Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Collected the car today

Views : 22790

Replies : 303

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2016, 18:39   #161
Alex121
Premier Member

Pretty unacceptable to be honest. All of this should have been checked before you even took delivery and they don't seem to be prioritising this quick enough.

Better off rejecting it and letting them know you're buying a brand new Audi Q7 instead - that'll get them thinking!
Alex121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 19:03   #162
tem
Premier Member

Every new Volvo car that leaves the factory is bar coded and every move is scanned.
Should this car have deviated from what would be the normal transit to the UK and then to the dealer, will be recorded.

With the limited information available at this moment in time, my money is on, it left the factory in its current state.

tem.
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 19:48   #163
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Having not heard anything for a third day, I phoned the dealer.

Volvo Sweden have looked at the photo evidence and want the paint depth to be checked. The Service Manager is going to see if their paint-shop guy can come to my house to do it, possibly on Tuesday. A bit of progress then.

The SM suggested that they're investigating whether some correction work was done to the car after it left the factory. I pointed out to him that since we know the transport and arrival dates that probably wasn't feasible. The car must have left the factory with the paintwork as it is.

I've noticed something else now as well. The driver's door (which appears a shade lighter) doesn't sit perfectly flush with the rear door. On the passenger side they are perfectly flush. It might be nothing but I'm wondering whether the door could have been damaged on the production line (after whole body painting) and at the end of the line the car was sent for remedial work which meant removing the door for a respray or a completely new door being fitted. This could explain the colour difference because of a different batch of paint and no colour matching taking place.

Having said all that, I also think the rear door is too dark compared to the rest of the car so who knows wtf is going on!
If you haven't got this already, i'd ask your dealer to accept there is a visible difference in colour on the drivers door. Once you have this, tell them to stuff their paint depth measurements, its really not something you should be wasting your time over, Volvo need to either fix or replace the vehicle, whichever is acceptable for both parties. You've just brought a circa 60k vehicle, you shouldn't be part of diagnosing what's gone wrong.

Volvo are trying to play with the big boys here, and really need to grow up.

:wq
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 21:20   #164
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Every new Volvo car that leaves the factory is bar coded and every move is scanned.
Should this car have deviated from what would be the normal transit to the UK and then to the dealer, will be recorded.
Yes, but I doubt that they will share that information with the customer.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2016, 22:19   #165
jimbg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
If you haven't got this already, i'd ask your dealer to accept there is a visible difference in colour on the drivers door. Once you have this, tell them to stuff their paint depth measurements, its really not something you should be wasting your time over, Volvo need to either fix or replace the vehicle, whichever is acceptable for both parties. You've just brought a circa 60k vehicle, you shouldn't be part of diagnosing what's gone wrong.

V

Absolutely, it is not your problem to find out why.

You need a response that says yes or no to your claim, only then can you decide how to proceed.
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 00:22   #166
BTXC90

Quote:

Volvo are trying to play with the big boys here, and really need to grow up.

+1

I just hope they find some quick resolution for this and you wont have to sit in the waiting line again!
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 08:33   #167
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
you shouldn't be part of diagnosing what's gone wrong.
Good point. I hadn't thought on it that way.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2016, 19:10   #168
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Good point. I hadn't thought on it that way.
What is the latest?
Are they coming to check the paint thickness tomorrow?

tem.
Old Aug 1st, 2016, 20:50   #169
Lexman8
Premier Member

I took the car to a paintshop today. They found some tells that suggested the driver's door might have been re-sprayed but they couldn't be certain. They said that some of what they saw wouldn't normally be there on paintwork done at a factory under 'clean-room' conditions. They couldn't be certain one way or the other though.

I didn't get confirmation about tomorrow but, in fairness, that was down to me not being able to contact them after I became unavailable for most of the day.

I'll update you tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 12:32   #170
Lexman8
Premier Member

The paint thickness has been checked and found to be significantly thicker on the driver's door than on the adjacent rear door. The data is being sent to Sweden today. The paint thickness on the o/s front wing couldn't be measured as it appears to be made of plastic and the measuring device doesn't work on it.

This suggests that the door has had remedial work done to it, possibly at the factory because of the high quality of the finish. I'm glad there's now some factual data to support my case.

I've re-stated my position to the dealer today: I expect a replacement car.