Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 with some problems

Views : 3712

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2013, 19:04   #11
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcForrest View Post
Another question: Where is the fuel filter? I'm assuming it's on the under carriage as I've examined the engine bay and found diddly.
Two types of fuel filter are fitted depending on year and both are in the same location. The early cars had a metal cannister filter which just screws off and is replaced with a new one. On later models the fuel filter is located inside a black plastic circular housing on the floorpan directly in front of the rear offside wheel.
Lie on the floor and look onto floor in that location and you will see/feel it
On the bottom of the fuel filter body is a thumbscrew which if released a turn or so will drain diesel from the filter into a container.

When done, put an oil filter wrench around the housing and unscrew it. It will be very tight and will feel as though it about to break but doesnt.

Once unscrewed, if yours is the black plastic type remove the paper element noting direction and replace with new one. Put on new rubber o ring in place of old one just above threads for the casing making sure it is seated correctly.

Replace black outer casing and ensure thumscrew has been fully tightened.

Try to start car and keep key turned until it fires ( remember you are re priming the system ). It may run for a second or so and cut out. Just restart it and it will settle down.

Check for leaks.

20 minutes tops and around £60 in Volvo labour saved.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 19:13   #12
MalcForrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
It's telling you to go to a Volvo dealer and pull your pants down

Seriously though, it means you need to read the codes and remedy the underlying cause of the codes.

It's located under the car just forward of the offside rear wheel.

Quite. So not beyond the realms of possibility that they have made other mistakes...

If you are stuck, then I can read / clear the codes for you here (west Edinburgh).

I've read the OBD using a basic Sealey VS8700 code reader which brought the previous code mention up no problem. Since I cleared the faults they have never re-appeared, however, the "Engine Service Required" does and each time I'll re-check the ecu for fault codes, and nothing appears. I've also got a laptop with American Software I used to use, which I'll try, but failing this I'll give you a shout.

I also found another Thread on the site of others experience of the same fault, and it's been caused from things such as Fuel Pump failures, MAF sensors to clogged EGR, Fuel Filters needing replaced, damaged/worn Intercooler hoses etc.

Tomorrow I plan to give it a thorough look over before throwing the towel in
MalcForrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 20:24   #13
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

What year car is it?

Old Jan 13th, 2013, 21:08   #14
MalcForrest

It's a 2004 D5 Se sport pre-face lifted
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 21:36   #15
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
It's a 2004 D5 Se sport pre-face lifted
Well in that case you can discount the swirl arm assembly which throws up the same message. That is only fitted to later cars. In addition you have no DPF to worry about.

Definitely fuel filter changed first.

Old Jan 13th, 2013, 21:47   #16
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

the code readers that you have got can and may give you false codes the only way forward is to take Yossers offer of a read that way we will have the original volvo codes whilst using the volvo equipment
mike
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 17:28   #17
MalcForrest

Well today I had the car up and gave it a thorough looking over. I've attached a photo of the filter removed (note the bright yellow band) so I was unsure if it was dirty or not, but changed it anyway

Items carried out:

Glow plugs (cleaned and refitted)
New fuel filter
3/4 litre of oil as it was low

Once the fuel system was primed and engine running, I had a look underneath and examed for any leaks or soot. Made sure all the trouble spots like turbo actuator, intercooler and plumbing, fittings were all in order and it seems very well looked after.

I'm hoping that since its been nearly 12k since anything was done to the car, it's been a simple case of light TLC and she's back to doing what the swedes do best..... Keep going

I'll keep you's posted on any developments

Thanks for the assistance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (273.3 KB, 19 views)
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 17:34   #18
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Well today I had the car up and gave it a thorough looking over. I've attached a photo of the filter removed (note the bright yellow band) so I was unsure if it was dirty or not, but changed it anyway

Items carried out:

Glow plugs (cleaned and refitted)
New fuel filter
3/4 litre of oil as it was low

Once the fuel system was primed and engine running, I had a look underneath and examed for any leaks or soot. Made sure all the trouble spots like turbo actuator, intercooler and plumbing, fittings were all in order and it seems very well looked after.

I'm hoping that since its been nearly 12k since anything was done to the car, it's been a simple case of light TLC and she's back to doing what the swedes do best..... Keep going

I'll keep you's posted on any developments

Thanks for the assistance
Did you test the Glowplugs to see if they were working when you had them out ? They can actually be checked in situ with a multi meter.

Last edited by S60D5-185; Jan 14th, 2013 at 17:40.
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 17:49   #19
MalcForrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Did you test the Glowplugs to see if they were working when you had them out ? They can actually be checked in situ with a multi meter.
Naa to be honest they looked like they had been replaced not so long ago. It started a lot better. But I'll maybe try tomorrow, give them a check to be sure
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 13:18   #20
MalcForrest

Well that was short lived. Just went I thought £25 might have solved the problem, on my back from Edinburgh the message "Engine service required" appeared.

Ran a diagnostic and fault code P0087 low fuel pressure was detected. Hopefully this was an underlying code after yesterday when I changed over the fuel filter, and had to bleed the air from the system.

I'll keep you all up to date, but should it persist then I may be calling for the assistance of Yosser if that's okay?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MalcForrest For This Useful Post: