Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

19T turbo?

Views : 15818

Replies : 171

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2007, 17:22   #121
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpy View Post
Thanks for that! The thing is even sticking with the 16T and doing the exhaust / filter & remap would probably mean new clutch required & then the total cost would be nearing 19T territory anyway!!!!!! Argghhh
if your clutch is on the way out it will need changing anyway, regardless of the turbo you choose.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 18:40   #122
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Indeed. Ignore the clutch...it almost certainly needs doing anyway.

I think 350 or even 400 (crank) with the right block ('blue top', or later 'black top') and the right turbo is perfectly possible...just nobody does it. Most people jump straight from a relatively modest "daily driver" setup to a mental 'built' motor. Although I have no proof, I bet there's some middle ground...there is with most engines.

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 19:00   #123
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
if your clutch is on the way out it will need changing anyway, regardless of the turbo you choose.
Yeah the clutch release bearing is squealing but it's been like that for ages. Clutch feels fine but I'm 99% sure its original so yes prob needs doing at some point!
carpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 19:02   #124
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Indeed. Ignore the clutch...it almost certainly needs doing anyway.

I think 350 or even 400 (crank) with the right block ('blue top', or later 'black top') and the right turbo is perfectly possible...just nobody does it. Most people jump straight from a relatively modest "daily driver" setup to a mental 'built' motor. Although I have no proof, I bet there's some middle ground...there is with most engines.

cheers

James
Weird isn't it !

I guess the reason must be that it's pretty much the same cost to go higher as it needs a built engine anyway.
Old May 14th, 2007, 19:53   #125
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Well no - I'm saying I think if you're careful, 350+ is possible on a stock (late / strong) longblock. 20psi on something which flows really well on the exhaust side, standalone EMS expertly tuned...I think 400 is possible.

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:56   #126
RiPsTa33
Trader

[QUOTE=carpy;237741]

Change my Milltek catback exhaust for a BSR catback exhaust
Change my ITG air filter for a BSR air filter
QUOTE]

Why? I dont think you will see any difference whatsoever by changing these for similar products apart from the missing £400 from your wallet, you would be better off with blue injectors and a 18T from the same money. Keep the ITG, Miltek do the clutch and get stuart to do a custom remap. Sorry to confuse you even more. De-cat pipe would be good for very little money if you get one made up. I think stuart is a powerflow dealer now so he should be able to do it.
Old May 15th, 2007, 13:50   #127
don kalmar union
Trader

[QUOTE=RiPsTa33;238971]
Quote:

Change my Milltek catback exhaust for a BSR catback exhaust
Change my ITG air filter for a BSR air filter
QUOTE]
you would be better off with blue injectors and a 18T from the same money.
Below a true 300bhp, computed at the flywheel, you will not need larger injectors with proper mapping on these cars with an 18T.

Regards, Don.Norchi.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 14:56   #128
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

Because the Milltek is apparantly restrictive inside (2") whereas the BSR is not and the foam air ITG filter is not as good as the BSR.

I'm a bit annoyed if that's the case as I was told the Milltek would not need to be changed should I go for more power in future. If it's 2" inside then it would definitely need changing when you got for the 3" downpipe route surely?
Old May 15th, 2007, 15:05   #129
pault5

Quote:
Because the Milltek is apparantly restrictive inside (2") whereas the BSR is not and the foam air ITG filter is not as good as the BSR.

I'm a bit annoyed if that's the case as I was told the Milltek would not need to be changed should I go for more power in future. If it's 2" inside then it would definitely need changing when you got for the 3" downpipe route surely?
Milltek is 2.5 inch.

Paul
pault5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 15:51   #130
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:

yes but you need to look at who told you that!! same people im guessing who say 340 can be had from a 19t and who like to paint volvo turbo's and pass them of as hybrids!!

regarding the ITG's, i changed mine out for a bsr\jr panel filter. mainly cos the ITG would coat my maf in oil over time.

regards the exhuasts, personally the bsr looks to be made much better than the miltek, but i have only seen the miltek from pictures.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote