Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bad running after new head gasket - cause?

Views : 28838

Replies : 386

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2014, 22:25   #131
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input guys.

I am returning to the expert...
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 07:36   #132
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Default bottle of scotch

sorry roger, just read your pm and i dont drink .
Diesel-do-nicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 08:19   #133
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default No drink?

A Scotsman who does not drink? And in particular does not drink whisky? What else can I bribe you with?
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 08:10   #134
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Valve stems?

A mechanic I know (not the one at present working on the car) has suggested the problem might be valve stems. It makes no sense at all to me but has anyone any views?
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 09:07   #135
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Not sure what he means by valve stems - i know what valve stems are but does he mean the valve stem seals, the valve stems themselves and if so in what respect? Is he suggesting they're worn?

However, a silly thought just entered my head and i wouldn't mind betting it's been overlooked.

The PCV filter/flametrap.

After the head gasket failure it's almost certainly blocked and probably the hoses connected to it and their respective stubs where they connect to things like the inlet manifold. Even if it doesn't fix things, it's worth inspecting it to make sure it's not blocked, replacing it if so.

I'm not sure if i've picked the right one here as i seem to recall your car is turbo'd and don't know if "one breather fits all" or not but that's the wee beastie i mean. Even on my n/asp K-Jet B230E, when mine was blocked it ran like a bag of camel-dung. Add a turbo to the mix and it might be enough to cause a serious problem like you have. It's also possible that it is clear/clean but leaking - again in the right place this could cause an air leak into the inlet manifold. Got to be worth checking it surely?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 11:32   #136
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default breather/flame trap etc

Thank you Scooby. I am told the breather stuff has been done. I may perhaps not fully believe it...

Suggestion was valve stems not the stem seals.

AFAIK stem seals result in puff of blue smoke when starting and/or on re-applying throttle after overrun: not happening.

Worn stems/guides would result in valves slopping about, poor compression because of bad seating, but I see no reason how they could cause a flat spot at 4,500 rpm.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 16:22   #137
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Are you still using the Turbo+ system? I was going to suggest bypassing it.
baggy798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 16:41   #138
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
Thank you Scooby. I am told the breather stuff has been done. I may perhaps not fully believe it...

Suggestion was valve stems not the stem seals.

AFAIK stem seals result in puff of blue smoke when starting and/or on re-applying throttle after overrun: not happening.

Worn stems/guides would result in valves slopping about, poor compression because of bad seating, but I see no reason how they could cause a flat spot at 4,500 rpm.
That's exactly what i would have said but for the valves to slop about to that degree the valve stems would surely have to be worn to almost nothing.
I wonder if the filter element was checked in the breather/flametrap - it's only a gauze and the pipes leading in might be clear but that might be blocked.
Assuming you can get your arm in to where it usually lives (under the inlet manifold on the side of the block) you could pull it out and check it yourself. It is a fiddle and a spare door mirror glass comes in handy to peer through the manifold branches at what you're trying to do. Because of the fact it is fiddly, i wonder/suspect it may have only been checked visually to make sure the hoses were attached.............

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 19:39   #139
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Default turbo

just replaced a turbo for a chap today,940 hpt, his had split inside the exhaust casing between the wastegate mechanism and the impeller housing, flatspot from 3000rpm and wouldnt boost more than 6psi.what a difference, like 50 horsepower difference, and the crack was visually thinner than a matchstick.
wonder if doing it sideways has nackered his garret in similar fashion
Diesel-do-nicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 11:04   #140
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Big clue?????????????

I learned only today from mecco that the flat spot only appears when the engine is warm/hot. When cold no flatspot.

That rules out a fuel pressure issue as such, in my opinion.

He is going accordingly to change the Lambda sensor again as (he says) there are two different ones, one for cars with EGR and one for cars without and maybe the wrong one is in there (even if it is new) and he is also going to change (again) that temperature sender under the manifold.

Just as well I was going to have bits resprayed though as some bar steward has keyed her up while he has has her!

My plans to buy another have fallen through.