Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Danish embassy 940

Views : 25451

Replies : 247

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2022, 09:44   #131
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I haven't updated this for a couple of weeks as I haven't had a chance to do any work on it. Either I've been doing stuff for my Mum, doing housey things to keep SWMBO happy, or the weather has been naff when I have had a few hours free

But its been an interesting time none the less. I'll mention it here so that its recorded in the car's history, so apologies for duplicating some of the info.

The S90 Royal that I was interested in a few months ago re-appeared in Car & Classic, and I was once again seriously tempted by it. But after many more agonising nights, I've once again decided to stick with the 940. There are signs of neglect on the Royal, and it'd cost me quite a lot in money and time to get it to the point I'm at with the 940.

One genuine consideration I had was that the Royal's longer rear doors would be better for my Mother and In-Laws, who struggle to get in/out of almost all cars. However, after thinking that I was being selfish by not buying the Royal for them, I reconciled it by realising that nobody else buys a limo to help their parents!

I've also been constrained by the provenance of the 940 - with it being so unique I was restricting myself in what I could do to/with it. Its a bit like renting a property - you live there but you can't really make it into your own home. Thats what the 940 felt like until I had a eureka moment and I decided that I'm not a museum curator

So I'll be making a few 'mods' if you like, but they'll all be reversible so the next owner (in x years time, if petrol is still available then) can revert it back to its virginal originality if required.

With this in mind, I'll be fitting different wheels to compliment the incredible bodywork. I'm considering either the 16" Galaxy fitted to the 940 Sports Edition, or the unicorn like 17" Polaris. There is a copy of the Polaris called the Eiker E1 which is still advertised on Eiker's website, so I've asked them for a quotation including shipping to the UK. I know its going to be expensive, but so will a set of Galaxy/Polaris wheels if I find any - and I'll want to refurbish them if I do find a used set, adding to the cost.

My only concern about fitting 17" wheels is the loss in ride quality. The 15s currently fitted give a luxurious ride, almost up to air suspension quality, and I'd hate to lose that. So the Galaxies seem the sensible choice, but the Polaris look better IMHO. Whatever I end up with, they'll be fitted with some all season tyres - I'm sold on them - they're ideal for my style of driving.

I have also bought a few Mk1 960 parts to go onto the car too, which may or may not be divisive... But I'll disclose those after they've been fitted

Got to go now - I have outside lighting to finish off!

Last edited by RollingThunder; Nov 27th, 2022 at 09:46.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 16:29   #132
griston64
Premier Member

I had a similar issue with my Mother in Law not being able to get in the back of my 3 door car.

I solved the problem by buying a single seat motorbike
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 16:35   #133
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I had a similar issue with my Mother in Law not being able to get in the back of my 3 door car.

Wonderful,

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 17:07   #134
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post

For yourself, or the mother-in-law?

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 13:08   #135
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
For yourself, or the mother-in-law?
Very good

I'm a fan of Moto Guzzi and had an 1100 Sport (quite) a few years ago. Super comfy bikes and great fun. Sadly my creaking body wouldn't stand up to year round biking these days - I need heated seats

I've heard back from Eiker, which I'm surprised about - looks like their reputation for not responding to emails is unfounded, in fact they were super quick. Bad news though, they don't have any in stock and don't know when they'll have more available. I found a discussion on a US forum (may have been turbobricks or swedespeed) where someone said the moulds had been damaged and they couldn't get anyone to make any more... So the Eiker E1 option may be a dead end for now. Polaris apparently cost north of £1k a set these days... didn't realise that!

So I'm now looking into aftermarket options, as well as other FWD Volvo alloys - seems any 850/x70 wheel will fit with some 25mm spacers...

Last edited by RollingThunder; Nov 28th, 2022 at 13:12.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 13:30   #136
griston64
Premier Member

Propus wheels can look pretty nice on a 940. I've also seen Tethys on a 940 which I liked.

A chap on facebook had replica BMW alpina wheels on a 940

Last edited by griston64; Nov 28th, 2022 at 13:41.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 13:53   #137
Forrest
VOC Member

Although Polaris are rare, I've never seen the attraction of 17" wheels. It means you'll have a harsher ride and be more vulnerable to pot hole damage.

IMHO you're better sticking to original RWD off-set 15" or 16" wheels with the standard size tyres that Volvo used on them. This also preserves originality, since cars of the era could have been ordered with whatever wheels the customer wanted from the catalogue. That said, the 15" Aries alloys in your first picture are correct for the Wentworth option pack.

I am currently running my Wentworth estate on its original Aries alloys with 195/65R15 Michelin Alpin winter tyres. It originally came with 185/65R15 tyres. The deeper tyre improves the ride and accuracy of the speedometer. I think Volvo originally specified the 195s for estates and 185s for saloons but I'm not sure about that.

I ran the Wentworth for a few years on 16" Auriga alloys with 205/55R16 tyres. It ran very well on these too. They came off my 940CD estate when I fitted it with Galaxy alloys.

I acquired my Galaxies by buying them in need of a refurb and then getting this done professionally. Quite cost effective a few years ago and also a natural way of spreading the cost. I bought one of them for £10, but it needed quite an expensive refurb including straightening and a small weld. Makes an excellent matching spare.

Remember if you change from the 15" wheels with hub caps to 16" or 17" wheels with visible wheel bolts you really need a set of the correct chrome wheel nuts which are NLA from Volvo. Don't confuse them with the older imperial thread ones from earlier cars if buying secondhand.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 14:27   #138
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Although Polaris are rare, I've never seen the attraction of 17" wheels. It means you'll have a harsher ride and be more vulnerable to pot hole damage.

IMHO you're better sticking to original RWD off-set 15" or 16" wheels with the standard size tyres that Volvo used on them. This also preserves originality, since cars of the era could have been ordered with whatever wheels the customer wanted from the catalogue. That said, the 15" Aries alloys in your first picture are correct for the Wentworth option pack.

I am currently running my Wentworth estate on its original Aries alloys with 195/65R15 Michelin Alpin winter tyres. It originally came with 185/65R15 tyres. The deeper tyre improves the ride and accuracy of the speedometer. I think Volvo originally specified the 195s for estates and 185s for saloons but I'm not sure about that.

I ran the Wentworth for a few years on 16" Auriga alloys with 205/55R16 tyres. It ran very well on these too. They came off my 940CD estate when I fitted it with Galaxy alloys.

I acquired my Galaxies by buying them in need of a refurb and then getting this done professionally. Quite cost effective a few years ago and also a natural way of spreading the cost. I bought one of them for £10, but it needed quite an expensive refurb including straightening and a small weld. Makes an excellent matching spare.

Remember if you change from the 15" wheels with hub caps to 16" or 17" wheels with visible wheel bolts you really need a set of the correct chrome wheel nuts which are NLA from Volvo. Don't confuse them with the older imperial thread ones from earlier cars if buying secondhand.
Although not quite the same, you can buy plastic chrome wheel nut covers that look quite effective or alternatively many Ford/Jaguar chrome/stainless wheel nuts will fit and work perfectly.

They're all M12 x 1.5 threads

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 14:46   #139
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Although not quite the same, you can buy plastic chrome wheel nut covers that look quite effective or alternatively many Ford/Jaguar chrome/stainless wheel nuts will fit and work perfectly.

They're all M12 x 1.5 threads
I bought long chrome in same size from Ebay when I fitted my Galaxies
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2022, 16:59   #140
baggy798
🤍💙💗

There is always...