Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 1.4 rough ans slow idling

Views : 56523

Replies : 219

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2021, 17:10   #131
Two340'sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Gap is about right (from what i remember of them) but the important bit is what brand plugs are you using?

Also if the insulators have brown rings on, there is "blow-by" past the insulator. Sooner or later this will cause tracking on the outside of the plug and when the pugs get warm, a slight leak so will help to cause a misfire.

I'm thinking if one or two plugs are just slightly misfiring, this will cause the black smoke as it will be unburned fuel in the exhaust that burns once the others fire normally. It will also make the others run slightly richer so again, extra fuel going in.

I would use NGK, Denso or Bosch in that order of preference. Also bear in mind that new plugs are generally (certainly NGK) are set by default to 0.9mm or 0.036" so will need closing up slightly before use.

The plugs that were in were NGK, looked black (rich) when I took them out just now. The insulators were fine, no evidence of blow past.

I just fitted a set of new NGK ZGR5B plugs, initially good tickover, then the trouble started again.

This is a terrible video, but may show something. The squeak is the fan belt.

https://youtu.be/6Fsk70QQZr4

Turning off the engine and restarting can sometimes clear the bad idle.

Last edited by Two340'sman; Jul 9th, 2021 at 17:15.
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two340'sman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 20:16   #132
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Listening to that it sounds like it's not the fan belt, more the alternator bearings are going. Does the increased squeal accompany the rough running?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 20:19   #133
Two340'sman

Well!

About 5 years ago I set up my carburettor idle CO using my Gunsons gas tester. Each year before the MOT I checked it and it was always fine.

Last year I could not test the CO before the MOT as I damaged my meter by stupidly connecting it up backwards. The car passed fine.

So this year before the MOT I was reluctant to touch the mixture control.

However, seeing the plugs that came out today being black after bad idling, I thought I'd screw the mixture control in and out a bit. I then adjusted it to get the fastest smooth idle. Then set the idle screw to give about 900 RPM.

The car seemed to idle quite nicely.

I then decided to refit the original Renix unit and test car again. All seems OK at the moment. But I need a good run to check it properly.

Perhaps I dislodged some grot when moving the mixture screw?

Anyway, it seems that the 360 Renix unit will work on a 1,4 and 1,7 340!

Next few days I'll test the car out further, then I need to look into repairing a Gunson gas tester so that I can set the CO more accurately.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 20:24   #134
Two340'sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Listening to that it sounds like it's not the fan belt, more the alternator bearings are going. Does the increased squeal accompany the rough running?
The recording makes stuff sound different, it's the belt, when I put water or a bit of silicone on it, it stops. I have a new one. I have a spare new alternator too. Squeak nothing to do with rough running.

The electric fan cut on during the video, this sounds completely different to live!

Next time I'll put my listening stick on the alternator, just to be sure!

Last edited by Two340'sman; Jul 9th, 2021 at 20:27.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 20:32   #135
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
The recording makes stuff sound different, it's the belt, when I put water or a bit of silicone on it, it stops. I have a new one. I have a spare new alternator too. Squeak nothing to do with rough running.

Next time I'll put my listening stick on the alternator, just to be sure!
If the bearings are beginning to bind in the alternator then it could put extra load on the engine which would cause rough running. Also alternator belts usually go quiet by themselves once the battery has recovered from starting, it's rare the squeal is more or less permanent unless there's an underlying problem.

I have a rumbly bearing on the A/C compressor clutch on my other beast, most of the time it's just noisy but occasionally it sticks a bit and makes the engine grunt a fair bit, knocking a big hole in the performance. Sometimes on idle it can almost stall it if the compressor kicks in.

I have a bearing but crawling under with the front wheels on ramps, dropping the compressor and then pulling the pulley off to replace the bearing doesn't sound very appealing at the moment, especially with how wet it's been! Daresay it'll keep going a while longer!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 20:59   #136
Two340'sman

Very light rain only for a few min today, nice and sunny. London.

Possibly I'll do another recording, saying that it will probably rain!

Never owned a car with air con!

Last edited by Two340'sman; Jul 9th, 2021 at 21:03.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 21:16   #137
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Very light rain only for a few min today, nice and sunny. London.

Possibly I'll do another recording, saying that it will probably rain!

Never owned a car with air con!
Aside from the 3-week "heatwave" recently and a few sparsely scattered warm dry days, it's been 10 months solid of cold and/or wet weather here.

Even on most of those dry days, it was threatening rain all day so very little has been done this past couple of years or more.

Old Jul 9th, 2021, 21:37   #138
Two340'sman

I love work, I can watch it for hours.
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 17:24   #139
Two340'sman

So far, fiddling with the idle mixture screw seems to have done the trick. I need to test on a good run tomorrow, but I'm very hopeful.

Another vid of the engine ticking over, in real life it's much quieter than this, not so tappety. I checked the alternator and water pump bearings for noise and they are OK.

Found my analogue Gunsons gas tester, took it apart, say no obvious faults, cleaned the zero adjust pot with Servisol, connected up power and nedle goes full scale, no adjustment possible. Tomorrow, my friend is bringing his faulty one, I'll look at that too.

https://youtu.be/mtl2ETfI07g

Once again, many thanks to all that have contributed ideas. This is a fantastic site.
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 17:33   #140
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Found my analogue Gunsons gas tester, took it apart, say no obvious faults, cleaned the zero adjust pot with Servisol, connected up power and nedle goes full scale, no adjustment possible. Tomorrow, my friend is bringing his faulty one, I'll look at that too.
You didn't have the switch in the "Test" position did you? That makes the meter go FSD with no adjustment. On mine, there is a spot on one end of the switch, if this end of the switch is down, it's in Test mode. Try moving the switch a few times and see what happens.