Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel MPG

Views : 2181

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2015, 13:39   #11
andymcp
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
What would you call woeful though?

Wifes trip statistics are sitting at 37mpg, which includes a load of idling whilst fiddling with things and checking things out. (don't quite understand the screen stats yet!).Furthermore thus far 95% of her driving has been around town, start stop, cold engine, 2 mile drive, stop then cold engine then start again. Trip computer is around 29mpg each reset. She is on her 3rd tank.

I am pretty sure once motorway miles, or long B road miles are undertaken, then 45+ would easily be seen,(she got nearly 40 from my D5 60) which would be around 50mpg in the comparable diesel?

Interestingly, and I have said this regards XC60 D5 as well that mpg on the computer trip 'instant' readout is generally higher(=better) in 5th gear than 6th

Glad you like your car btw, although I have decided I don't like you anymore as yours is very high spec.....

Regards
In comparison, I'd have considered mid 30s-40 as woeful, but that's mainly based on my experience of smaller petrol engines on that particular road. It's very hilly, and to keep momentum you really need to work a petrol hard. The D2 appears to have just the right grunt in gear to save you from having to constantly work the gearing.

On the flat, or on longer main road runs, I'm sure the gap between the two engines would be less but I've had petrol rental cars of all sorts up and down that road and the difference between them and pretty much all diesels is noticeable. Having said that, I haven't tried a petrol V40 so more than happy to be proved completely wrong.

Did the same run in my D4 V60 last night, got a 53mpg result. Not too bad I suppose given the extra weight it has to lug around. Haven't started to use Fuelly on the V40 yet, but regularly resetting the trip computer to get a decent idea of mpg. I'm very impressed with the whole car so far, although I'm still not allowed to use it too often....

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 02:48   #12
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Our D2 does 70 odd mpg without really trying to take it easy. Diesel for me every time.