Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T4 Gearbox 'notchy' - any ideas?

Views : 2812

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 18:22   #11
v6en
Master Member

Default RE: T4 Gearbox 'notchy' - any ideas?

Hi Tom, I have a T4 as well, a 2000 model. I got the gearbox oil changed the other month at 45,000 miles; the garage i take it to for such things is not a volvo specialst, but they are performance car lovers and they know what they are doing. For the puposes of changing the car's fluids i would i either get a reputable garage ( but not volvo ) to do it, or learn how to do (some) fluid changes yourself, as volvo dealers are a total rip off for the slightest thing. If it turned out to be a mechanical problem i would of course pay them a visit and get some advice.

It could just be that your gearbox oil is burnt to a syrup and needs renewing, the most complicated part of this process from where i stood appeared to be the removal of the sump guard, which was cleverly positioned so that Dave couldn't grasp it :s.

I could change the volvo's gears with my wee finger most of the time, but as you say, on particularly cold mornings it feels less precise to start with and quickly resolves. I don't expect doing the 1/4 mile dash has helped it much mind you! Hope you get it back to normail soon.

jacqueline.
v6en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 19:29   #12
Matt_Watkins

This sound like a problem I had with my 1.8. When the engine was warm, it would make a clunking sound as I engaged 1st. We traced the problem back to a missaligned syncromesh. Good ol warrenty
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 22:11   #13
jonnie_b

Hi Tom, I have the same car as you, same age, and exactly the same symptoms. I think I might have a bash at changing the gearbox oil in the light of what's been said here, since my car's done 79,000 miles and it could probably do with it. If that doesn't sort it I may get someone to look at the linkage at the 80,000 service.

Hope you sort it out.

Jon
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 16:41   #14
sident1972
Numbskull

Unhappy Gearbox woes

Hi guys I am having mental problems with my gearbox at the mo it is really hard to get from 2nd to third and then from 4th to 5th, however it is nigh on impossible to change down from 5th, I literally have to hit it over and then juggle for a few seconds to find 4th (by which time I need third lol). I have read most of the posts on gear linkage problems and have a few questions;
1. How hard is it to change the gear box oil? and how do you go about it (am armed with tools and Haynes manual!)
2. How do you go about adjusting the linkages, is this best left to the professionals (am on a tight budget at the mo), and if so can anyone suggest a decent place near Salisbury.
I have used a guy in Southampton before, as reccomended on this Forum and he was fantastic its just that little bit too far away to be convenient!

Thanks in advance for any advice
Si
sident1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 22:13   #15
Dandle
Master Member

I changed the gearbox oil on my T4 at 73k and to be honest it was a waste of time as the oil that came out was pretty much as good as the oil I replaced it with. I changed it as I thought I had bearing noise(turned out to be Pirelli tyres causing it) and wanted to see if there was any signs of bearing wear in the oil. The gearbox on mine has always been notchy when cold since ive had it and is sometimes hard to get into first or reverse in the mornings. Changing the oil made no difference at all to this though. The oil is a Volvo only part and you cant get a spec for it from Volvo, it cost me about £12 per litre from them.

Maybe the cables being adjusted would cure it but I have read reviews which mention that the test cars were a bit notchy and if the drivers werent careful they would miss gears.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 18:53   #16
peteS40

I think the cable adjustment sounds like the best thing, or at least lubricating the linkage and maybe the cables. I think it is the case that all the T4 have the M56 gearbox with these cables even the early ones (I haven't checked that though - but someone will correct me if I am wrong!). My previous car, Skoda octavia, had a cable linkage as well and for "reasons unknown" it would always need an adjustment dunno why, but it would make a big, big difference. I think if you find that persistently only certain gears seem to be difficult to engage under all conditions, especially if we are not talking about 1st or reverse, then the linkage is most likely the fault. On my T4 (phase 2) it seems fine. The skoda I had always had real gyp finding 2nd and when in gear if you "gave it a little welly" the stick would move about more than other gears. After a linkage adjustment was all a ok though. The box on that car was pretty tight and normally the gears engaged firmly. My volvo has done many more miles so the box is fully run in, but I think it still feels quite a firm gearchange so again this points to problems with the linkage could have more affect than other vehicles with other gearboxes.

Pete
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 05:56   #17
nutzu

hi , new here. i have a phase1 volvo t4 (gearbox with reverse under 5th) i feel the gearbox also notchy sometimes in 4th gear and the reverse is also hard to engage. first and second are flawless, no problems.

i have read several opinions on this forum regarding t4 boxes that are different and are on cables. these gearboxes have also busches that usually go bad, or what is the problem? i recently changed the gearbox oil but no improvement.

thanks
nutzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 11:52   #18
loely

You all will think I am crazy but I use for every gearbox the same oil :ATF 4 (automatic tranmision fluid) witch I change every 40000 km (30000 miles).On all my cars I have never had a gear box problem .We used it even on rally cars where we change more often.I always think : if this oil is ok for a Ferrari my car will do just fine with it.
loely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 05:44   #19
nutzu

Today I took the gearbox leather cover off (just pull uprights) I see that we have cables on t4's m56 gearbox. I will buy some silicone grease and grease them. Maybe will go smoother. The cable that takes reverse is same as 4th gear so that's why I feel it weird in reverse and also in 4th.

Will post here if something changes after greasing the cable ends. In this weekend I will do some work on the car (sparkplugs, cleaning idle ctr valve, acceleration and maybe a light cleaning of engine bay)
nutzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2017, 06:21   #20
canis
Non Fragile

Cable gear changes are an abomination, and it's lazy engineering in my opinion. They will innevitably stretch, corrode, sheer through their sheaths, fray- think handbrake cables.

All that said, if they've lasted this long (100,000m?), I'd be inclined to replace them with new ones and hope to get the same longevity.
canis is online now   Reply With Quote