Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

265 GLE - Proud new owner

Views : 8077

Replies : 87

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 16:20   #1
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb Spiers View Post
I'm loving the Virgos!
How much should a set of these set me back?

Cheers pal!
Likely you'll get a set for £150 or a bit less.
Keep your eyes peeled on these forums as they do come up every now and then...
Ian sold a set recently, bit more than the above price if I remember.
Also keep eyes on ebay.
Check Salvo and Braydons as well.

Welcome, BTW, to the forums. Enjoy your new Volvo and your time here..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 16:25   #2
brens-s80
VOC Member

Default nice one

hi seb,

looks like a real beauty you've got there and fair do's to your granddad for keeping it so well. Virgo's would set this off nicely. Get yourself a Haynes Manual ( green version ) as it contains lots of useful info and not forgetting this forum as the help you will get here will make you want to keep it running and running.

best of luck

brendan
brens-s80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 16:21   #3
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Hi Seb and welcome to the forums

Lovely-looking car and the same age as my gold one, but you have the rare manual-gearbox one - lucky you. I used my first one (also metallic blue) as a tow-car, and it was brilliant, if a little thirsty. However, the rust got a serious hold so it went to be a source of spares for a 262.

My 50k mile gold one also has a small place needing a repair just behind a rear mudflap - you can see daylight through a bit of the spare wheel-well! Apart from that, almost mint and drives like a train. Otherwise its stock, the way it will be kept.

According to the DVLA freedom-of-information channels I researched last year (via these Forums) there are only a few 260/264/265 left - differing models have survival numbers varying from just three cars to about 30. Yours being manual, it might be the former category, so look after it !

Don't listen to people running it down - I had a stupid ignorant tart stop and criticize me when I was putting new rear shocks on my show-164, but such simpletons don't realise most of the energy a car consumes from birth to death comes from the manufacturing and scrapping process itself. By keeping the old cars going we are helping keep the planet from becoming a totally throw-away society AND keeping all the spares suppliers in business.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 08:52   #4
John Tancredi
240inNZ

Quote:
So I guess what I'm looking for here is some advice on the wheels, and any other advice or ideas on the car in general.
Thanks
Hi Seb, try to keep it as original as possible... In the end originality always pays! If you do change anything, try to hang on to the original parts so you (or a future owner) can return it to factory spec.

Also, make sure you enjoy the car... "They don't make them like they used to."

All the best, John.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 08:57   #5
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I would agree I would try and keep it original/standard but I think adding GLT alloys would not detract from it and also the original wheels can be put back on. My personal view is that by adding the alloys will enhance the appearance of the car.
Best of luck and enjoy your 265.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 13:08   #6
Matthews 855 T5
Master Member

I like it, my first Volvo was a 1982 265 GLE. It was silver and had the sunburst alloys. I was 20 years old and the insurance was 300pounds a year fully comp, not bad in 1991.

Yours is very rare as it is fitted with the manual/overdrive transmission, most were automatic. It should get around 27mpg on a run.

Period accessories are hard to find (like uprated Volvo cassette player - alloys etc) so I would enjoy it as it is and keep resolving the rust bubbles and oil changes.

Personally I like the patina of the leather but I would get a set of floor trays/mats to save the carpet. Does the small square steering wheel inset say 'VOLVO or Volvo GLE'? the latter is correct but its trivial.
Matt
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 13:38   #7
PTJS
Master Member

Quote:
Hi There,

I've just taken ownership of a 1980 265 2.7 GLE (pictures attached).

It's only done 71k and its older than I am! It was my granddads car from new and it cost me nothing. I don't really want to sell it as it has sentimental value, I'm making a little project of maintaining it and adding a few bits and pieces. Nothing ridiculous but maybe a Garrett turbo and some nitrous (joking).

I've already replaced the flat battery with one from the local scrapyard for £15 (KwikFit wanted £100!!!) so now it starts without a jump. Its taxed and tested until May next year at which point ill have to decide if its worth spending £235 on another years tax and MOT. Its 100% mechanically sound from what I can tell and drives fine.

I'm going to fix the 3 small rust patches it has, one behind each of the rear mud flaps, and one on the boot lid.

I might shell out a small amount on some alloy wheels and new tires, but I've not got the foggiest what would fit on the car without any hassle.

So I guess what I'm looking for here is some advice on the wheels, and any other advice or ideas on the car in general.

Thanks
Hi Seb

If you've not already done so I would get all the carpets up, the boot liners out, expose the front door pillars by lifting the internal trim and check you don't have any serious rust issues. The sill bungs can be lifted out while you have the carpets up. While at this stage give all these areas a generous blast of waxoyl. With regards to the engine bay I would just buy a couple of cans of WD40 and spray it everywhere, including the inner wings etc, this will transform it for a few quid. When you wipe it off the engine bay will be nice and clean and the corners where you can't wipe it off will be where the rust is so it will soak in and be a short term rust preventative. I do my 240 and XJ6 engine bays every three or four months and its well worth it.

If the body is sound you can always bolt on new mechanicals as and when needed. If the motor is a good runner then knowledgeable routine servicing is the key. As its low mileage for its year you should have years of service and enjoyment ahead of you. Good luck!

Phil
PTJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 18:13   #8
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJS View Post
Hi Seb

If you've not already done so I would get all the carpets up, the boot liners out, expose the front door pillars by lifting the internal trim and check you don't have any serious rust issues. The sill bungs can be lifted out while you have the carpets up. While at this stage give all these areas a generous blast of waxoyl.

Phil
I might just do this with mine...
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 20:03   #9
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16yr old with a 1980 244 View Post
I might just do this with mine...
When I checked the inside of the sills on my GL I was shocked to see how much general rubbish was in there. I suspect that the car had been parked under trees a lot - it really is worth getting inside there and checking! There were a load of dry leaves in the vent piping etc - took me ages to get rid of it all. The air intake grill just in front of the windscreen is a silly design - it allows all manner of rubbish in that will eventually find its way to the sills via the drain pipes. My 760 had a fine mesh fitted inside the intake and my 340 has a plastic mesh fitted - both work really well. You used to be able to get a cover (called a snow cap I think) that would fit over the 240 intake but they are hard to get a hold of now. Ive seen them on ebay on occasion and I believe that there are some USA manufactures ones - but its pretty difficult to get a hold of them. Their not a 100% solution though as Ive heard that they are prone to blowing off at high speed.....................

My GLT sills were completely clear of any rubbish with a nice thick coat pf waxoil - one of the benefits of buying from an obsessional owner!
Velorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 20:54   #10
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Talking

Ian, with regards to the "snow cap", guess what i bought earlier (i.e. before you posted that!)

will give more details in my project thread later
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote