Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I said i'll be back!

Views : 24941

Replies : 250

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2017, 10:49   #151
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I forgot to add in the above that 4 of the fuel leaks were from the copper washers on the fuel filter. In fact, thinking about it, it's more likely that it was the banjos leaking as the copper washers were new and so was the filter and it still leaked.
Next time i'll used Dowty washers instead of copper like Saab do on the same filter.
Of the remaining leaks, only one wasn't a rubber hose. It was the nylon link pipe between the filter and pump - this part is still available from Volvo for £49 but i cut the nylon out and fitted a loop of 6mm bore rubber petrol hose instead.

As for the air intake trunking, i've tried gluing it for now. It seems ok at the moment but i don't hold a lot of hope for a permanent repair.

What i'm looking at instead is this kind of thing :

http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/sil...one-hoses.html

It will need two at the throttle body end, one with the stub for the breather and the other for idle valve, then a length of plain tubing (perhaps recycle the main length of intake trunking) then whatever connectors to connect it to the MAF sensor.
The one problem is these T-pieces are only available with a 1"/25mm bore spout, the breather uses 16mm bore hose and the idle valve uses 19mm bore.

I'll keep looking for a solution, there has to be one somewhere! I did find the part in the USA but it was $189!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 22:23   #152
AndysR
VOC Member

You could always send the standard pipe to someone like Samco and get them to fabricate one to the replace it? This would of course depend on you being able to be without the use of the car for a while whilst they made one up..
Old May 2nd, 2017, 23:22   #153
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Actually that's given me an alternative idea Andy - thanks!

For now the glue effort seems to be holding up thankfully and the water injection i've added has given some results so far - nothing tangible but more in the feel, more torque, smoother, quieter pull etc with the added benefit of an internal steam clean for the engine!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 3rd, 2017, 20:25   #154
AndysR
VOC Member

Indeed and possibly cost effective too

So how did you install the water injection? Did you add a tank to the boot with a pump or is it a mappable system?

Re. A/C from the other post I was considering the option of reinstating mine too, from what I can gather it's a one valve system and Volvo used to produce a conversion kit to make it R134a compliant. To do this my understanding is it's a case of renewing the valve to a correct R134a valve, which for a 760 like ours shouldn't be an issue as the 960 was R134a compliant and I think it's just a case of obtaining the short pipe with valve that goes from the receiver drier to the bulkhead. Should be obtainable easily from a scrap car, or that's my theory, and then simply get the system regassed with R134a gas and some pag oil. That's the route I'm looking to take anyway, I know Patrik with the 780 has his system converted and that didn't involve any major component renewal

So did removal of the viscous really make the car more spritely? I'm guessing the auxiliary electric fan that's fitted as standard is probably sufficient to keep the engine cool without the viscous? Does the electric fan kick in before the temperature gauge on the shows any change in the water temperature, i.e. Does it stay central at all times?
Old May 3rd, 2017, 21:19   #155
Joe of Loath
Can I angle grind this?

I thought today that I could just dangle a vacuum line into a water bottle...
Joe of Loath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 21:57   #156
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

My water injection is a very simple system Andy along the lines of what Joe suggests.
I'm a little annoyed actually, the water isn't doing much at the moment because the glue i tried on the stub isn't actually holding.

What makes it feel as if there is a bit more of a kick is when the vacuum helps pull the stub back onto the pipe!

It's got to the point now where i really need to find a replacement air intake pipe before i can progress the water injection idea and before it gets to the point of not being able to drive it!

As for the A/C, the guy i'm planning on using can supply the R134a conversion valves and PAG oil for about £60 (i forget the exact figures, they're in an email), seems to know what he's on about which is useful and is mobile as well. He does charge mileage though but i suspect like many people that "work mobile", if cash is used to pay for the job then certain "discounts may apply".

http://fenair.co.uk/

That's his website, have a look and see what you think. He's maybe not as cheap as the likes of Kwik-Fit etc but i think it's worth paying a bit more for his knowledge and experience - he's certainly been able to answer a few questions the likes of those couldn't.

Once i've got a bit of success with the water injection, i'll put more information up on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2017, 20:51   #157
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Update on "Pong-Gate" - i'm still getting an occasional whiff of four-star as it was known in old money or 98 octane Super Unleaded/Shell Nitro V-Power/BP Ultimate as it's now described.

There are two hoses that i can't get to the end of which is where i'm fairly sure the whiff is coming from. I can get to the ends of them if i drop the back axle - or the fuel tank!

As there was a brand new, never fitted, bought in error (due to a fuel leak somewhere else) fuel tank on ebay i decided if i had to drop the tank, just for the peace of mind it would give, i'd fit the new tank.

Waiting for the new tank to land which will be next week sometime so when it does, i'll drop the old tank, transfer the cushion pads, renew the two hoses and clamps that i can't see from above but only feel, fit the new tank and cross my fingers once more!

In other news, i finally managed to source the "Holy Grail" of B280E owners, a new front pipe assembly! Having amputated the flange from the front of the front box to fit the service joints to get round the flange blow previously, i'll probably need another front box but i'm going to try welding the flange back on for now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2017, 21:15   #158
AndysR
VOC Member

How in the world did you find that front pipe! Lol
Old May 10th, 2017, 22:30   #159
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

There were two listed on fleabay - i sent a message asking if they were definitely in stock, ready for dispatch and first i got the answer back "Send us your reg and we'll check it's right for your car" to which i replied i'd already checked the part numbers etc and as long as it was correctly listed, if it was in stock i'd buy it.
So they confirmed it was ready for dispatch, i paid up and looked big and it landed today! Only ordered it yesterday so can't complain at the delivery!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3224201311...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

While my messages were going back and forth, someone bought the other one, hence getting in quickly!
They have listed them before so maybe they will again - be careful though if you try to buy one, get them to confirm it's in stock or they'll try and wind the price up once you send the reg number through!

Old May 10th, 2017, 23:07   #160
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Oh yeah, nearly forgot! I've found a potential fix for the air intake trunking. Currently it's held together with duct tape, but in an effort to get something a bit more "engineered", i bought these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2223011450...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3217407525...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Got them in 1/2" BSP thread size, which is about 20-21mm so should fit the hole in the trunking nicely. A bit of Threadlock or some sort of glue on the nut inside the trunking should make life secure and sealed and return normal service without it looking like some lunatic has gone berserk with the duct tape!