Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parts availability

Views : 1263

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:58   #11
Suterman
240 Turbo

Volvo in Telford are very friendly and helpful but we all know that its not cheap.

The nearest GSF to me is a good hour into Brum, I used them once but its too far to go twice, once to pay/order and once to collect.

I try to get copycat parts if I can, but the place I go to get it wrong pretty much every time. I recently had to return a thermostat that was wrong, it wasn't even for a Volvo, it wouldn't fit in the boss in the head anyway, I got a replacement and it was the same wrong part again!! (I gave them an old volvo one to compare and said to come back to me when they get the right one)

Need some engine mounts and a gearbox mount too but these are Genuine Volvo parts only according to the shop that get it wrong (maybe they're wrong on this one too)
1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 13:37   #12
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

I have had quite a few problems with afetr market parts. For example I fitted Scantech strut top mounts. These lasted me less than a year and the warranty replacement one again under a year. The genuine Volvo one looks as good as the day I fitted it. Track rod ends from Euro Car Parts one failed the MOT the following year. B ottom ball joint - just over a year. Engine mounts again from ECP falling apart wihtin months. Volvo diesel ones fitted instead again still like new. Front wishbone bushes same story. Fan belts - problems getting a matched pair - Volvo ones come as a pair. Dizzy caps loosing central electrode, rotor arms failing. Leads that are either faulty or last about 5000 miles. Spark plugs would rate NGK and Bosch apart from Volvo but most others are a waste of time. Found Bilstein shocks last over 100,000 but many other makes nothing like as good. Brake pads - some makes don't last and produce a hell of a lot of dust unlike Volvo ones. Batteries have known Volvo ones last for 10-15 years but also found Bosch very good. Brake discs again vary very much in quality currently use ATE which seem to last.
With my mileage about 130,000 in 4 years it gives me a chance to evaluate the life of parts especially as the car has a very hard life, enthusiastic driving of back roads, towing a lot and many motorway miles. On some items I would say there is no problem with non genuine parts especially if the care has only light use or on a very limited budget. For me it is false economy as it ends up costing me more plus spending more time working on the car.
If there was the demand I am sure I could get some reasonable discount to pass on with things like the engine electrics - it would mean a little pre-plannng though.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 19:01   #13
Suterman
240 Turbo

heh, My car has covered 10000 in the last five years, 7000 of that in the last 12 months.
1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 21:10   #14
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Mike, I know you said to me that you 'swear' by OEM parts. Now that I understand that you are covering around 32.5K a YEAR in cars that are pushing, if not past 20 years old I understand the reasoning!

Most of us (me certainly) I guess are struggling to cover 6k in ours! So can get by with the odd copy-part here & there.

Yours certainly have a hard life when most cars of that age would be in some kind of 'retirement' or lesser marques on the 'great heap'!

Yours truly are 'testimony' to the quality of a true Volvo!
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 22:00   #15
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Its funny but the last time i went to halfords they had most of what i needed on the shelf..they supplied me the wrong rotor...no doubt in time it will inevitably get harder to just pop in and grab even the most simple of part...my main problem is getting tyres on demand...they always have to be ordered in and have even had to put crossply comercial tyres on the back..not ideal..(the shame).i wonder what that would do my fuel economy?...saying that these tyres will probably last for years!!...
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote