Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on buying a Selekt S90 please

Views : 1422

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2023, 22:51   #11
SlapNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniepaz View Post
Thank you. Thats good to know. The best examples available that meet my criteria are in scotland and im in the south east. so delivery is the only realistic way i could get them.
I’m in south east aswelll. Fancy taking a drive up Scotland in my xc90 inscription polestar. I love long drives so happy to take you up. Just buy me coffees along the way 😁. If you do purchase it then you get to drive it down and fully test it. Win win.

Regards
Slapz
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 23:19   #12
vinniepaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapNutz View Post
I’m in south east aswelll. Fancy taking a drive up Scotland in my xc90 inscription polestar. I love long drives so happy to take you up. Just buy me coffees along the way 😁. If you do purchase it then you get to drive it down and fully test it. Win win.

Regards
Slapz
thats super nice offer, but would I then be disapointed with my dusty S90
vinniepaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniepaz For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 00:21   #13
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
The best examples available that meet my criteria are in scotland and im in the south east. so delivery is the only realistic way i could get them.
Like you, I do my research and find online the spec / mileage/ age/ price of 2 or 3 I like.
I then email the dealers and let them know I'm prepared to travel if the cost to change is right for me. You will also have a chance to negotiate around a 2nd year's warranty and/or a service plan.

I've just traded my Volvo for an approved Used Audi 3 hrs away and did everything including advance payment before I saw the car. The advice I can give you is to ask all the questions you want in follow up emails, get them to take videos or extra photos (e.g. Wheels and tyres tread which you can also negotiate with), get an email confirmation that if you turn up to collect and the condition is not what it seemed, you get your money back. I presume Volvo also permit an exchange (like Audi) if there's a significant issue within xx days.

The only real 'risk' from a *decent* franchised dealer is if you need to have something fixed at a busy local dealer, you may have to wait longer than if they'd just sold it to you?

Ps check your bank's daily bank transfer limit - you may need to pay in chunks a couple of days before!
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 09:31   #14
Mint Cake

Quote:
Thank you. Thats good to know. The best examples available that meet my criteria are in scotland and im in the south east. so delivery is the only realistic way i could get them.
You could take the train to Chilly Jock Land ! Cost wise, it can be ridiculously cheap with an Advance ticket and its a very pleasant way to travel long distance.
Mint Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 09:50   #15
v40tompointer

Travel to see it, its a must ,use it as a excuse for a night away.
I was after a xc60 or v90cc
Volvo Selekt dealer in Solihull, xc60 some of there cars at the time were in shocking condition, poor body paint repairs.Scuffs on leather trim etc.
Volvo Coventry had a v90cc been sprayed along the whole side of the car,with lacquer streaking not for me when spending £28k.
Volvo Hinckley had a xc60, very heavily condensated up inside, i guess down to a water leak.
Volvo leicester had a xc60 with a small hole in the seats, another smelt strong inside,
another was scuffed inside on the plastic trim, dash and doors All Selekt !!
I'd be horrified to have one of these turn up.
I bought a v90cc from leicester Tms , 1 owner, registered in Scotland !
I did want front/rear parking sensors,looked at the front bumper thought it had them but they are only blanking plugs (2018 model).
If you have the hud it will not have the heated front screen.
I've had the rear door lock issue not unlocking ,replaced under the warranty.
I wish i had the reverse camera and front sensors,or the 360 camera, a big help when parking these long cars.
I also like the pilot assist,great on the motorway (steers the car in the lane).
The active bending matrix type headlights are brilliant, not sure what model these are on.
Hope this helps.
v40tompointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 10:20   #16
vinniepaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
Like you, I do my research and find online the spec / mileage/ age/ price of 2 or 3 I like.
I then email the dealers and let them know I'm prepared to travel if the cost to change is right for me. You will also have a chance to negotiate around a 2nd year's warranty and/or a service plan.

I've just traded my Volvo for an approved Used Audi 3 hrs away and did everything including advance payment before I saw the car. The advice I can give you is to ask all the questions you want in follow up emails, get them to take videos or extra photos (e.g. Wheels and tyres tread which you can also negotiate with), get an email confirmation that if you turn up to collect and the condition is not what it seemed, you get your money back. I presume Volvo also permit an exchange (like Audi) if there's a significant issue within xx days.

The only real 'risk' from a *decent* franchised dealer is if you need to have something fixed at a busy local dealer, you may have to wait longer than if they'd just sold it to you?

Ps check your bank's daily bank transfer limit - you may need to pay in chunks a couple of days before!
Thanks for the practical advice I'll be referring to this message if I do have it delivered
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 10:27   #17
vinniepaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Cake View Post
You could take the train to Chilly Jock Land ! Cost wise, it can be ridiculously cheap with an Advance ticket and its a very pleasant way to travel long distance.
I had a look at train option and the journey was around 7 hours. I fancy the trip too as shamefully I have never been to CJL
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 10:33   #18
vinniepaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40tompointer View Post
Travel to see it, its a must ,use it as a excuse for a night away.
I was after a xc60 or v90cc
Volvo Selekt dealer in Solihull, xc60 some of there cars at the time were in shocking condition, poor body paint repairs.Scuffs on leather trim etc.
Volvo Coventry had a v90cc been sprayed along the whole side of the car,with lacquer streaking not for me when spending £28k.
Volvo Hinckley had a xc60, very heavily condensated up inside, i guess down to a water leak.
Volvo leicester had a xc60 with a small hole in the seats, another smelt strong inside,
another was scuffed inside on the plastic trim, dash and doors All Selekt !!
I'd be horrified to have one of these turn up.
I bought a v90cc from leicester Tms , 1 owner, registered in Scotland !
I did want front/rear parking sensors,looked at the front bumper thought it had them but they are only blanking plugs (2018 model).
If you have the hud it will not have the heated front screen.
I've had the rear door lock issue not unlocking ,replaced under the warranty.
I wish i had the reverse camera and front sensors,or the 360 camera, a big help when parking these long cars.
I also like the pilot assist,great on the motorway (steers the car in the lane).
The active bending matrix type headlights are brilliant, not sure what model these are on.
Hope this helps.
Thanks. Its good to hear of your experience. I have seen two S90 at seperate dealers that were fine. So its useful to hear this isnt always the case.
Im Looking for a 2020 model so should have the spec your after. Im flexible on the HUD too due to the cost of replacing the window
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 11:28   #19
V60 probably

I bought mine from Riverside and the pre-delivery checklist had all been ticked to show everything had been done. Unfortunately, it hadn't. The hybrid battery hadn't been charged (ticklist said it had), there was no locking wheelnut adapter (it had been left in the workshop when a tyre was changed), there were scratches that they'd agreed to sort out, but hadn't. There were other minor issues.

Trust no-one!

Prevously: 1992 440ti, 1997 S40 1.8, 2000 S80 2.4.
V60 probably is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V60 probably For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 17:54   #20
Mint Cake

Quote:
I had a look at train option and the journey was around 7 hours. I fancy the trip too as shamefully I have never been to CJL
Just half a day then - go for it !

You've said that you're fancying a S90 (very nice BTW), but I can't recall you saying which version.
If you're looking at an R Design, I'd give some very serious thought about , hunting out your passport and taking a train trip to CJL.
The seats in an R Design are quite hard and the ride is also quite hard - it's something that I like and I find my V90 very comfortable on any length of trip. However, Mrs Mint Cake is the polar opposite and after about an hour or so, she's mumbling and grumbling about the seats being to hard and feeling every bump.***

Just a thought.

*** I bought my car without taking a test drive as a) we were in lockdown at the time and test drives were a big no-no and b) I'd just had a knee op and wasn't allowed to drive.
I feel that if circumstances were different and I'd have taken a test drive, I'd have ended up with an Inscription Plus ! I came from a Jag XJL and the ride in the Volvo R Design is quite different.
Mint Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mint Cake For This Useful Post:

Tags
dealership, s90