Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 163658

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 09:39   #151
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Crockers - Wash your mouth out.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 10:19   #152
Arianne
Premier Member

I don't think so......

I will take a look, having Turned the pages of AutoExpress and seen it there. The exterior isn't too bad but I have had a Ford Galaxy in the past and I can't get my head around the lacklustre dealer experience and the fact that, within just twelve months, my alloys were corroding despite my loving attention. I see from the motoring magazines that nothing has changed on that front. It's the build quality and customer service that immediately put me off.

I don't know what engine and suspension set up the Edge has because I haven't bothered checking, if the truth be told. But I will have a look later and get back to the forum.

I am up in Aberdeen today and Inverness tomorrow so will have a bit of time on my hands in the evening.

Have a nice day people. It's lovely and bright up here in NE Scotland today.

Arianne
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 10:40   #153
MikeIOW
Premier Member

& here I am on my way to London for the day ready to have a beer with you at Kings Cross St Pancras later
Grey in the Midlands......

& on the topic of Ford.....I've had XR2, XR3i, 2 x SMax & also we have an old family Fiesta the kids learned to drive in.
Loved my youthful warm hatches & the SMax is one helluva vehicle for carrying people & loads (not so keen on the seating comfort - much prefer the Alps run in Stormy!).....the '05 Fiesta is a great car for the kids to learn in, pretty basic......
....& I agree, you certainly feel you are in far greater luxury in the cabin of the XC60 versus the SMax.....
.....but the cost difference is massive, so you should!

Be interesting to see how the Edge shapes up: the gap between mass market and luxury is ever narrowing, & the quality too. Our SMax's covered around 100K miles and 5 years between them & haven't suffered any wheel issues, etc....
....& the dealer experience does depend where you go: Evans Halshaw in Leicester was decidedly average after the sale, yet Sandicliffe Loughborough is somewhere my wife loves waiting for her Smax annual service: free drinks, wifi, comfortable lounge....heck, last time they even offered her free breakfast (they have a little cafe thing in there!)!

Last edited by MikeIOW; Feb 22nd, 2016 at 10:43.
MikeIOW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 18:31   #154
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
& here I am on my way to London for the day ready to have a beer with you at Kings Cross St Pancras later
Grey in the Midlands......!
Wrong way Mike. I will be in the Pizza Express, Inverness tonight at 7:15pm with a colleague. If you can get back up from KingsX fast enough we just might catch you before dessert.

I am looking forward to the trip back down tomorrow as there's plenty of snow on the Scottish mountains and we've let the train take the strain for this one again. It's a lovely trip from Inverness to Edinburgh on single track line across Rannoch Moor etc.

The reason we do the train is that we are able to work on the train via wifi etc. In the car it's not possible and one of us is concentrating on the road so we can't have deeper business discussions.

I will check the Edge later. I have a story to tell about Evans Halshaw Ford in Edinburgh....... And it's not a good one!

Have a nice evening folks, I will...

Arianne
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 19:05   #155
K5 Gus

Are you taking the long scenic route via Fort William, Rannoch Moor to Glasgow, rather than just down by Aviemore, Pitlochry, Perth ??
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 19:10   #156
NigelDay
Premier Member

One problem with the Edge is they are only fitting a 2-litre engine in two states of tuning, 180PS (manual) and 210PS (automatic). CO2 emissions are not good, and acceleration is a little tardy (9.4 sec 0-60). Any current D4 FWD or D5 AWD will out-perform it.
I would suggest the Edge is more competition for the better Japanese and Korean offerings, not for Volvo and the Germans.
Apart from that, it looks an interesting car with plenty of features and, I expect, sensibly priced (yet to be published) options.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 21:28   #157
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
Are you taking the long scenic route via Fort William, Rannoch Moor to Glasgow, rather than just down by Aviemore, Pitlochry, Perth ??
The shorter route via Aviemore, it is business after all and I need to get back the Central Scottish Borders at a reasonable time...

Okay, taken a look at the Ford Edge, didn't take long. As Nigel says, the first issue is the 4cyl Diesel engine that won't give me the zing I am seeking. And that probably means that the chassis and suspension will be likewise..... and the gearbox etc. So that's that then.

As for Evans Halshaw Edinburgh, when the lad was thinking about his first proper car (having driven his Mum's hand me down Peugeot 206 1.1 8v LX from 1999 and built up a decent no claims bonus) he considered either a new Audi TT or the Ford Fiesta ST2. Even the lad was shocked at how low rent the Ford dealership was, the shallow approach to trying to sell him the car etc. Personally I was glad he went for the TT in the end, my spine would have needed surgery if he had bought the Ford. The magazines only mention the stiff ride slightly but it is not a car one would want to spend any serious amount of time in!

The combination of my Ford Galaxy dealer trying to tell me that the 115bhp TDi engine was a Ford TDCi unit when it is clearly VW sourced didn't fill me with confidence. Neither did the centre hubs of my alloys which were damaged because the dealer was using a screwdriver to lever them off rather than the dedicated tool. And finally, having checked with them about compatibility of a used set of steel rims which a fellow forum member was offering me, and they said they would fit as a straight swap out....... Yep, you've guessed it. Travelled all the way to Leeds, collected rims, refurbished them in my shed, ordered the winter tyres and just a week before leaving for the Austrian Tyrol, the dealer rang me up to say that the rims were too small to fit over the brake calipers. That the later Galaxy must have larger brake calipers. So that meant me ordering four brand new Ford rims from them just so we could go skiing.

Ford Edge? I don't think so.

Thanks for the suggestion though. The thread continues to be interesting. I see that BMW have just released their new X4 40M which is pitched against the Porsche Macan GTS. some interesting reviews but this petrol version won't be coming to the UK because the SUV market here is exclusively diesel.

Have a nice evening folks.

Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Feb 22nd, 2016 at 21:31.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 22:29   #158
janusz

@Arianne: out of curiosity - did you check disco sport? If so, what do you think about it?
Thank you

Ps: I enjoy reading this thread very much! Please do not close it even if you find your new car!
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 00:06   #159
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
@Arianne: out of curiosity - did you check disco sport? If so, what do you think about it?
Thank you

Ps: I enjoy reading this thread very much! Please do not close it even if you find your new car!
Thanks for your kind words. In truth, it's everyone's thread as is the forum. So, if folk want to keep chatting about this topic then it'll have legs, as they say. We don't actually change our car until March 2017, although being the sad planners that we are, we will aim to place an order in late Summer or early Autumn. By then I can assure you that many folk will have truly had enough of this thread and will have sent the official Volvo hit squad up to Scotland to liquidate me! I fear for the other Scottish based forum members who might get caught in the process.

Anyway, your point about the LR Disco Sport. Hmm, that was the subject of some discussion on pages 2 & 3 of this thread, if I remember correctly. The other forum members suggested that the engine was a bit weedy and possibly unreliable too. My review of the web tests indicate that the engine is not likely to be remembered with huge affection. Plus we don't like the back end, especially when folk go for the orange bodywork and black roof. That's a personal opinion though and clearly others like it. You can't argue with its off road capability though and that would be good for the farm tracks we have to traverse periodically in what is known locally as The Lost Quarter here in the Scottish Borders. But I need more than fabulous off road capability...... ask Geoff down at the local Suzuki dealership in Selkirk and he'll tell you that the good people of the rural Borders just can't get enough second hand Jimnys. There, nobody mentioned the Jimny so far! BTW, I like Geoff at Belmont in Selkirk......but I don't like any of the cars they sell, which is a shame. It's a shame for Geoff too!

And finally, only now can I bring myself to acknowledge that WBA are out of the FA Cup, having lost to the mighty Reading. Thank goodness we are all out the everlasting misery of watching The Baggies struggle against lower league opposition. At what level do they choose not to play negative, boring football? Non-league clubs? Last year, we actually won a game 1-0 without having had a single shot on target! Unbelievable but it really did happen. We nearly repeated it against Everton ten days ago. On that occasion the ball struck our strikers chest and went in, even the striker was shocked.

Okay, rant over. Goodnight.

Arianne
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 00:36   #160
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

2017 Polestar XC90 450 hp 700 Nm in Rebel Blue? You can fold the third row of seats down and pretend they aren't there.

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan