Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1965 Volvo Amazon (121)

Views : 41189

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2012, 15:47   #131
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Good work, looks good. I'd weld up those seams though, especially the front one as that's somewhere moisture gets in and rusts and I think technically you are suppose to fully weld in repair sections for MOT not that the MOT man would know though once all prepped and painted.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 17:24   #132
222s
Amazoniste

Great stuff! I always look forward to reading your updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
Spent the last few days researching overdrive gearboxes and im starting to think that its getting very hard to find overdrive boxes now with all the components for the swap, well at least hard to find keeping the costs down.
If you have space, it may be worth looking out for a spares car that has o/d, that way it will supply a full conversion kit, and other parts can be sold off to recoup the cost.

Btw, worth noting that the steering column plastic cowls are the same moulding for o/d & non-o/d. Just needs a panel to be punched through - the mounts for the o/d column stalk are already there on the inner part of the moulding.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 17:25   #133
tsetse1986

Just looked at this thread for the first time. I thought Volvos weren't supposed to rust like that?? Amazing work, my hat is well and truly off to you.

Keep up the good work!,
Tim
tsetse1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 18:49   #134
Jackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
Good work, looks good. I'd weld up those seams though, especially the front one as that's somewhere moisture gets in and rusts and I think technically you are suppose to fully weld in repair sections for MOT not that the MOT man would know though once all prepped and painted.
Dont worry it will all be seamed up as you said its MOT fail, wont seam weld it until ive repaired the door post. Kinda reminds me ive still not finished the passenger front.

Unfortunatly i dont have the space for a spares car, as much as id like to get one, plus if possible i dont want to take another car off the road just to get one back.

And to do amazons rust like that, the answer is no. If the amazon is bodged in repairs expect it to rust. Alot of the problems would not have been there if it wasnt repaired with fibreglass and blocking drain holes.
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2012, 15:03   #135
Jackman

*slight rant post*
Modernish cars, who'd have them?

Simple job, find out whats wrong the the handbrake, find near enough no pads left at the rear yet it passed the MoT with no advisories, also been having occasional issues with the fronts sticking on so decide to replace all discs and pads.

4 days later its done, hex head screws to hold the discs in place, rusted in. Have to order new ones as the new discs dont come with replacment, carefully dril out said screws, then clean out the threads and fit.... i had the same argument with all 4 corners but its finally done and stops a hell of a lot better.

Well there goes the 4 sunny days i had for working on the amazon All for a job that ive done many times on my other cars in about 3 hours. They dont build them like they used to.
Old May 24th, 2012, 15:21   #136
Jackman

As i didnt have much time to do work today and due to the weather (jumper + hot weather isnt nice) i decided to strip down the old heater and check its condition.

To my amazment, the matrix doesnt leak, the fan works and is very quite and the thermostatic valve also works.

They are remarkably simple to strip down to get reconditioned and it took me about 20 mins to do. Well worth it if yours doesnt look its best.

Ill take pictures of it when my camera is charged.
Old May 28th, 2012, 23:32   #137
asneddon
Master Member

A word of advice. DONT paint the heater matrix! I did about a year ago (with high temp engine black) thinking it would protect it or something. I can still smell it when I use the heater.
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asneddon For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 13:19   #138
Jackman

Well ill bring this back from the depths, ive really not had much time to sort it out, be it with a split from my partner and a few other things its just sat there. Ive got a plan of action together now, i need to get my other car back on the road and then if/when my other other car sells ive got some money to put into the volvo.

The plan is to finish off the front half of the car and get all the front end done before christmas. Once that is done the engine and box will be removed so i can clean up the engine bay before looking at either a T5 replacment or possible a b20 engine with custom turbo injection. As much as id like to keep the original engine and tune it a bit the cost of a overdrive box and other things hold me back from that as i believe that i could do a conversion cheaper than a overdrive box and have more power reliably (The t5 will be stock apart from the ecu converted to run without a cat etc).

Once ive got the engine in place it will be removed and im hoping to get the car booked in somewhere to get the rest of the bodywork finished before painting, there are a few areas which need doing that i could attempt but i dont think my skills are good enough to get the metalwork right so giving it someone who knows what they are doing will save time and money and it will be right.

If i have the money im looking at getting the project completed in a years time but if its not its not. I wont rush another project for a deadline.

On a seperate note is this cars colour how mine should be? (Im colour blind so i cant tell too well)

Old Aug 27th, 2012, 18:43   #139
PenR

Default Local help?

Hiya Jackman - PenR in sunny Stockport here! I'm in the process of restoring my 122s and am not a million miles from the lovely Westhoughton so if you need to see anything, measure copy or whatever you are more than welcome to visit and there will always be a brew on! I also posess an original hub puller and have things like brake flaring kit etc etc - so if you need anything I might be able to help out.
My resto is not as extensive as yours and I must give you credit for tackling it - all the very best
PenR - I can get PMs by the way
Cheers
PenR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PenR For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 12:22   #140
Jackman

I have been busy and not able to do any major work.

However i have managed to do this.

Thats much nicer. Not the best quality but you get the idea. Now to see if it will rev as at the moment it just cuts out. (I have filled the block with water to stop any major overheating in the block.)