Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

760 GLE in Fuel Sipping Shocker

Views : 1499

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2007, 11:00   #11
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyken View Post
I tend to enjoy flexing the right foot - especially when the 760 can burn off a Peugeot 307 from the lights - which the 307 driver was upset about.

I really like the flexibility of the engine/gearbox combo - and she does waft along A-roads at 60ish without problem.

Les - Yep - the GLE has the V6 - and because it is an 88 model it is endowed with the B280E - which means more power and torque and apparently a less Oliver Reed like thirst. In the words of Ricky Tomlinson - "My arse"
Yeah, I know the problem with the lead right foot. So far on half a tank, I have done 105 miles in mine. Granted its a chipped turbo car but guess i am getting about 14-15 mpg on mixed runs (town driving for 50 miles and a longish trip of 50 miles.)
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:52   #12
dodgyken
Master Member

I got 220 out of half a tank at the weekend - get in there!!!!

I can get 220 out of the Z4 on half a tank - and the tank is only 55litres!

PS I love the fabric on the the pillars of the 760 - that velvety touch is great. Also the dash in mine is he later one - the one that they kept using until the V90 went out of production - so the car feels quite young.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 22:21   #13
motoredel

Default mpg etc...

hello'ello!

interesting thread this - i'm from switzerland and we don't have any idea what a gallon is around here, so i was just wondering: how many litres to the gallon then?

thanks in advance! the Ed
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 22:50   #14
Velorum
VOC Member

My 760 never suffered from coolant loss in my ownership though the previous owner said that he had problems. Numerous examinations by mechanics failed to find the cause. It then just stopped happening of its own accord. Odd.

I found it a difficult car to drive slowly, I loved the sound of that V6 and the way the power flowed in. I remember driving back from Manchester late one night thinking that I was cruising at around 85 - I looked down at the speedo and saw to my horror that I was doing 100+. Visions of my licence disappearing before my eyes - scary!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 00:58   #15
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hutchinson View Post
I remember driving back from Manchester late one night thinking that I was cruising at around 85 - I looked down at the speedo and saw to my horror that I was doing 100+. Visions of my licence disappearing before my eyes - scary!
The last time I did that my coolant hose went bang! (this was a renault gluguna 2.2d) I still havent learnt, Car was fine, the heater matrix hose had developed a bulge, and combined with 4,500 rpm at 120mph, thats enough to make it go byebye! snipped off the hose, remade the connection and trip down the reen for a few bottles of water, andim back on the road. caugh up with that cocky saxo driver that honked at me... he want best pleased!!

What sort of mileage am I looking at for my 765 turbo diesel? I do a lot of motorway driving, 250 miles each weekend back and forth to west wales. Am I likely to have enough for a weeks running around like my laguna, that took 1/4 tank there, 1/4 back and 1/4 for 40 mles worth of commuting. altogether 290 miles.
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:01   #16
dodgyken
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoredel View Post
hello'ello!

interesting thread this - i'm from switzerland and we don't have any idea what a gallon is around here, so i was just wondering: how many litres to the gallon then?

thanks in advance! the Ed
282.5/ MPG = l/100km

282.5/ L/100km = MPG
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote