Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 935947

Replies : 6616

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2022, 15:24   #1921
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204061845996
Fire up the MIG... scuttled Amazon ahoy...
" I have got the car stored in a dry barn, so it's been protected from the elements"

while the photos shows it sat outside, covered in leaves, especially so the open bonnet photo.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 15:38   #1922
Rocinante
Master Member

Confused about this one, perhaps someone can clear it up?

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1475561

"TAX and MOT exempt...
...lovely registration number would be valued at £5000 if the car was MOTD could be transferred or sold separately...
....£3750 for the car and no offers..."

Am I reading this correctly ?
£3750 for the the car, that comes with a number plate that is worth £5000.

It needs an MOT to transfer the plate though, but if it's MOT exempt, why would you need an MOT to transfer the number plate ?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 16:16   #1923
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post

"TAX and MOT exempt...
...lovely registration number would be valued at £5000 if the car was MOTD could be transferred or sold separately...

It needs an MOT to transfer the plate though, but if it's MOT exempt, why would you need an MOT to transfer the number plate ?
As far as i'm aware, the DVLA will only transfer registrations between cars showing as MoT'd so an MoT exempt vehicle (that the owner states by signing a declaration is roadworthy) wouldn't be eligible to transfer the registration number.
That's only a "best guess" based on my limited knowledge of registration transfers so may not be wholly accurate but is probably 99% there.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 15:08   #1924
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Clean 86 estate, £4.5k seems hopeful.
https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1485265
Intact tan plastics(!) but dog got the drivers seat.

Absolutely nailed the tailgate shot though - that's the angle every buyer wants to see.
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 16:41   #1925
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:

Absolutely nailed the tailgate shot though - that's the angle every buyer wants to see.
I love a trier!
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 13:11   #1926
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

I'd have thought £2,000 would be plenty to buy a motor car like that; come the winter it might be £1,500.

:-)
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 13:23   #1927
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post

"TAX and MOT exempt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
As far as i'm aware, the DVLA will only transfer registrations between cars showing as MoT'd so an MoT exempt vehicle (that the owner states by signing a declaration is roadworthy) wouldn't be eligible to transfer the registration number.
That's only a "best guess" based on my limited knowledge of registration transfers so may not be wholly accurate but is probably 99% there.
I don't know the answer to the registration number transfer question, but Dave's guess sounds plausible. I'm often dubious about claims that registration numbers are worth thousands, that may be the price some dealer is advertising a similar one for, but there is a big difference between advertised and achieved prices.

There is an implication in the ad that the motor car is still being driven on the road, if that is the case then the current owner is flaunting the MoT exemption; signing the declaration of roadworthiness does not absolve him/her of responsibility. That motor car does need a lot of work just to make it safe and driveable, but Amazons make good money so it is probably an okay price.

:-)
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 14:02   #1928
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'd have thought £2,000 would be plenty to buy a motor car like that; come the winter it might be £1,500.
I should bloody cocoa...

My recent obsessive tracking of the 240 market isn't just beer and holiday: I'll have to move the bicycle collection and other tat after my landlady snuffed it (26 years retired on the Costas, so not bad innings).

I've rented lutons on previous moves, but I'm in the mood for an estate - was when my current saloon popped up, and I bought it in full knowledge it would have to be supplemented when the time came...

So anxiously watching the RWD Volvo estate market with above sums, whilst awaiting 2 months notice from an extremely laid back agent, which will really start the ball rolling.

Low mileage original owner 245 unicorns only though... until I get desperate and start looking at 7/9s and plasterer's vans...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 14:11   #1929
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I should bloody cocoa...

My recent obsessive tracking of the 240 market isn't just beer and holiday: I'll have to move the bicycle collection and other tat after my landlady snuffed it (26 years retired on the Costas, so not bad innings).

I've rented lutons on previous moves, but I'm in the mood for an estate - was when my current saloon popped up, and I bought it in full knowledge it would have to be supplemented when the time came...

So anxiously watching the RWD Volvo estate market with above sums, whilst awaiting 2 months notice from an extremely laid back agent, which will really start the ball rolling.

Low mileage original owner 245 unicorns only though... until I get desperate and start looking at 7/9s and plasterer's vans...
A slightly tongue-in-cheek suggestion (with a bit of serious merit too) is to hire an electric Luton van to relocate your collection - if nowt else it would be one in the eye for Sadist Khan and his ULEZ!

Probably not much difference in cost although you'd have to be careful on range.

Someone on another forum i frequent was given an electric Pug Partner/Citroen Growfungus (Berlingo) van as a comany hack and the best range he got was 68 miles on a full charge, had to be recovered 3 days out of 3 with no productive work in between - they returned his previous diseasel van to him after!

The kicker is he works for a firm involved in the BEV "revolution" so charging etc wasn't a problem for him, it was just the vehicle!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 14:48   #1930
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A slightly tongue-in-cheek suggestion (with a bit of serious merit too) is to hire an electric Luton van to relocate your collection - if nowt else it would be one in the eye for Sadist Khan and his ULEZ!
Getting outside of the soon to be expanded ULEZ is also a consideration, at least until the saloon matures into a historic vehicle in 5 years time. Got a lot of time for ULEZ, bought my saloon in the first wave last year and I'm expecting more original owner examples to come onto the market for the first time ever over the coming year. Oh yeah, the air is cleaner as well.

Bike lanes are great too, where they were actually done well. But thank Red Ken for that, not Boris or Mr Khan: Years in the planning and half-arsed implementation, plus ça change.