Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A puzzle for the EGR valve expert/masochists out there...

Views : 19885

Replies : 170

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2015, 16:30   #141
SkintKnuckles

Hi Chris,

at this stage, I'll try anything. If I thought it would sort this problem, I'd stand astride a goat in the middle of a pentangle at the summer solstice, lol. It may yet come to that.....

So, I'll give this a bash tonight. At least it is easy, so there is literally nothing to lose.

cheers
Neil
SkintKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 12:03   #142
55D5AWD

Question EGR change software uodate ?

Hi All,

I would like to know if a software update is required after changing the EGR valve position electronic unit. Mine is giving code 47B0 and occasionally 6720 so thinking of replacing.
valve assy part no is 30743863

55 reg 185 D5 V70 AWD.

thanks

Dave
55D5AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 12:37   #143
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

it will need re calibrating with Vida.
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2015, 16:49   #144
SkintKnuckles

Smile Eureka!!!

Hi all,

just thought I'd follow up on my own debacle. Was off grid for a good while with job applications, fixing the EGR, then prepping the car for the MOT etc....

Anyway, in the end, it was nigh on impossible to get anyone who was prepared to do a software remap to delete the EGR, as a physical blocking of the EGR was also needed in my case (as the duff EGR valve actuator was seizing in the open position). Further, advice from Shark was that their remap for the 185 bhp D5 had the side effect of having the engine run on after the ignition was switched off. I wasn't comfortable with this, as I wasn't sure if it was just a delayed power down, or a blip of the throttle prior to power down (with the latter likely being no good for the turbo). Thus, I didn't feel confident about the remap (although Outnumbered has excellent experience of Shark maps), and I didn't like the apparent unwillingness of so-called tuning companies to do any form of fabrication or basically getting their hands dirty, yet insisting I take a stage 1 tune I didn't really want.

Thus, I bit the bullet and bought a new EGR valve. I ended getting a brand new genuine Volvo EGR valve for some £120 less than FRF Swansea's 'best price'. Thus, a big thumbs up to Parks volvo at Ayr who got me what I needed in < 24 hours. This is the first dealership that I've had interactions with who were helpful, gave meaningful discounts and also, wait for it, actual part numbers and written quotes. So, there is at least one good dealership out there that I've had direct experience of (my first ever for a Volvo dealer),

Fitted the new EGR - problem solved immediately. Basically, all the problems were down to a seized actuator that intermittently freed up. All the EGR position sensor codes were a red herring, as the sensor provides the electrics/connectors to the EGR valve. Thus, any EGR valve errors shows up as a EGR position sensor DTC code. This knowledge cost me dear to learn and I do hope that this thread helps others avoid the same issues. Still, I've now got a spare EGr position sensor.

Having fixed the car, I could then prep it for the MOT, which is another story, and quite a few bits of work I had to do. The great news is that the car flew its MOT, with the tester saying that my 125 K miles, old girl performing better than 95% of cars he tests. Its giving 52 mpg on the open road and is sweet as a nut after all the work done to it.

Thus, all is well except for a mild blow from the EGR cooler, as the 'new' OEM Volvo gasket between the EGR cooler and hot pipe is a far poorer fit than the old one I removed, and cannot be made to seal properly. Sigh...... I'm gonna buy a new one and angle grind it to match the profile of the original which lacked the ears of the new style gasket, with the ears compromising the gasket seal. The only plus in all of this is that I can now do an EGR extraction, rebuild and refit in 2.5 hours, so fixing the gasket isn't too big an issue, just a shame that an OEM part is so bad from new. Wonder why Volvo changed it and added ears........

Anyway, I want to thank all of you guys for your help, advice, encouragment etc. I certainly wouldn't have got this nailed, nor learned as much, without all of this sterling advice. Bravo!!!

cheers
Neil
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SkintKnuckles For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2015, 20:02   #145
moorgate

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkintKnuckles View Post
Hi all,

The only plus in all of this is that I can now do an EGR extraction, rebuild and refit in 2.5 hours, so fixing the gasket isn't too big an issue, just a shame that an OEM part is so bad from new. Wonder why Volvo changed it and added ears........
cheers
Neil
sooo.... fancy a day out in London???
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moorgate For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2015, 20:12   #146
Jetmech

Well done for persevering and getting it sorted and for keeping it standard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetmech For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 08:08   #147
SkintKnuckles

Hi Moorgate,

ha ha! Perhaps the only way I'll ever recoup those lost hours of my life will be to offer a mobile EGR cleanup service. However, continued exposure to the soot etc would probably shorten my lifespan somewhat as these bits of kit are just filthy. A miracle that they work at all!

cheers
Neil
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 08:09   #148
SkintKnuckles

Hi Jetmech,

thanks! The one thing that I had of late is time, rather than money, so perserverance was a necessity. I did think that this one had me beat, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger etc

cheers
Neil
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 09:22   #149
Symes
Master Member

Well done in getting this sorted! The thread is a great example of perseverence and determination, very pleased you're back on the road reliably, and good luck with the applications... :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Symes For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 20:31   #150
SkintKnuckles

Hi Symes,

thanks! Yup, its good to have the car (and me) back in a good mood again. I'd actually gotten so used to the limp mode that it took days before I could get used to the car running in full power all the time.

One of the jobs I'm applying for is in Prague. If this came to pass, then I'd likely have to flog the V70, despite investing in it heavily with a view to keeping it long term. I'm fairly sure that this money will not increase its market value by as much as it improved my confidence in its longevity. Damn and blast

cheers
Neil
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkintKnuckles For This Useful Post: