Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2036336

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2020, 16:05   #1901
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I always associated Volvo (particularly the estates) with antique dealers and the saloons (especially the Amazon models) with insurance brokers - the antique dealers because when i was a young pup it seemed every antique dealer had one and the insurance broker because a "family friend" (i use the term very loosely!) was an insurance broker and had an Amazon and i believe a 264.

However, i think Volvo were being more subtle than a simple stereotype as their marketing demographic. I suspect they were aiming at what was referred to in the 70s as "the County set" - those who were generally speaking well off, upper middle class due to income with aspirations to rub shoulders with royalty but in reality only clashed polo bats with them.

As for Lavinia and her chums, they are probably well into their 80s now so you, like the rest of us, will still be out of luck!
You are right about the 'county set' Dave. I recall that 240 estate I bought new in the mid to late 80s (about '86 or '87 I should think). I'd been living in Germany at the time, but bought it back to sell it from a friend's house in Farnham (the capital of the County set) - it was a RHD UK spec car, a couple of years old and I was being posted to Cyprus. I'd placed an ad in the Farnham Herald - the 'phone rang off the hook and I sold the car for a bit more than the asking price (people were bidding against each other) on the evening the paper came out, such was the demand in Surrey.

Happy days :-)
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 16:50   #1902
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:

As for Lavinia and her chums, they are probably well into their 80s now so you, like the rest of us, will still be out of luck!
Assuming the brochure is a 1978 one, and the three cars it features tend to suggest that, Lavinia is probably in her mid-to-late60s now.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 16:52   #1903
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Assuming the brochure is a 1978 one, and the three cars it features tend to suggest that, Lavinia is probably in her mid-to-late60s now.
It is a 1980 brochure - so they might be a little less :-)
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 17:25   #1904
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I beg to differ for a few reasons. First, look at what the girls are wearing. A twin-set and trouser-suits. I remember my mum buying stuff like that in 1973-4 because it was the "latest must have in fashion" and she was always 3-4 years behind the times on fashion. That means they were probably at the height of their trend in the late 60s/early 70s.

Also enlarge the photo - they all look to be late 20s/early 30s minimum. That would tie in with another point, the trouser-suits and twin-set - most girls that i've known that would have been early 20s in the late 70s/early 80s wouldn't have been seen dead in those garments - "mum clothes" was one comment!

However, assuming they bought those assaults on the feminine shape in the early 70s and like my mum, would need surgical removal from them, that puts them about 10 years older than they were in the early 70s - based on the comment above about "mum clothes", that would make them late 20s or early 30s a decade before the photo was taken or at least a decade before the brochure was published. That means in 1980 they'd be late 30s/early 40s which would have been the general county set upper limits - the ones who had made it financially and could afford to buy a new Volvo.

Take that as a whole and add the 40 year time difference in and we're back to what i originally suggested.

If anyone can show me something to suggest Lavinia and co are younger, i'll gladly listen!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 18:18   #1905
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I beg to differ for a few reasons. First, look at what the girls are wearing. A twin-set and trouser-suits. I remember my mum buying stuff like that in 1973-4 because it was the "latest must have in fashion" and she was always 3-4 years behind the times on fashion. That means they were probably at the height of their trend in the late 60s/early 70s.

Also enlarge the photo - they all look to be late 20s/early 30s minimum. That would tie in with another point, the trouser-suits and twin-set - most girls that i've known that would have been early 20s in the late 70s/early 80s wouldn't have been seen dead in those garments - "mum clothes" was one comment!

However, assuming they bought those assaults on the feminine shape in the early 70s and like my mum, would need surgical removal from them, that puts them about 10 years older than they were in the early 70s - based on the comment above about "mum clothes", that would make them late 20s or early 30s a decade before the photo was taken or at least a decade before the brochure was published. That means in 1980 they'd be late 30s/early 40s which would have been the general county set upper limits - the ones who had made it financially and could afford to buy a new Volvo.

Take that as a whole and add the 40 year time difference in and we're back to what i originally suggested.

If anyone can show me something to suggest Lavinia and co are younger, i'll gladly listen!
Excellent discussion for a Volvo cars forum!

An aside, one of the few things I have learned about girls is: never try to guess one’s age. If a man guesses too high then that is instant death, if he gets it too low then the girl thinks he is just trying to get into her pants (which maybe true...), even if he guesses dead right he is wrong: all girls think they look younger than they really are. Ho hum, it is impossible to win, so don’t try.

:-)
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 19:02   #1906
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Excellent discussion for a Volvo cars forum!

An aside, one of the few things I have learned about girls is: never try to guess one’s age. If a man guesses too high then that is instant death, if he gets it too low then the girl thinks he is just trying to get into her pants (which maybe true...), even if he guesses dead right he is wrong: all girls think they look younger than they really are. Ho hum, it is impossible to win, so don’t try.

Eloquently put Alan and another factor in my considerations. I'm usually fairly close (but always drop it a little to flatter but not so low as to make her think what i'm thinking! ) but having said that, i don't offer my guess unless specifically asked. Then there is the usual banter that they'll hate me if i guess too high etc but usually that just makes them more eager for me to guess - by which time i've got their promise of no recriminations either way. That means i'm relatively safe as long as i'm within a reasonable shout either way.

That aside it's still a risky pastime!

I suppose if we really wanted to know we could start doing internet searches for the actors/actresses/models used in the Volvo brochures from 1980 and then identify Lavinia, Drucilla and Esmeralda for real.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2020, 20:22   #1907
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Actors, or models, is the point David. They wore what was provided.

Excellent discussion re Volvo 240s yes Royal Czar.

Actually a discussion with at times sexist tendencies init?

Comrade Stephen Edwin

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 07:10   #1908
Othen
Premier Member

Eeeek!

We have being watched by the Politically Correct Police!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 08:37   #1909
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Eeeek!

We have being watched by the Politically Correct Police!
Indeed and their powers of observation leave a lot to be desired!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 10:43   #1910
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Indeed and their powers of observation leave a lot to be desired!
Walls have ears... and pork pies, and sausages...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: