Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1965 Volvo Amazon (121)

Views : 41040

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2012, 12:45   #181
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Good stuff.

Have you got a list of stuff that still needs to be done on the old girl?

Windscreen aperture looks good from the pics too which is a bonus.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 16:41   #182
Jackman

The windscreen is like new, no rust around it, the rear is the same luckily.

Ive come back in after tacking both the rails in place, the passenger side has a smaller gap than the drivers so some playing around is required but its a good start.

As for a list of what needs doing still.

Bodywork
Front crossmember/rad bracket replaced.
Repair front of the wings and rad supports.
Repair rust on the inner wings.
Weld drivers and passenger firewall replacments.
Align and fit wings correctly.
Repair rust on 4 doors.
Repair rust on rear arches.
Repair boot floor and previous damage to passenger rear light area.
Repair other issues when stripped to bare metal.

Electrical.
Complete re-wire and renew.
Refurb dash and switches.
Wiring for a Vems ECU

Engine and drivetrain.
Find replacement gearbox/overdrive box
Check propshaft.
Check diff.
Engine replace/modifiy current. (Turbo)
Sort out the plumming to add a turbo and intercooler.

Suspension and steering.
Complete stripdown, powdercoat and rebuild replacing/upgrading whatever is required
Lowered and uprated shocks.

Interior
Clean up current interior and fix drivers seat.
New carpet.
Hidden radio and speakers.
Boot install for a Amp and sub. As well as carpet the boot.
Soundproof.

Still a long way to go but bodywork is progressing well.

Edit.
Has anyone got These headlight bowls? If so are they a direct replacment for the original metal ones? Typicaly my wings have been cut for the metal ones so the smaller plastic type dont fit.

Last edited by Jackman; Nov 15th, 2012 at 16:46.
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 16:56   #183
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

A good thorough doing over, you will know it's been done properly and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. One thing I stopped doing is setting schedules as it was taking the fun out of it but saying that mine needs to be back on the road end of May for when parents get here as we will be doing trips around Scotland in her.

Keep up the good work. I like reading about builds more than anything else, lost the drive to keep updating mine though with what I'm doing.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 17:04   #184
Derek UK
VOC Member

Considering how comprehensive this rebuild is and reading your ideas and aspirations for the final article, I'd have to suggest that you consider getting a pair of steel wings. Welded repairs should be no problem to you so a pair that someone else would rather not tackle shouldn't be too expensive. That would also solve your headlamp bowl problem at the same time as giving you a stronger and safer front end. Having said that I'm sure the FG wings are sellable.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 17:05   #185
Jackman

Yeah it will be, the car needs it. Its been sat since 94ish so i dont want to spend all the time rebuilding it to find something is wrong.

I kinda have a timescale but its dependant on money and time. So far ive not spent much on the car, think ive spent about 1k on the car in total, including the purchase cost. Alot of the steel ive had left over from other projects and i spent 30 on the thicker steel for crossmembers. If all goes well im looking at having it done for this time next year, or at least be near completion. I think the engine will take the most work overall as ill have to spend quite a few days sorting a map out.

I like doing a project update. If i ever get stuck i know i can go back through the pages to find pictures of how it looked before i stripped it.

As much as i want the steel wings/front pannel. I dont have it in the budget. These wings came with the car so i think its worth using for now. If i get the money before paint its getting steel ones. Nearly £1600 for a front end is alot if i use new. My front end wasnt salvagable unfortunatly.

Last edited by Jackman; Nov 15th, 2012 at 17:08.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 17:28   #186
940_Turbo

The CVI bowls are a direct replacement for the steel bowls.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 18:10   #187
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
As much as i want the steel wings/front pannel. I dont have it in the budget. These wings came with the car so i think its worth using for now. If i get the money before paint its getting steel ones. Nearly £1600 for a front end is alot if i use new. My front end wasnt salvagable unfortunatly.
As Derek says, well worth fitting steel. As for the cost, the chances are that decent second hand items could be found, for a fraction of the price of brand new, as long as you're not in a rush.

Also, whatever wings & front panel you do decide to fit should be used to set the alignment of the inner wing top repair sections - another reason for using steel ones. If the wing tops are set too high, then whilst the fit at the top won't be too bad, the lowest part at the rear of the wings won't tuck under the sill properly, and thus won't align correctly.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 20:32   #188
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

i have two genuine volvo steel bowls if any good i will try to rember what i paid for them .... and let u know

looking at the prices they charge for replacement plastic ones http://www.cvi-automotive.se/en/arti...p-bowl-swedish that you linked us to you can have them for £25 each if any good and they have the genine volvo bags and part numbers on them if any good to you and what ever the postage costs will send recoreded not much to send im sure

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Nov 15th, 2012 at 20:38.
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 16:24   #189
Jackman

Another day on it.

Took the front off again and got to work with the repairs.

Passenger side, quite a bit of rust

Inside the box seems to be ok.

Cut out the rust on both sides.

Small patch on the passenger side (Had tacked a repair in to check for size, removed to finish lower repairs)

Made new box section and checked for alignment with the new cross member.

Made a start on the drivers side but the rain made me call it a day, was already cold.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 21:01   #190
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Hi - you see those two holes at the front of your frame rails? They need a nut welded onto them. That will take the bolt for your sway-bar (not the British term, but I forget - anti-roll bar?).

Forgive if you knew this, but it looks like the one on the passenger side is gone at least.