Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just bashed my Amazon Estate

Views : 37008

Replies : 234

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2013, 14:40   #151
Quarterless
Master Member

Not got round to doing the diff seal yet but it's on the list.
Got a run on issue when the key is removed. Any ideas how to solve it?
Quarterless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:59   #152
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

And it is running okay otherwise?
Old May 16th, 2013, 13:32   #153
Quarterless
Master Member

Yeah seems to be running fine and pulling really well. I have a lunenition Pro ignition system on it. Googling reports too much advance or carbon build ups on the pistons could be a cause. Any thoughts on this.
Old May 16th, 2013, 14:37   #154
Derek UK
VOC Member

Both reasons are valid. When new the high output spec engines used 100 octane. Now you have to mange on something a bit lower, even V-Power or similar isn't close but modern fuels do burn better as long as they are fresh. A couple of months in the tank and they start to lose some of the additives that maintain the octane. Some Tescos have a 100 octane pump so worth a try if your tank is empty. A degree or two back on the ignition should also help even if there isn't any obvious pinking..
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 22:23   #155
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Is there good springiness on your distributor shaft? Grap hold of the rotor arm, twist it and let go - it shoudl spring back into position. If it's gone floppy, it'll go to it's fully advanced position and will run funny when at idle and run on when you switch the engine off. Otherwise, as Derek says, knock it back a couple of degrees

Alternatively, if your spindles on your carbs (are you running twins SU's) are leaking in air, it can run on. You could experiment by switching the engine off with the throttle open a little
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 10:15   #156
Quarterless
Master Member

Cheers guys. Still need to check this although the run on has got a little less. Possibly due to adding some miles on the engine. Still only done 200 miles since getting it back up and running. Since then I have had a few close shaves with bolts coming undone. The upper wishbone mount, where I forgot to hammer down the lock tabs, decided to come undone and my car decided to change lanes on its own at 70 mph. Luckily no damage done and the shims didn't fall out! Also had the pinch bolt on my steering shaft drop out so have now replaced with a new bolt and nyloc.
Other than that the car seems to be going ok. Now the front is all poly bushed I can definately feel the looseness of the rear. When I get time I will have to recon the back end.
I'm not sure whether to recon my spare axle and fit that or just redo the one on the car though?
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 10:41   #157
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

If the axle in the car is quiet, i.e. little or no diff noise, probably best to use that unless you know the other one is at least as good. If it came from the one you cut up you probably don't know. However, if you kept the suspension arms etc from that one they can all be prepped and bushed for a quick refurb of this one.
Hope to see it at Battlesbridge this September?
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 22:23   #158
Amazonjulian
Master Member

Twenty years or so ago I was running a 123gt that always ran on. I even tried fitting an anti dieseling valve from a ford if I remember. In the end I fitted an export head gasket which the old chaps at Anca garage got in for me. Problem solved even if it did mean sacrificing compression ratio.
Amazonjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 12:01   #159
Quarterless
Master Member

Very annoyed as my new washer bottle has already broken down the sides of the bracket it slides onto. Has anyone else had this? Anyone know any fixes/options other than a plastic bag?
Thanks
James.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 17:42   #160
Derek UK
VOC Member

New? If a "used" one I'd say you were just unlucky. Agreed, the fit on the bracket isn't very precise and forcing it down will stress the old plastic. Holding it up against a light will probably show thin spots where it rubs on the bracket.
I'd say inspect a replacement carefully and don't have too many costs of paint on the bracket. Zinc plate is thin and a good idea but I've not seen one finished that way.