank in a V40 then, a cylinder mounted transversely across the boot? Or a wheel well tank?

Thanks for the replies folks
The most practical place to fit the tank is in the spare wheel well to keep all your load space. Provided you are not short of LPG filling stations in your area don't worry to much about getting a big capicity tank. It could be worth lifting teh floor a little to get a few extra litres in there.
If you don't realy use the load space then a cylinder in the boot would be ok if going to fill with LPG is going to be a special trip or you just need a long range. The only problem with fitting a cylinder is a estate is when it comes to re sale. If you are keeping the car untill basicaly end of life then that would not be a wory. If using a cylinder you could go for quite a bit tank if you wanted.
Old May 14th, 2010, 21:48   #15
GSXR_T4

Plenty of LPG places around me so small wheel well tank probably best.

Good idea about raising the floor a bit though.
GSXR_T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 19:27   #16
RAYC
TWR S40 PROTOTYPE

are these lpg systems car specific ? the reason i ask is because in the breakers yard i used to work in they just bin them after draining the gas or could you reuse some (if not all the parts) to bring the cost down really thinking about a conversion on mine
RAYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 22:00   #17
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Most kits are semi univarsal but you will need the correct type of system for your car.

Using second hand parts does not always pay off especialy if you end up using the wrong parts first time around. If you know enough about LPG systems then you would probably get some good bits from the scrap car. Probably best bet would be to ebay the second hand stuff and use teh money to get good quality parts for your own.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 13:57   #18
RAYC
TWR S40 PROTOTYPE

thanks that was what i was unsure off dont know much about this stuff but i could probably buy a complete system for 50-100 from the breakers might look in to it would have to get someone to install it anyway
RAYC is offline   Reply With Quote