Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Head gasket issues

Views : 2817

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2014, 17:01   #11
rocketron2

Default waterseals

apart from the difference in thickness of the headgasket, the waterseals
( towards thermostat ) are avaible in 2 different sizes ( according to the thickniss of the headgasket)
rocketron2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 14:16   #12
Computer Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Are you sure that you have fitted the correct head gasket and is it Volvo or e bay?there can be very slight differences, not noticeable at first glance and yes, gaskets can be fitted upside down and wrong way round, I know because I've done it! Water can pass from jacket to cylinder at mating surface if not correct or corrosion on block top.I think that you need to lift the head again to check everything. Reminds me of a problem I had way back with an Opal Record. Turned out that during a rebuild a cir-clip that holds the gudgeon pin had been left out and the gudgeon pin had scored all the way through the cylinder wall!
I used nice Glaser head gaskets each time. Yeah, good call- I did actually get the gasket upside down the first time round, but correct the second time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
What car is this? If it's an auto with an oil cooler you could have cross leakage from the tanks in the radiator. That will also kill your gearbox.
No that doesn't relate much to the head gasket and also your lack of compression. With taking the head off to do your gasket you'll have put clean coolant in and that would take a bit of time to go black again. I can't see that the engine would run at all with those compression numbers. If the valve clearances were nil or less on the 0 figure cylinders that could account for that. Easily checked. All of the exhaust valves could be burnt out as an alternative but they would have to be really bad or have chunks missing.
Nope, it's a manual.

The coolant didn't seem to get dark slowly... it was absolutely fine for a couple of weeks, then bam, nasty and brown, and a rough-running engine.

Exhaust valves are brand new, new valve seats, 3 angle valve job. Lash set to 0.45mm all round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron2 View Post
apart from the difference in thickness of the headgasket, the waterseals
( towards thermostat ) are avaible in 2 different sizes ( according to the thickniss of the headgasket)
Interesting. I did replace the water seals the second time. They seem to make a good seal and I was using the normal thickness gasket, so presumably that's OK?
Computer Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 14:23   #13
Computer Jones

Anyone got any suggestions for making sure the block surface is clean and flat? last time I used a razorblade to remove all the old bits of gasket, and went at it with paper towels and degreaser.

Would it help to use Loctite (thread sealer, not thread locker) on the head bolts?

I will probably have one more go at this myself, if it doesn't work I'll have to save up and either get the engine professionally rebuilt or perform some kind of engine swap...
Old Apr 28th, 2014, 20:11   #14
arcturus
arcturus

Try a piece of plate glass larger than the area.Wet the surface with some lightly soaped water and press down and spread the water. You might be able to detect high or low spots and it should drag but not rock.
Old May 1st, 2014, 20:51   #15
Volvo_133
VOC member

Another issue i have had with engines though not volvo, ensure the head bolt holes in the block are clean and not partially full of corroded crud, thus preventing the head bolts from correctly torqueing the head down. After cleaning the holes, screw the bolts in (without the head on) to ensure they go in deeper than the depth of the head.
Chris.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:52   #16
arcturus
arcturus

And plenty of "copper ease"
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:50   #17
Computer Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo_133 View Post
Another issue i have had with engines though not volvo, ensure the head bolt holes in the block are clean and not partially full of corroded crud, thus preventing the head bolts from correctly torqueing the head down. After cleaning the holes, screw the bolts in (without the head on) to ensure they go in deeper than the depth of the head.
Chris.
Yeah, this is probably my main worry. The bolt holes were quite cruddy. I tried to clean them as best I could with cotton swabs and WD40 last time, but there was still a little bit of rust coming off on the swabs at the point at which I gave up after an hour...

Maybe next time I will go at them dry with a brass brush, then vacuum any debris, then maybe brake cleaner or something... I just hope there's enough good thread left for the bolts to torque correctly.

Thanks for the idea about copper anti-seize!
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 09:09   #18
teacherman

CJ do you solve the problem???
You did evriting before absolutaly corect.
Try the next test.
In Low compresion cilinders feed with inner compresion (From compresor) air via spark plag aproximately 10 bar and be careful from where will leak the air.
Think about if it is possible to have the head a crank near to the oil hole.
The head dismantle easy and you know that.
My opinion is to take off the whoole engine and tho dismantle part from part.
The spare parts to the engine aren't expensive and you have to chance to overlook every part in details.
I have done this and I dont forget now couse most ot the parts were over warn-out including pistons and rings. You can see a few if you took off only haad.
It's vintage car with many miles.
I have overhauled engines few times and i will do this for the next time.
Regards.
kaloyan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23122013413.jpg (310.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P5240661.JPG (153.6 KB, 25 views)
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 13:33   #19
arcturus
arcturus

Is that a turbo I can see in photo? It's a strange looking set up.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 07:51   #20
teacherman

It's not a strange at all, Simple B20A red block engine with custom inlet manifold and trotle from 740 series, custom air filter box and many other improvments. front gril from 144 de luxe and so on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5300679.JPG (139.9 KB, 15 views)
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote