Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2036490

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 19:16   #171
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
No idea if the weather perked up although it's stopped raining now, i flaked out and was woken just before 6 by my hound, desperate to use the lawn.

Just seen the forecast for tomorrow and it should be dry so at least she'll get her walk tomorrow!
Bob and I have just got back from his third walk of the day - it took 3 hours to load the maps for the Skoda!

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 20th, 2020 at 21:10.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 23:14   #172
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sounds like a very large update!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 05:46   #173
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Sounds like a very large update!
The VAG updates are always huge, I suppose that is why the dealers charge so much for them, it isn't highly skilled but it takes up someone's time.

I'm not convinced the DVD was absolutely correct this time round, the process ejected the disc (and took it back automatically) perhaps 10 times during the installation, but it got there in the end, the new map version is 8536 (which is correct, the old was 5238):

... everything looks the same of course, I'll drive somewhere where there is a new bit of road (the A6 where it meets the A14 East of Kettering perhaps) and see if it works when I get a mo.

I should have today free (apart from Bob's walks), so I'll try to get the instrument lights and rev counter done if the weather isn't too bad.

A question for you Dave: the headlamp washers are not connected on the Royal Barge, the rubber pipes are just coiled up inside the grille. I can't see any jets to plug them in to - where do they go? The picture in the Haynes manual suggests they somehow attach to the wipers, but I can't see how.

Alan
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 06:07   #174
Othen
Premier Member

Default Headlamps

Gosh, we are up to post #174 already, doesn't time fly when one is having fun (actually it does, and the Royal Barge is fun).

I'm becoming a bit concerned about my headlamps. I think we have established that they are the originals (from the 1980 MY handbook), but it does seem to me that they were only used for one year - and not on all 240s in that year. This very nice DL (also from 1980) that I saw on eBay certainly has something different:

... and consequently the type on my car seem very rare indeed. My thought is that if the headlamps became damaged somehow the car would not be usable. I wonder, should I (in the fullness of time) be looking at replacing the lights with something more common from a later car (the lights on the 1981 and later cars seem to be almost ubiquitous in comparison)?

Any ideas what might fit?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 21st, 2020 at 06:10.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 08:13   #175
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The VAG updates are always huge, I'll drive somewhere where there is a new bit of road (the A6 where it meets the A14 East of Kettering perhaps) and see if it works when I get a mo.

I should have today free (apart from Bob's walks), so I'll try to get the instrument lights and rev counter done if the weather isn't too bad.

A question for you Dave: the headlamp washers are not connected on the Royal Barge, the rubber pipes are just coiled up inside the grille. I can't see any jets to plug them in to - where do they go? The picture in the Haynes manual suggests they somehow attach to the wipers, but I can't see how.

Alan
Will be interesting to hear if the Skoda satnav works correctly now Alan! Good luck with the instrument lights and rev counter!

If memory serves, the 240 series used something similar to the 7xx cars for the washer jets on the wiper arms :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740...t/153834181973

You can see the jet clipped onto the wiper arm with the barb for the hose pointing towards the base of the arm. They're handed, one left and one right so the jet "leads" the wiper arm as it sweeps. It should be piggy-backed off the normal washer tubing so when you operate the windscreen wash/wipe, the headlights are cleaned too.
If the original pipework hasn't been completely ripped out, you should find a one-way T-valve fed from a T-piece in the screenwash hose. The inlet of the T-valve is the leg of the T, the outlets are the arms/hat.

I'd say your best bet is your local Volvo dealer, they should have access to GCP - Genuine Classic Parts but a lot of stuff has to come from Sweden.
It appears the jet is integral with the wiper arm and is about $46 in the USA

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/s...rimLevel=28243

Item #12 in the diagram and link to Volvopartswebstore page.

Another option is to mount a universal pair of jets in the bumper :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-Un...r/123927411567

Something i did find on GCP :

1213620 = P/No for sunroof seal

On a sort of related subject, if you plan on replacing the normal washer jets, consider upgrading them to S/V40 style jets, i'm fairly sure (but can check) they're a straight fit but give a wide fan/mist spray which gives vastly improved cleaning.

https://youtu.be/LIC5EiN45YI

The washer jets are towards the end of the vid but you'll see what i mean.

Quote:
Gosh, we are up to post #174 already, doesn't time fly when one is having fun (actually it does, and the Royal Barge is fun).

I'm becoming a bit concerned about my headlamps. I think we have established that they are the originals (from the 1980 MY handbook), but it does seem to me that they were only used for one year - and not on all 240s in that year. This very nice DL (also from 1980) that I saw on eBay certainly has something different:

... and consequently the type on my car seem very rare indeed. My thought is that if the headlamps became damaged somehow the car would not be usable. I wonder, should I (in the fullness of time) be looking at replacing the lights with something more common from a later car (the lights on the 1981 and later cars seem to be almost ubiquitous in comparison)?

Any ideas what might fit?

Alan
As previously mentioned, they're the same as a 260 of similar vintage Alan so they should fit easily. If not and you go for something later, try to have access to not only the headlamps but the grille, side/indicator clusters, back plates etc as it's one of those "suck it and see" jobs, no knowing until you come to do it unless you've done it before.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 09:56   #176
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Will be interesting to hear if the Skoda satnav works correctly now Alan! Good luck with the instrument lights and rev counter!

If memory serves, the 240 series used something similar to the 7xx cars for the washer jets on the wiper arms :

You can see the jet clipped onto the wiper arm with the barb for the hose pointing towards the base of the arm. They're handed, one left and one right so the jet "leads" the wiper arm as it sweeps. It should be piggy-backed off the normal washer tubing so when you operate the windscreen wash/wipe, the headlights are cleaned too.
If the original pipework hasn't been completely ripped out, you should find a one-way T-valve fed from a T-piece in the screenwash hose. The inlet of the T-valve is the leg of the T, the outlets are the arms/hat.

I'd say your best bet is your local Volvo dealer, they should have access to GCP - Genuine Classic Parts but a lot of stuff has to come from Sweden.
It appears the jet is integral with the wiper arm and is about $46 in the USA

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/s...rimLevel=28243

Item #12 in the diagram and link to Volvopartswebstore page.

Another option is to mount a universal pair of jets in the bumper :

Something i did find on GCP :

1213620 = P/No for sunroof seal

On a sort of related subject, if you plan on replacing the normal washer jets, consider upgrading them to S/V40 style jets, i'm fairly sure (but can check) they're a straight fit but give a wide fan/mist spray which gives vastly improved cleaning.

The washer jets are towards the end of the vid but you'll see what i mean.

As previously mentioned, they're the same as a 260 of similar vintage Alan so they should fit easily. If not and you go for something later, try to have access to not only the headlamps but the grille, side/indicator clusters, back plates etc as it's one of those "suck it and see" jobs, no knowing until you come to do it unless you've done it before.
Good morn Dave,

As always, many thanks, this information would take me days to find without this forum.

It looks like most of the washer system is present - the T junction and the rubber pipes, but the jets that clip onto the wiper arms are missing:

These are not so essential, so I think a longer term job will be to fit some universal jets on the bumper - or from a later Volvo.

I can't get the left hand wiper to park at the bottom (it parks at the top of the stroke), which works but looks strange. It has obviously been changed in the past and I'm wondering whether the motors are right and left handed - and that someone has fitted a right hand one to the passenger's side? That looks to be the case, if so I might just leave it as it is - one of those little quirks that make the Royal Barge in interesting 40 year old car.

I quite like the current headlamps, and they seem to be original, so I'll leave them as is at the moment. I thought there might have been an easy slot in replacement, but i did't want to get into changing the grille and so on unless I have to (the car will end up being Trigger's broom otherwise).

Best wishes,

Alan
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 10:09   #177
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
This very nice DL (also from 1980) that I saw on eBay certainly has something different:
I notice it also has the steel wheels with the flat chrome nave plates, AND the chrome "rimbellishers"!
They, and the alloy wheels as used on the Torslanda, are my all-time favourite wheels. All other kinds just look flashy and shoddy to me.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 10:21   #178
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

My wipers also park in an odd position Alan :

The wiper motors are handed (certainly on my 760) so it's the park switch that's out of adjustment almost certainly. If it's working, don't fix it!

What you could do as a semi-permanent fix is to puncture a hole in the end of the washer hose and then block the very end of the hose and cable tie it to the wiper arm. Done with a bit of care, it won't look out of place and the hole will act as a jet.

If you had a piece of 3mm O/D nylon tube (such as used in pneumatic systems on machines) with the end plug, you could drill a 1mm hole with the Dremel in one side of the nylon hose, plug the end and make some sort of clipe to hold the plug to the wiper arm.

Spray the arm assembly and clips etc satin black or Halfords Steel Wheel silver/grey as that is pretty close to what they are now and it would be almost entirely hidden. This wheel is Halfords Steel Wheel :

Lots of different ways of doing it, whichever works best for you so you can keep your headlights clean!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 10:25   #179
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
I notice it also has the steel wheels with the flat chrome nave plates, AND the chrome "rimbellishers"!
They, and the alloy wheels as used on the Torslanda, are my all-time favourite wheels. All other kinds just look flashy and shoddy to me.
Sounds very like they've "updated" the wheels to early 740 spec - have you got a link to the listing? I'm curious!

Other alloy wheels can look understated too, especially when treated to a non-standard colour and a "ghost" emblem in the centre cap...........

Old Feb 21st, 2020, 11:15   #180
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Clifford yes re wheels and I still owe you a centre cap and some nuts. I would add that on cars that have the plastic wheel trims such as like the 240SE , then Omega wheels pictured above on David's car are very good. Those are what Volvo should have fitted instead of plastic wheel trims.

I wonder if David is thinking of colouring the door mirrors to match the body....

Othen. If the wiper washer jets are the same as on later 240s, the parts are available. Well they were a little time ago.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: