Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sim card

Views : 3075

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2023, 14:38   #11
Franko1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged View Post
Yes, as per this page, servicing at a Volvo dealer entitles to you a free 12 month / 100GB SIM:
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/l/service/free-wifi/
Must ask next time I am in with the dealer
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 14:12   #12
Tonyr027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddish View Post
I do have a good amount of data on iPhone 13, but to hotspot I have to switch it on the phone every time I get in the car for it to connect. Even though hotspot on phone is never off and phones Wi-Fi is saved in car.

I haven’t put a sim in the car, but found a 3 sim in the boot slot.
As car was owned by Volvo for its 1st year and me
The last 2 1/2, I assume it was their SIM card.
I had the Three data sim but when it expired I simply set up both our iPhones to connect as hotspots. They connect automatically dependent which one of us is using the car.

2023 XC60 B4 Plus Thunder Grey - Blond Interior
Tonyr027 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonyr027 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 17:14   #13
Raddish

So I rang Marshals Volvo Nottingham yesterday just before midday, and lady said she’d post one out. Just after midday today it arrived and she’s emailed my the set up instructions. Probably tool 20mins but all
Sorted now.
Raddish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raddish For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 12:59   #14
Discoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
And what if the OP doesn't have unlimited data on his phone?
I did say if and I would hope he could answer that question himself rather than needing a proxy. I guess we fall into different camps in terms of using internet features or not and wishing to hotspot or not if we do. Nice to have the choice, just trying to save the OP some money.
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 14:41   #15
Tonyr027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
I did say if and I would hope he could answer that question himself rather than needing a proxy. I guess we fall into different camps in terms of using internet features or not and wishing to hotspot or not if we do. Nice to have the choice, just trying to save the OP some money.
I have only 10gb per month on my IPhone and have had no issues using it for the Sensus navigation system traffic updates. I don’t use Spotify or other apps unless I’m in our Honda were I use Waze & a Radio App.

When we have our next service in June I will probably ask about a data sim.

2023 XC60 B4 Plus Thunder Grey - Blond Interior
Tonyr027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 18:10   #16
Topcat1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddish View Post
So I rang Marshals Volvo Nottingham yesterday just before midday, and lady said she’d post one out. Just after midday today it arrived and she’s emailed my the set up instructions. Probably tool 20mins but all
Sorted now.
Thanks to your post.
I also contacted the dealer that I purchased my V60 from last week and they also have sent one to me.
Just need to now get it to work!

Works ok using a hotspot on my iPhone.
Topcat1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 18:52   #17
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat1958 View Post
Thanks to your post.
I also contacted the dealer that I purchased my V60 from last week and they also have sent one to me.
Just need to now get it to work!

Works ok using a hotspot on my iPhone.

Insert the sim into the holder

Turn on the in car modem in settings

iirc you should now be able to use the password (changed by you) to wifi to tablets and phones

There might be another step to activate it and there is another thread knocking about that explains it better.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2023, 01:23   #18
Bash D Bishop
Volvo Virgin

I'm on my 3rd 3 sim bought on Amazon for £35. 24Gb is valid for 2 years. Time has ran out before the data.

Three Mobile Pay As You Go Mobile... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M3VJ2...p_mob_ap_share
Bash D Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 00:39   #19
silo24

And, to be ultra clear for people....as this comes up fairly often....

If you don't have an active SIM in the car and rely on Bluetooth tethering or WiFi hotspot, you WON'T be able to use the VOC app to lock/unlock/remote start the car.

Personally, those capabilities are important to me, so I'll always have a SIM installed. I usually go with Lebara....runs on Vodafone and rarely Costa me more than £3 a month of you hop around the offers
silo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 08:47   #20
Mad Malc

[QUOTE=silo24;2878533]And, to be ultra clear for people....as this comes up fairly often....

If you don't have an active SIM in the car and rely on Bluetooth tethering or WiFi hotspot, you WON'T be able to use the VOC app to lock/unlock/remote start the car.

This statement is not true. I use the three data sim in my phone and use hotspot when in the car. I can lock/unlock, flash lights/horn and start the car remotely plus all the other app features are available. I have NO active sim in the car to do this.
Mad Malc is offline   Reply With Quote