Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why won't my DPF play up?

Views : 2219

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 17:36   #11
adsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha94 View Post
The dry DPF's on the D5 are much more reliable than the eolys fluid ones on the 1.6D engine and the smaller Volvo's with the 2.0D. :
I have an S80 with the 2.0D and as you say it's obviously engineered differently from the unit in the smaller models.

Similarly I do 4k per year, mainly short journeys with a longer journey every 6 weeks or so. Zero issues.

The DPF must have a fixed capacity - once you've done that number of miles it will need to be regenerated. For those of us who drive very little, it must be a very infrequent need for regeneration.
adsk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adsk For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 17:40   #12
green van man
Premier Member

I have used red ex diesel treatment, could not see any desernable difference before and after.
I have used Lucas fuel treatment and that did burn a load of gunk out of the system in the form of dirty smoke initially, thereafter continued use seemed to have little effect so I conclude it's useful to use it once in a while.This was on pre common rail engine.
I have used and do use 2 stroke oil, on the older technology landrover TDI it has a very noticeable effect, initially it produced a lot of dirty smoke and the engine was noticeably smoother, continued use has kept the engine smoother than without although the smoke has stopped and the exhaust is cleaner.
On the common rail Volvo I see little effect but use it in the hope it is helping keep the dpf clean, I use car lube low ash mineral 2T oil and until they closed the local store got it from B&Q on old farts Wednesday for £4 or so a litre. Compared to the Lucas £11 a litre and the red ex fuel treatment at £7 a bottle it seemed good value and just as good.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 17:55   #13
RM955I
Premier Member

Since buying my D5 (always run on supermarket fuel apparently) I was initially very disappointed with the MPG at 29 which may have been part new car syndrome i.e enjoying the power and torque. A few tanks with Redex, a couple using 2x oil and it rose to 33.6. Today I filled up with Shell V Power Nitro to see if the increased cost is offset by better MPG.

I've only done 30 miles but there seems to be an immediate and significant increase to 39 mpg but it really is too early for that to be a proper measurement. Using Shell V Power Nitro has most definitely made me more attractive to women and increased my manhood so we'll see whether it's a permanent increase or placebo.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 19:04   #14
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

I use Shell V-Power diesel in the XC (I've always used it) and like in the other cars I've used it in it has improved the MPG and it seems to make them perform a little healthier too.

I put a bottle of Millers EcoMax diesel additive in the fuel filter bowl when I changed the filter and it seemed to help but that's because it wasn't diluted.

When my Dad's Alfa 159 went for its stainless exhaust and remap the owner of the tuning company and highly respected Alfa Romeo tuner and former Ford Diesel engineer advised a brand of injector cleaner that actually works though the brand escapes me right now. That's petrol engine wise though, diesels tend not to need the injectors cleaning in this way
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 19:29   #15
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post
What amount of 2-stroke oil are you guys putting in?
The amount recommended is 300ml per 70L i.e. per tank full.

There has been lots written on various forums about the benefits of using low ash 2 stroke oil, the mineral stuff NOT the synthetic 2 stroke oil I hasten to add. If you look at the Mercedes Benz, VW, Audi-Sport, RAC and many other forums they all do say there is a benefit from using it. However all this "positiveness" is anecdotal and most motor manufacturers do not recommend its use on newer cars as this may damage the latest type of injectors and hence will invalidate any warranty that exists on the vehicle.

The only website I have found that said there was no benefit from using 2 stroke oil in diesel engine fuel was a South African website that said the addition of "2-stroke oil has a negligible effect on diesel lubricity". They did however admit that the 2 stroke oil used in their tests was synthetic (JASO FC) and not mineral based oil, this will have made the test, and subsequent results, pointless to those who mix mineral (JASO FB) 2 stroke oil with diesel fuel as there is no real comparison. In the same "Technical Study" the "tester" claimed that some fuel suppliers "may stretch their profits by blending illuminating paraffin in to the diesel" but, as I said, this test was carried out in South Africa not in the EU so who knows.

I cannot claim the addition of 2 stroke oil has improved my mpg significantly as some have (perhaps 1 or 2 mpg) but my engine definitely runs quieter especially on starting on a cold winter's morning.

PS. For those interested in "V-Power" diesel here is a Thread from 2012 that has some interesting discussions in it - it is all to do with the "cetane" number......... Whoops here is the link http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...v-power+diesel

Last edited by GrantA; Mar 22nd, 2016 at 20:36.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 19:32   #16
RM955I
Premier Member

That's the report I was referring to
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 20:29   #17
Model flyer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post
What amount of 2-stroke oil are you guys putting in?
The recommended dose is 200 : 1 . If you put too much in don't worry it won't do any damage. Remember though DONT use synthetic two stroke oil as it doesn't burn as well. Car Lube 2s oil is available for Morrison's at £2 for 500ml which will treat 100 liters of fuel.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 20:46   #18
GreenBrick
SilverBrick Lives!

If the additives were any help, surely the fuel would come with it already in? Or am I being thick?
GreenBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 21:30   #19
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Fuel does come with additives in but premium fuel has more cleaning additives and is higher quality. Regular unleaded being 95 octane, Premium being 98/99 octane and diesel being 51 cetane or thereabouts, Premium being 55 cetane. The additives are meant to be a cheaper alternative to the premium fuel.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 21:37   #20
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBrick View Post
If the additives were any help, surely the fuel would come with it already in? Or am I being thick?
Why?
Fuel has to meet a BS standard, 2 stroke in the mix is not part of that standard so why spend the money putting it in. I am no industrial chemist but IF the claims it could damage injector coatings are eventually proven what oil company wants the Hassel of the claims, remember the tesco fuel and melted lamba sensors episode a few years back, what did that cost them.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote