Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2041602

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 09:29   #151
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad to hear Bob is back to (nearly) 4-paw drive! You can see why he reminded me of Rusty!

I suspect when you investigate the instrument cluster, the reason for the currently dead tacho will present itself and if not, mysteriously fix itself.

While you have the cluster out, give the plugs that connect to it a clean with emery cloth and switch cleaner on the contacts, if they're similar to the later 7xx, the multiplugs will have bowed spring contacts and these get compressed over time so teasing them out with a terminal driver usually restores them to "full boing".

If they're like a cluster of bullet connectors it's not so easy, other than gently explanding the make bullets they're difficult to tease back into full contact.

That said, the tacho is very often just a single wire on a 1/4" female spade on the wire and a male terminal on the back of the tacho. Usually this is red/white from the -ve of the coil to the tacho but check the diagram in case the colour has changed at any point.

You may have to ferret about inside the dash for the tacho wire, i'm wondering if a previous attempt at changing the bulbs in the cluster resulted in someone pulling everything out without noting the connections and simply forgot to replace the tacho wire and it has fallen down somewhere.

Sure you'll figure it out anyway!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 11:16   #152
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Glad to hear Bob is back to (nearly) 4-paw drive! You can see why he reminded me of Rusty!

I suspect when you investigate the instrument cluster, the reason for the currently dead tacho will present itself and if not, mysteriously fix itself.

While you have the cluster out, give the plugs that connect to it a clean with emery cloth and switch cleaner on the contacts, if they're similar to the later 7xx, the multiplugs will have bowed spring contacts and these get compressed over time so teasing them out with a terminal driver usually restores them to "full boing".

If they're like a cluster of bullet connectors it's not so easy, other than gently explanding the make bullets they're difficult to tease back into full contact.

That said, the tacho is very often just a single wire on a 1/4" female spade on the wire and a male terminal on the back of the tacho. Usually this is red/white from the -ve of the coil to the tacho but check the diagram in case the colour has changed at any point.

You may have to ferret about inside the dash for the tacho wire, i'm wondering if a previous attempt at changing the bulbs in the cluster resulted in someone pulling everything out without noting the connections and simply forgot to replace the tacho wire and it has fallen down somewhere.

Sure you'll figure it out anyway!
A good day so far: Bob looks more or less back to normal, the Triumph passed the MoT test and my contact adhesive repair on the Royal Barge's sunroof seal seems to have worked well.

I suspect you are right about the tacho Dave, like a lot of things with this car, it may well be a case of taking it apart and reassembling it carefully - then inexplicably it may just work. My Haynes manual arrived yesterday - removing the instruments looks to be trivial, so that may be this afternoon's job.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 11:50   #153
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Gloriana'a sump plug

Good point Loki re the sump plug. (By the way Volvo dealers can supply a genuine plug. Not a lot of dosh.)

Good point Othen re the strong flow of oil draining overwhelming the drain tray. I use one of these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOTOOL-O...EAAOSw0w9dpHgP The drain plug is caught on the grid and does not need to be retrieved from the oil. The grid is large and the oil just flows in to the container easily. What's not to like about it. Kushtie.

The copper washer/gasket is specified to be replaced every time. And I find that with a new washer/gasket and the specified torque, the plug does not leak oil. So far.

Re oil changes. Use a good filter. Volvo sell one.

And beware there might be an always live terminal on the back of the alternator close to the filter. Use a filter tool that will not touch it or a fabric strap type of tool or disconnect the battery or put a sheet of insulation between the alternator and filter while removing the filter ..... or ....

Hope this helps a little.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 11:54   #154
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Good point Loki re the sump plug. (By the way Volvo dealers can supply a genuine plug. Not a lot of dosh.)

Good point Othen re the strong flow of oil draining overwhelming the drain tray. I use one of these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOTOOL-O...EAAOSw0w9dpHgP The drain plug is caught on the grid and does not need to be retrieved from the oil. The grid is large and the oil just flows in to the container easily. What's not to like about it. Kushtie.

The copper washer/gasket is specified to be replaced every time. And I find that with a new washer/gasket and the specified torque, the plug does not leak oil. So far.

Re oil changes. Use a good filter. Volvo sell one.

And beware there might be an always live terminal on the back of the alternator close to the filter. Use a filter tool that will not touch it or a fabric strap type of tool or disconnect the battery or put a sheet of insulation between the alternator and filter while removing the filter ..... or ....

Hope this helps a little.
I suspect most Volvo owners have fallen foul of the always live terminal at the back of the alternator ... :-)

Alan
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 12:16   #155
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Fingers crossed for other improvements to follow Alan! Looking forward to your report later!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 12:17   #156
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I suspect most Volvo owners have fallen foul of the always live terminal at the back of the alternator ... :-)

Alan

Unless they have read the Volvo 200 Serries Articles threads. All sorts of info in there.

Good luck with your car.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 12:24   #157
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Unless they have read the Volvo 200 Serries Articles threads. All sorts of info in there.

Good luck with your car.

:-)

I take your point, but I suspect most owners are like me and just have a go rather than read about how to first.

Many thanks - the Royal Barge has been fun.

Alan
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 12:27   #158
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

Alan
The exposed B+ terminal is common to many alternators Alan, not just Bosch and not just Volvos either!

You tend to learn quickly to check for it! not sure which Porsche you have but that will almost certainly be similar!

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 12:28   #159
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Fingers crossed for other improvements to follow Alan! Looking forward to your report later!
The weather has taken a sudden turn for the worse here Dave, so I think I'll do a couple of easier jobs on the other cars and leave the Royal Barge's instruments for a nicer day (maybe tomorrow - but today's forecast was 'mostly sunny). The maps need updating in the Skoda, that sounds like a nice easy job for a wet afternoon :-)

Alan
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 12:34   #160
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The exposed B+ terminal is common to many alternators Alan, not just Bosch and not just Volvos either!

You tend to learn quickly to check for it! not sure which Porsche you have but that will almost certainly be similar!
... I know Dave, I've been caught out with that a few other cars over the past 40 years or so. I suspected it might be live on the Royal Barge, and knew I should disconnect the battery, but ever the optimist: 'I'll just be careful - that filter looks like it will come off easy enough to me...'

I suspect many of us will have done the same sometime.

:-)

Alan