Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Estate. Spare wheel issue????

Views : 2479

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2010, 21:17   #11
JOHN 850

My C70 also came with an 80 litre tank in the boot (get about 400miles for £50) & have been offered a tested donut tank for £50 +£50 ish for fitting. The car has a space saver which I'll just leave in the boot with the jack etc.

The only 2 other problems with it is the tank gauge on the dash says it's always full (seems to be common problem & just reset trip when you fill up), the other is when you floor it to overtake (auto) the system beeps & goes on to petrol. Press the gauge button twice which cancels the alarm & then puts it back to gas - has anyone else had this issue ?
Cheers,

John.
JOHN 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 10:41   #12
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN 850 View Post
My C70 also came with an 80 litre tank in the boot (get about 400miles for £50) & have been offered a tested donut tank for £50 +£50 ish for fitting. The car has a space saver which I'll just leave in the boot with the jack etc.

The only 2 other problems with it is the tank gauge on the dash says it's always full (seems to be common problem & just reset trip when you fill up), the other is when you floor it to overtake (auto) the system beeps & goes on to petrol. Press the gauge button twice which cancels the alarm & then puts it back to gas - has anyone else had this issue ?
Cheers,

John.
The gauge could be wired/programmed wrong , could be the float in not working and a faulty sender unit.

The switch back to petrol under load could be a possibly be a problem with the pick up pipe on the tank but only likely if it only happens when the tank is less than half full.

Most likely is the reducer is a low powered unit that is not cabable of keeping up the demands of the volvo engine. Do you know what make it is?

The other possible is simple the pressure is set incorrectly either on the reg itself or in the software. Do you know what the system is?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 12:50   #13
JOHN 850

Cheers for that Matt - the gauge problem seems to effect quite a lot systems from what I've read but will see what it's like when I get the tank swapped.
The system is a Zavoli and as it's a T5 I've got, it seems like it can't cope with the power - it does get worse the lower the fuel left in the tank though.

Thanks,

John.
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 20:46   #14
capt jack
VOC Member

My rather more humble V70 2.5 10v auto LPG conversion will also switch to petrol prematurely if the LPG is running low and I push it a bit hard, especially uphill.

I always reckoned that it was due to the low fuel level, and treated it as a useful reminder to fill up, because the LPG 'fuel gauge' is about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

As you're in God's own county, why not nip along the A1 a stop and let Autogas 2000 have a tweak?

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 17:33   #15
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN 850 View Post
Cheers for that Matt - the gauge problem seems to effect quite a lot systems from what I've read but will see what it's like when I get the tank swapped.
The system is a Zavoli and as it's a T5 I've got, it seems like it can't cope with the power - it does get worse the lower the fuel left in the tank though.

Thanks,

John.
Do you know if you have the matrix or Pan injectors? The older pan injectors are a bit hopeless and to get good tickover you would have to set the fuel flow so it would lean out at the higher end of things. The Zavoli vapouriser is not the best flowing for a higher power engine especialy a T5.

With having said that if there are any issues with the pick up pipe in the tank then the problems will be much worse. Have the inline filters been changed?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 22:17   #16
JOHN 850

Sorry don't know what type they are Matt, but the system has only been in 18mths max. so I wouldn't think the filter are bad ? Will see how it runs on the donut tank when it's installed. If you were nearer, I'd be round in a flash for you to check it out but Anglesey is a long journey for me !

Cheers,

John.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 21:38   #17
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Fitter filters

Hi John

You'll find that the filter needs to be changed every 10 to 12k miles, if not more frequently.

There's quite a bit of oily cr@p in LPG, and it can clog up the filter quite quickly.

John at Autogas 2000 reckoned once that he could even tell where a car was being fuelled, just by the state of the filter, with regular supermarket fill-ups being dirtier than the big names! Not sure if that's strictly true, but I've certainly seen the state of the filter on my V70 after 10k miles or so, and it can be pretty grim.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: