Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Protecting the Rear Bumper on a V70R

Views : 2165

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 15:37   #11
V70driver

Hi Gary, I bought my V70 about two months ago and noticed the previous owner had put a protective strip across the bumper to protect it while filling/emptying the boot. What he used is a black graphite effect sticky back material with a lightly "rough" coating to prevent slip. You can get something similar at Halfords or Motorbitz here on the South coast. You buy what you want and cut it to size, shape and fit. Its also quite cheap.
928 was a VERY NICE car, wouldn't have got a lot in the boot though !
Cheers
V70 driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheboy View Post
Hi guys, my v70R has been running beautifully since I purchased it about 6 montsh ago, just had a 6k service, £70. That wouldn't have bought the oil for my old Porsche 928! Anyway, I use the v70R a lot for carrying and I'm making a bit of a mess of the rear bumper...taking things in and out. The paint has got scratched etc..

Now, I want to get this resprayed but I don't want to get the rear bumper scratched again after the respray and I understand you can buy some clear tape or something to protect it - any idea where I can get this from?????

Many thanks
GARY
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 20:39   #12
chow

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheboy View Post
Hi guys, my v70R has been running beautifully since I purchased it about 6 montsh ago, just had a 6k service, £70. That wouldn't have bought the oil for my old Porsche 928! Anyway, I use the v70R a lot for carrying and I'm making a bit of a mess of the rear bumper...taking things in and out. The paint has got scratched etc..

Now, I want to get this resprayed but I don't want to get the rear bumper scratched again after the respray and I understand you can buy some clear tape or something to protect it - any idea where I can get this from?????

Many thanks
GARY
hi where are you? ive got some clear plastic tape thats fantastic it was used originally to protect the leading edge slats on dc 10 aircraft from erosion and is ideal, being very easy to fit /remove and very durable, ideal for the job your welcome to a piece if you wish
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 21:07   #13
sarge
Master Member

For V70 classic Volvo do at least three bumper protection options, all of which seem to have been mentioned:

1. Clear protective tape which is stuck to upper surface of the bumper using a dilute solution of water and screenwash ... yes screenwash! But it works;

2. The fold out material. This is quite a substantial piece of black material which is hooked in place at each side (to the cargo eyelets) and is folded out over the bumper when the tailgate is up. This is particularly useful when leaning into the boot as it hangs over the rear face of the bumper so you can keep your trousers clean;

3. A moulded plastic, self-adhesive strip in black or maybe dark grey which sits across the top surface of the bumper.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 21:21   #14
sarge
Master Member

Just saw this on e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-V70-2-4-...QQcmdZViewItem ; it shows a V70 with the third of the options I listed above.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:48   #15
porscheboy

Thanks guys, you've been a big help. The V70R does already have one of those cloth thingys to cover the bumper, but it's not much use. I've attached a couple of pics to show what "damage" I've already done to the bumper! I want to get this resprayed, but it seems pointless unless I can protect it from happening again....

GARY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010044.jpg (53.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1010045.jpg (58.1 KB, 5 views)
porscheboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:50   #16
porscheboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
For V70 classic Volvo do at least three bumper protection options, all of which seem to have been mentioned:

1. Clear protective tape which is stuck to upper surface of the bumper using a dilute solution of water and screenwash ... yes screenwash! But it works;

2. The fold out material. This is quite a substantial piece of black material which is hooked in place at each side (to the cargo eyelets) and is folded out over the bumper when the tailgate is up. This is particularly useful when leaning into the boot as it hangs over the rear face of the bumper so you can keep your trousers clean;

3. A moulded plastic, self-adhesive strip in black or maybe dark grey which sits across the top surface of the bumper.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
Sarge,
thanks for the info. The moulded plastic stuff sounds the best, but I think it'll spoil the look of the car. I'm more interested in the clear plastic stuff really - but will this really protect it enough though?
Thanks
GARY
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:52   #17
porscheboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70driver View Post
Hi Gary, I bought my V70 about two months ago and noticed the previous owner had put a protective strip across the bumper to protect it while filling/emptying the boot. What he used is a black graphite effect sticky back material with a lightly "rough" coating to prevent slip. You can get something similar at Halfords or Motorbitz here on the South coast. You buy what you want and cut it to size, shape and fit. Its also quite cheap.
928 was a VERY NICE car, wouldn't have got a lot in the boot though !
Cheers
V70 driver

Thanks V70driver, any chance you can send me a pic of this strip in action, or does it just look like the strip on the link sarge sent?

GARY
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:55   #18
porscheboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow View Post
hi where are you? ive got some clear plastic tape thats fantastic it was used originally to protect the leading edge slats on dc 10 aircraft from erosion and is ideal, being very easy to fit /remove and very durable, ideal for the job your welcome to a piece if you wish

chow, that sounds interesting!
I'm in Lincoln.

How wide is this tape? Will it cover the entire width of the bumper?

Thanks
GARY
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:19   #19
rayspurgeon
VOC Member

Default Protecting Rear Bumper

Volvo dealers stock a kit consisiting of clear protectors for top and corners of rear bumper and corners of front bumper. I bought and fitted some 6 years/112,000 miles ago and they have stayed fixed. You soak them in soapy water which makes them pliable, ease them into place and they then set into shape of underlying bumper.
Ray
rayspurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:29   #20
porscheboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayspurgeon View Post
Volvo dealers stock a kit consisiting of clear protectors for top and corners of rear bumper and corners of front bumper. I bought and fitted some 6 years/112,000 miles ago and they have stayed fixed. You soak them in soapy water which makes them pliable, ease them into place and they then set into shape of underlying bumper.
Ray

Ray, that sounds cool - any idea what kind of money these are?
Thanks
GARY