Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Buying advice - any tips?

Views : 14109

Replies : 190

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2021, 16:22   #141
Damianero74

I have the remapped 2.0D (170bhp/400Nm) coupled with a manual and have driven a couple of D5 C70s (both manual & auto) as well.
Concerning the performance - they all pulled alike.
When it comes to the refinement - I may have a totally different opinion but the D5 was really loud during the acceleration, especially the one with auto transmission. The other thing that bothered were the vibrations at idle - I could feel them on the steering wheel. That's supposedly the "charm" of an uneven number of cylinders.
For comparison, I cannot even notice whether my 2.0D is running by touching the steering wheel.
When it comes to the reliability - I've had mine 2.0D for 2,5 years, bought it cheap and haven't had any issues with it, even after the remap (I've done it about 2 years ago).

I've also driven the 2.4i 170 manual - it is a great engine, it produces a pleasant noise during acceleration but it lacks torque - even compared to the stock 2.0D.

That's my contribution to this topic. All engines are great, so don't limit your potential choices
Damianero74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 19:11   #142
TimS996

Thanks for all the advice so far. I took the plunge and made a deal on this today and just finished driving it home 140 miles.
I’d like to say no problems but the passenger door part opened itself on a country lane which could have been interesting at speed! It was lubricated at service 3 years ago so I have no idea why this would happen now.

However the car is tidy, the interior good and so far all the electrics and gadgets work. The engine has been properly serviced with a cambelt and water pump recently as well as new front shocks, mountings, CV boots all round. In fact over the last 2-3 years it’s had all the advisories done.
It has both the windbreak, spare tyre, rain cover and toolset, as well as all books, service history and both keys so although the paintwork is in need of TLc it’s genuine for its age.

Pulled well in the way back and no problems with the handling or engine.

Only problems for me to look at immediately are -
-Condensation in both headlamps, one has a slight crack to its surface, so I wonder if I can take them out and dry them. However they work well and are not clouded.
-Aircon not working. I have a guy to help me with this and had some money off because of this. I’m budgeting for more than a regas and the price was adjusted for this.
-Service interval warning is coming up. how do I reset this myself?
-Warning that ‘Oncall’ is deactivated. I presume this needs a SIM card to power so have ordered anPAYG one to put in.
-Nav works well but needs updating. Any idea which year I have from the numbers below?
I have no idea how to work the phone, I’m guessing it works from the SIM card only?

Going to spend the next two days going over it and it does need a gearbox oil change which I’ll do next month with the service.
If anyone wants a set of black wheels, let me know! I’ll swap for a standard set, or better still 17”!
TimS996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 19:19   #143
TimS996

As follows..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-08-17 17.45.50a.jpg (284.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-08-17 17.46.39a.jpg (289.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-08-17 17.46.50a.jpg (275.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-08-17 17.58.05a.jpg (357.0 KB, 31 views)
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 20:25   #144
eagle58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS996 View Post
As follows..
Well done mate!

I think you got a really good deal on a very nice car.

A few niggles to sort out is part of the fun!
eagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 20:29   #145
TimS996

Got to have something to do over the next few months.
Already cleared the service code and will white lube the door locks tomorrow.
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 20:38   #146
Simmy
Premier Member

good to see you have found a c70 that fits your requirements it looks great. the door locks need lube every couple of months . have a run out to one of the local volvo meets. we have a couple of drive outs organised soon to some air museums pm me for details.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 20:54   #147
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Good news, well done Tim

I have successfully fixed a cracked and leaking headlight using a YouTube as guide, filling it with water to find the leak and using headlamp tape and Loctite clear. Good as gold since.

Resetting service is on the net too, 30 seconds to sort.

It should be that the latch just needs re-lubing. I used a spray light grease and it's been fine for me in the last month since I did it.

The rest, dunno!
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 21:13   #148
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Well done. Enjoy!!
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 21:18   #149
TimS996

Thanks, if you find the video a link would be great! Was it a Volvo lamp or generic repair?
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 21:25   #150
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS996 View Post
Thanks, if you find the video a link would be great! Was it a Volvo lamp or generic repair?
I'll have a truffle around and see if I can find it. Volvo unit, and very expensive from Breakers when I looked, which encouraged me to repair!
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote