Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2036154

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 12:35   #161
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The weather has taken a sudden turn for the worse here Dave, so I think I'll do a couple of easier jobs on the other cars and leave the Royal Barge's instruments for a nicer day (maybe tomorrow - but today's forecast was 'mostly sunny). The maps need updating in the Skoda, that sounds like a nice easy job for a wet afternoon :-)

Alan
Thanks for the weather warning Alan, reckon i'd best do walkies sooner rather than later today!
I'm guessing you had the BBC forecast?

I use my phone for sat-nav duties in the car and a BlueTooth FM transmitter so i can have music playing on the phone, soft-fade to sat-nag instruction, soft-fade back to music all playing through the car speakers. The good thing is, Google Maps updates regularly and is free so is always up to date or as near as possible. It does have some problem with house numbers though, it puts my home address about 100 yards further up the main part of the road i live in round the corner and about 50 yards behind my home.
Even telling it the particular spot i happen to be stood in when in the front garden is my home, it doesn't believe me!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 12:37   #162
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... I know Dave, I've been caught out with that a few other cars over the past 40 years or so. I suspected it might be live on the Royal Barge, and knew I should disconnect the battery, but ever the optimist: 'I'll just be careful - that filter looks like it will come off easy enough to me...'

I suspect many of us will have done the same sometime.

:-)

Alan
You can buy protective plastic/rubber caps for the B+ terminal post Alan, i'll try to find some for you.

Alternatively, some good old red tape on it should suffice!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 12:48   #163
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Thanks for the weather warning Alan, reckon i'd best do walkies sooner rather than later today!
I'm guessing you had the BBC forecast?

I use my phone for sat-nav duties in the car and a BlueTooth FM transmitter so i can have music playing on the phone, soft-fade to sat-nag instruction, soft-fade back to music all playing through the car speakers. The good thing is, Google Maps updates regularly and is free so is always up to date or as near as possible. It does have some problem with house numbers though, it puts my home address about 100 yards further up the main part of the road i live in round the corner and about 50 yards behind my home.
Even telling it the particular spot i happen to be stood in when in the front garden is my home, it doesn't believe me!
It looks like there will be a lull in this rain for the next hour, so I'll take Bob out for his second walk now.

The Porsche and Skoda both have built is SATNAV systems, both are excellent, but the limitation is that the maps get out of date. When Dan and I were driving to Essex last week we spent about 10 minutes doing 70 MPH across a farmer's field that looked just like the brand new A14 dual carriageway.

Some new maps for the Skoda arrived from an online trader I've used previously - at substantially less cost than the £200 Skoda dealers charge for the update. When Bob and I get back I'll load them, a pretty unskilled job, but it does take an hour or so and sometimes needs a little intervention (pressing 'continue' buttons and so on).

My plan is to do as you do with the Royal Barge. The aftermarket radio is a Sony, which has a nice app that can be downloaded onto one's cell phone to control all the menu functions as well as Google maps and playing music.

Eeek! The heavy rain has started again whilst I have been typing this, I'll give it another 10 minutes before Bob's walk to see if it eases off.

Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 12:53   #164
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Good point Loki re the sump plug. (By the way Volvo dealers can supply a genuine plug. Not a lot of dosh.)

Good point Othen re the strong flow of oil draining overwhelming the drain tray. I use one of these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOTOOL-O...EAAOSw0w9dpHgP The drain plug is caught on the grid and does not need to be retrieved from the oil. The grid is large and the oil just flows in to the container easily. What's not to like about it. Kushtie.

The copper washer/gasket is specified to be replaced every time. And I find that with a new washer/gasket and the specified torque, the plug does not leak oil. So far.

Re oil changes. Use a good filter. Volvo sell one.

And beware there might be an always live terminal on the back of the alternator close to the filter. Use a filter tool that will not touch it or a fabric strap type of tool or disconnect the battery or put a sheet of insulation between the alternator and filter while removing the filter ..... or ....

Hope this helps a little.
If you're left-handed the oil-filter presents less of a threat as only your thumb is near the terminal. However, the exhaust manifold is still a threat - scorch marks on the back of your knuckles/hand identify true red-block oil-changers!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 13:27   #165
Othen
Premier Member

We just got back from our walk in the sleety rain - half an hour was plenty for me today, but Bob is pleased to be walking again and would have carried on for miles.

I got a call from the tyre fitter while we were out saying my replacement for the Porsche has arrived, so I'll get that fitted this afternoon. They are 265/45R18 on that car; I found a nail in the sidewall of one of the rears last week (in an uncharitable moment I couldn't help thinking someone might have put it there deliberately, envy damage comes with flash cars every now and then). I plugged the hole and it held up really well (didn't lose any pressure in a week), and whilst plugs are fine for quad bikes they are not a long term solution for a 270 HP car. It will get me to the tyre fitters without having to take the wheel off, which saves a bit of effort.

It is too cold and miserable outside to start another job on the RB today.

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 13:31   #166
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
You are about 60 miles East of here Dave, so you should be getting the rain any time now.

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 13:52   #167
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It looks like there will be a lull in this rain for the next hour, so I'll take Bob out for his second walk now.

The Porsche and Skoda both have built is SATNAV systems, both are excellent, but the limitation is that the maps get out of date. When Dan and I were driving to Essex last week we spent about 10 minutes doing 70 MPH across a farmer's field that looked just like the brand new A14 dual carriageway.

Some new maps for the Skoda arrived from an online trader I've used previously - at substantially less cost than the £200 Skoda dealers charge for the update. When Bob and I get back I'll load them, a pretty unskilled job, but it does take an hour or so and sometimes needs a little intervention (pressing 'continue' buttons and so on).

My plan is to do as you do with the Royal Barge. The aftermarket radio is a Sony, which has a nice app that can be downloaded onto one's cell phone to control all the menu functions as well as Google maps and playing music.

Eeek! The heavy rain has started again whilst I have been typing this, I'll give it another 10 minutes before Bob's walk to see if it eases off.

I just went out to get my pooches water bottle from the car to fill it up and chill it in readiness for walkies - was spitting and i thought nothing of it.

Sat back down with my breakfast and looked out the window, the rain was coming down like a giant pressure washer!
Mine might not get her daily trot today!

First satnav i had was a Magellan one, bought new about 12 years ago and i remember driving across what i said was a farmers field on a new road between Caxton Gibbet/Eynesbury and Papworth village about a month after getting it!

So far i haven't had that or similar using Gaggle Mops on the phone, even on new bits of the A14 or anywhere else i've been.

I still have the original factory fit rad/cass head unit and 6-disc CD changer in my Rover and as i just happened to have a spare set-up and no music in my Volvo, i fitted my spare one in there - makes life easier when driving the other one as the head units are similar. Both have BlueTooth FM transmitters and it all works well for me that way - each to their own on that one though! I like the idea of an app to control the stereo on your Sony though, something i may think about if i ever need to replace either head unit!

Just seen your latest post Alan, i started typing about the time you posted it i think!

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 14:13   #168
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
You can buy protective plastic/rubber caps for the B+ terminal post Alan, i'll try to find some for you.
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co....ry/32Something on that page should fit the alternator B+ terminal and help to avoid anything touching what it shouldn't!

Alternatively :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Small...-/140938481468

From memory of the sizes needed, the second link should fit - please check the size of yours before purchase though!

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 14:29   #169
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I just went out to get my pooches water bottle from the car to fill it up and chill it in readiness for walkies - was spitting and i thought nothing of it.

Sat back down with my breakfast and looked out the window, the rain was coming down like a giant pressure washer!
Mine might not get her daily trot today!

First satnav i had was a Magellan one, bought new about 12 years ago and i remember driving across what i said was a farmers field on a new road between Caxton Gibbet/Eynesbury and Papworth village about a month after getting it!

So far i haven't had that or similar using Gaggle Mops on the phone, even on new bits of the A14 or anywhere else i've been.

I still have the original factory fit rad/cass head unit and 6-disc CD changer in my Rover and as i just happened to have a spare set-up and no music in my Volvo, i fitted my spare one in there - makes life easier when driving the other one as the head units are similar. Both have BlueTooth FM transmitters and it all works well for me that way - each to their own on that one though! I like the idea of an app to control the stereo on your Sony though, something i may think about if i ever need to replace either head unit!

Just seen your latest post Alan, i started typing about the time you posted it i think!
The tyre fitter was suddenly busy when I arrived, so I have an hour to kill in McDs - time to get the crossword done.

Google Maps seems to work really well. My son and I have been looking at new houses recently, and as often as not they are absent from both the cars’ SATNAV systems, but they have always been on Google Maps, so we have ended up with Dan navigating the last few miles on an iPad whilst the expensive car SATNAVs show us driving around a farmer’s field.

The Sony app is quite nice, instead of just pairing the cell phone (which it does as well) it prompts a download of the app, which then allows all the system functions of the head unit to be accessed remotely. It controls the audio sources as well. I’m sure all the manufacturers will soon catch up, but Sony is the first I’ve seen with a cell phone app.

The weather seems to be brightening up a bit (well, less dense clouds), so it may improve for you late afternoon - maybe your dog will get a walk after all.

Alan
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 18:32   #170
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

No idea if the weather perked up although it's stopped raining now, i flaked out and was woken just before 6 by my hound, desperate to use the lawn.

Just seen the forecast for tomorrow and it should be dry so at least she'll get her walk tomorrow!