Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2042968

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 20:25   #1811
Dippydog
Premier Member

You could always try splicing the ends together as they do/did on the rigging of a sailing ship.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 21:30   #1812
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
You could always try splicing the ends together as they do/did on the rigging of a sailing ship.
I've never bothered counting them but there are literally loads of small diameter pieces of elastic in the middle of a bungee cord!

Splicing them together like rope would probably be almost impossible unless you had micro-surgery facilities and the steadiest hands and best eyesight on the planet!

I certainly couldn't do it, i know that much and even when the paws and eyes were fully functional i doubt i would have even attempted it - mainly because i can't splice rope either but that's a different matter!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 05:53   #1813
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've never bothered counting them but there are literally loads of small diameter pieces of elastic in the middle of a bungee cord!

Splicing them together like rope would probably be almost impossible unless you had micro-surgery facilities and the steadiest hands and best eyesight on the planet!

I certainly couldn't do it, i know that much and even when the paws and eyes were fully functional i doubt i would have even attempted it - mainly because i can't splice rope either but that's a different matter!
Thanks DD and Dave,

I think Dave is right: there are hundreds of rubber filaments inside a bungee, I wouldn't be able to splice them together. I think the hog crimp idea should work, and will look neat and tidy.

If the 12mm cord and crimps idea works then I think that will be a final solution, it will have cost me about a fiver and fixed the droopy boot lid that must afflict all 244s with boot spoilers (as if there are lots of them out there). If (for some reason) I can't get it to work properly I can just go back to the current arrangement with no great loss.

Best wishes,

Alan

PS. It is pouring here, with rain forecast all day - I'm not much looking forward to Bob's first walk at 06:30 (but he is of course).

Last edited by Othen; Oct 3rd, 2020 at 06:13. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 11:19   #1814
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thanks DD and Dave,

I think Dave is right: there are hundreds of rubber filaments inside a bungee, I wouldn't be able to splice them together. I think the hog crimp idea should work, and will look neat and tidy.

If the 12mm cord and crimps idea works then I think that will be a final solution, it will have cost me about a fiver and fixed the droopy boot lid that must afflict all 244s with boot spoilers (as if there are lots of them out there). If (for some reason) I can't get it to work properly I can just go back to the current arrangement with no great loss.

Best wishes,

Alan

PS. It is pouring here, with rain forecast all day - I'm not much looking forward to Bob's first walk at 06:30 (but he is of course).
It's monsoon season here as well Alan so nothing outside will get done today for me!
Thankfully my hound resisted all attempts at multiple walkies daily, on the third day of trying her with a morning walk as well she looked at me as if to say "You can go if you want but don't expect me to come with you!".
Since then i haven't bothered and she seems perfectly happy with her afternoon/evening walk.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 11:33   #1815
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
It's monsoon season here as well Alan so nothing outside will get done today for me!
Thankfully my hound resisted all attempts at multiple walkies daily, on the third day of trying her with a morning walk as well she looked at me as if to say "You can go if you want but don't expect me to come with you!".
Since then i haven't bothered and she seems perfectly happy with her afternoon/evening walk.
Same weather here Dave, and forecast to stay that way all day. I had intended to put a new chain and sprockets on my Triumph today, I could do it in the garage but it is easier outside, so I'll leave it for the time being. The chain probably has another 1000 miles in it anyway so that will wait for a nicer day.

Bob loves his walks - even in a monsoon he would be keen to go walking or throw a ball in the garden (that is me throwing, Bob catching). I can hear him snoring in the kitchen at the mo though.

:-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 12:03   #1816
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm glad it all worked out in the end Alan! The 12mm bungee cord is a great idea but how do you plan on connecting the ends to make the loop? I'm sure there are various methods but the obvious one of tying them could end up looking scruffy.
... the replacement long D-shackles arrived with the postie this morn Dave. If the 12mm cord and hog staples arrive on Monday I'll get that job done.

Alan
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 14:05   #1817
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... the replacement long D-shackles arrived with the postie this morn Dave. If the 12mm cord and hog staples arrive on Monday I'll get that job done.

Alan
That all sounds like a good plan Alan, the fact the shorter D shackles work gives you more scope for final adjustment if you make the bungee a smidge short or long.

Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 15:03   #1818
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That all sounds like a good plan Alan, the fact the shorter D shackles work gives you more scope for final adjustment if you make the bungee a smidge short or long.
Exactly what I was thinking Dave; I should be able to get a combination of short and long to give a good result.

It is still pouring here - it looks like Bob and I will get soaked a third time later on :-)
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 16:48   #1819
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking Dave; I should be able to get a combination of short and long to give a good result.

It is still pouring here - it looks like Bob and I will get soaked a third time later on :-)
I reckon you will Alan, maybe a blessing in disguise them sending the wrong D shackles first time?

Dried up here but just let Sasha out onto the garden , she cam back in and stared at the cupboard where her Dentistix are kept. She knows she gets her stick after walkies or the garden if walkies is off the menu for whatever reason.
If she does it voluntarily like today, that means she doesn't want to go! Obviously knows it's likely to rain again soon!

Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 18:07   #1820
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I reckon you will Alan, maybe a blessing in disguise them sending the wrong D shackles first time?

Dried up here but just let Sasha out onto the garden , she cam back in and stared at the cupboard where her Dentistix are kept. She knows she gets her stick after walkies or the garden if walkies is off the menu for whatever reason.
If she does it voluntarily like today, that means she doesn't want to go! Obviously knows it's likely to rain again soon!
Sending the wrong D-shackles was a genuine mistake, and the company was first rate at correcting it. It isn’t worth sending the wrong ones back, so as you say it might be a boon to have two different lengths. I quite like the way this solution has come together - nowhere near standard (and neither is the boot spoiler) but this is not a renovation problem so that is fine by me.

Bob and I have been out and got wet three times, but that is it for the day. He is having a kip and the place smells of wet dog - lovely.

I have just left a note on Bob’s thread (Dublin Bob) about when he changed the prop shaft centre bearing. I noticed a few noises whilst out in the RB the other day, I haven’t had a look yet (because of the rain) but the centre bearing is the prime suspect. I’ve ordered a new one (only £17 complete and delivery) - so that will give me something to do.

Alan