Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'Volvo - Ultimate estate or lost opportunity

Views : 2094

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 11:04   #11
bened

Hi James_N,

Thanks for the link, just tried it now but it wont let me register?! Have you had any probs with the site lately?

Cheers
bened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 13:11   #12
James_N
VOC Member

They have had problems with the site actually. If you want me too, me, or one of the members here that is also on turbo bricks, will post the thread up on your behalf?
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 13:19   #13
bened

Hi James,
That would be fantastic if you could post it up on that site for me!
Thanks again.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 13:32   #14
James_N
VOC Member

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=973800
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 14:54   #15
222s
Amazoniste

1. a) age 26
b) Sex m/f M
c)Occupation Yacht Designer
d)Family size 2 (for the moment)
e)Car model and fuel type '67 Amazon 122S estate, 2.0 petrol

2. Why do you have an estate and what do you use it for?
It was a family hand down (bought when I was 13), so I've always liked it - I acquired it when I graduated & needed a larger car to move all my stuff back home. It gets used for everything from commuting, long distance driving, taking rubbish to the dump, towing (see sig pic ), moving house, and even displaying at classic car shows. If I could have only one car, this one fulfills everything I need. It also has excellent visibility, compact overall dimensions (when parked side by side, it's noticably smaller than dad's 855) than other estates with a similar or lesser load capacity.

3. Is image important and what statement do you want your estate to project about yourself?
TBH, image doesn't interest me much, but the quality of the product does. However, I wouldn't buy a modern BMW, VW, Merc or Audi as I object to paying extra for a supposedly 'prestige' image - I don't buy overt (& overpriced imo) designer label products for the same reason. Not sure what image mine projects as it gets both positive (including from several neighbours, despite it being the oldest & scruffiest car in the street by a long way!!!) & also a few negative comments. However, I like its distinctiveness compared to most other cars on the road, which are sleep inducingly anonymous - some through boring styling & others since they're just everywhere. If anything, I like the fact that it doesn't really fit with any image stereotypes.

4. How could your estate be improved

A bit less rusty!!!! Seriously though, there is little that could be improved, and the split tailgate arrangement (with swivelling number plate to allow the car to be driven legally with the lower tailgate folded down) is so much more practical for everyday use as well as for carrying large loads. No modern estate has this, & the window opening that a few have is actually pretty useless in comparison.... If Volvo produced a new estate in a similar ethos to my Amazon, then I might be tempted to buy one, but I doubt it will happen.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Nov 25th, 2006 at 15:53. Reason: spelling.....
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 15:50   #16
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

a) age: 24
b) Sex m/f: M
c)Occupation: Stuntman, actor, Equestrian
d)Family size: Me
e)Car model and fuel type : Modified 240 estate,

2. Why do you have an estate and what do you use it for?
I initially bought it for a tow car as it was used to haul a horsebox about, and carry saddles and riding gear. Then it gfraduated to being my everyday car after really falling inlove with it. Then I switched from auto to maual, then wsitched the engine followed by the running gear and rear axel. I now use it for evrything from carrying my 4 jack russels about, to towing my horsebox, and the occasional track day drift session

3. Is image important and what statement do you want your estate to project about yourself?
Well As you may see from the project section (TULIP) image is something I dont worry about, I've done things only people can dream about and I've realised the only opinion that matters is your own (oh and the girlfirend hated it, but came round and drives it whenever she gets a chance) The statement would be probably loud, proud and not shy

4. How could your estate be improved
Erm, maybe a chevy LS1 V8 would be nice coupled with four wheeled drive, that maybe the next estate project! Fuel economy doesnt matter as much to me, as the car was cheap, and running it means there's a little less demand for new cars to be made, so in my own way I'm saving the planet!
1989 245 GL(T) - Modified Tulip (Died 01.01.2007)
1996 460 Turbo - Scrap metal (11.01.2007)
1986 245 GL - Dead
1982 240 GLT - Rust bucket, all parts saved
1989 745 GL - Sold and still going
1989 440 Xi - Sold and still going
1988 240 GLT - Dead
1989 360 GLT - Stolen
1988 360 GLT - Twisted shell!!

Erm....I've lost my keys again darling.
tuning_redblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 15:28   #17
bened

Hi Paul,
Just remembered, my dad used to have a Volvo Amazon when i was a kid, think it was a saloon tho, was really nice. It was a sun bleached light pastely blue colour, he really regrets selling it too. lol Yours looks in really good condition.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 21:30   #18
crusher
VOC Member

Default Project

a) age = 53 (nearly 54)
b) Sex m/f = male
c)Occupation = I work on the railway
d)Family size = Me, my wife and a smallish dog
e)Car model and fuel type = 1996, 855 GLT 20v Auto

2. Why do you have an estate and what do you use it for? The original reason I bought a Volvo estate (many moons ago) was because I had to move house and it was cheap! However, it grew on me and since then I have rarely driven/owned anything else. The load carrying capabilities are great - Not many estate cars easily take two bales of hay and I've moved myself, my two grown up children and carried a myriad of large, awkward shaped items all over the country. Still do. The dog loves it. Myself and my wife are large people and it is great to be able to drive hundreds of miles and still be able to walk at the end of it.
3. Is image important and what statement do you want your estate to project about yourself? When I was younger and drove a Volvo estate, I got called an old bloke. Now I am an old bloke!! I'm still driving one, so I guess image has never mattered to me. Never even considered projecting a statement!
4. How could your estate be improved ? Can't think of much. Making them cheaper to buy and run would be good.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 20:05   #19
bumble

1. a) age 29
b) Sex m/f m
c)Occupation Gardener
d)Family size 2..... no kids or dog
e)Car model and fuel type '88 740GL estate with B200

2. Why do you have an estate and what do you use it for? I have had volvos since I learnt to drive. Getting the estate I wanted 4 years ago was just a natural step. Since I am now a gardener I use it to pull massive trailers and load gear into. If I didn't need the it for work I would have a 700 saloon. If I had the space to do it up I would have a project Amazon.

3. Is image inportant and what statement do you want your estate to project about yourself? Not highly but I am happy it doesn't send out the sort of statement I feel is given by Range Rovers and BMW drivers.

4. How could your estate be improved Fuel economy has been suggested - not good on the 2 litres. It would be nice if they had made more 3L engines with manual gear boxes. The electrics are always troublesome and if I had a project 700 I would just reloom from scratch.
bumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 17:46   #20
bened

thanks alot for all the help!