Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

In Tank Fuel Pump Electrical Sender Repair??

Views : 1023

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2022, 13:14   #11
Big 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Have you already done this and it worked? If so well done.

Post some pictures and words in case the repair is useful to someone else please.

Alan
So as stated I have done the fix and it works. It's not the prettiest of fixes as the corrosion on the top part is pretty bad. I will clean this up before I refit, however as a temp solution it is perfect for the job.

I ended up cutting the spare pipe down to about 5mm proud, and filed/deburred the edges so it was smooth. I fed the black and the grey wire down the tube and soldered these (and sleeved them) to the corresponding wires from the pump and the level sender (black to black and grey to the thin blue wire from level sender). I used some heat shrink where the wire goes through, and comes out underneath along with some araldite to hold the wires in place etc.

I cut out the old plastic part that held the connector on top and used the hole that was left as the earth point. I used a new nylock nut and bolt.

I will be replacing with a new unit once funds permit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221113_200041.jpg (120.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20221113_200112.jpg (118.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20221113_210049.jpg (213.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20221113_211316.jpg (163.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20221113_214254.jpg (191.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Big 240; Nov 14th, 2022 at 13:47.
Big 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big 240 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 13:52   #12
Juular

That looks like an elegant and well thought out fix. That'll last ages.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 13:54   #13
Big 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
That looks like an elegant and well thought out fix. That'll last ages.
As I'm fairly new to this site I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not... but I don't think it is..... so thank you
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 13:56   #14
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 240 View Post
So as stated I have done the fix and it works. It's not the prettiest of fixes as the corrosion on the top part is pretty bad. I will clean this up before I refit, however as a temp solution it is perfect for the job.

I ended up cutting the spare pipe down to about 5mm proud, and filed/deburred the edges so it was smooth. I fed the black and the grey wire down the tube and soldered these (and sleeved them) to the corresponding wires from the pump and the level sender (black to black and grey to the thin blue wire from level sender). I used some heat shrink where the wire goes through, and comes out underneath along with some araldite to hold the wires in place etc.

I cut out the old plastic part that held the connector on top and used the hole that was left as the earth point. I used a new nylock nut and bolt.

I will be replacing with a new unit once funds permit.
Excellent, well done - and that is a really good 'how to' post should anyone else need it.

Why would you waste money on a replacement if it works? It looks to me like it will last the life of the motor car.

Alan
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 13:58   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
As I'm fairly new to this site I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not... but I don't think it is..... so thank you
Certainly not! Juular is a very well respected correspondent; he has produced some excellent low cost fixes (have a look at his 240 and Amazon project threads, they are a really good read).

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312429

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324503

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Nov 14th, 2022 at 14:06.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 14:09   #16
Big 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Certainly not! Juular is a very well respected correspondent; he has produced some excellent low cost fixes (have a look at his 240 and Amazon project threads, they are a really good read).

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312429

Alan
I certainly will take a look thanks.

I was only checking as I have come across from the world of VW's (been driving them since I was a kid Beetles. Type 3's etc) and it's a slightly different world on the VW forums. Not too dissimilar, so I'm still seeing what counts as banter on here

I have made many How-To guides on the UKPassat forum and I intended to do the same for this one as I took plenty of pics when I replaced the pump too. I want to get it cleaned up a little first then I'll post the How-To etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Big 240 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 14:13   #17
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

I was only checking as I have come across from the world of VW's (been driving them since I was a kid Beetles. Type 3's etc) and it's a slightly different world on the VW forums. Not too dissimilar, so I'm still seeing what counts as banter on here

I have made many How-To guides on the UKPassat forum and I intended to do the same for this one as I took plenty of pics when I replaced the pump too. I want to get it cleaned up a little first then I'll post the How-To etc.
Good. I think everyone in the 200 section is pretty sincere and genuine.

We like 'how to' guides and project threads a lot.

:-)
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 17:05   #18
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:

Hi Big240,

As an ex owner of 2006 Audi A6 Allroad, and VW Audi forum user, I joined around a year or so ago on purchasing a '94 940 Estate.

I can definitely confirm that based on my experience on here, virtually all contributors are helpful and courteous, and occasionally posts may also be humorous. I certainly came across some threads on the VW/Audi forum where posts were just downright rude/abusive.

Othen (aka Alan) is being far to modest to suggest looking at some of his own threads, but some excellent ones on various 204 projects. Also agree Juular has some excellent threads on his projects.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 17:25   #19
Juular

Quote:
Not sarcasm at all. Nicely done!
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2022, 11:07   #20
Big 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
Not sarcasm at all. Nicely done!
Cheers man, I will be cleaning up the top and using some rust inhibitor to try and stop the rot. I have always enjoyed thinking laterally when problem solving it can save much money haha