Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

Views : 111647

Replies : 434

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 13:29   #111
Snowdon

To all those affected by ETM issues I sincerely hope that now it has gone on Watchdog the momentum will grow, as it looks as in this case Volvo/Ford aren’t listening to what there customers are saying (SAFETY, UNPREDICTABILITY AND FINANCIAL LOSS THROUGH A MISSCONCEIVED DESIGN) without which they would not exist, just look at the USA market.
Eventually through the determination already shown and revising your strategy Corporations eventually succumb.
I wish you all well and a successful conclusion to this whole mess.
Snowdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 19:19   #112
kevham

Following an e-mail I sent to Volvo last night, I received an e-mail from Volvo this morning (full text below). I am guessing this is a stock response but it is interesting for the following reasons:

1. They are NOT accepting that the problem is a safety issue (although their logic seems flawed to me).
2. They are trying to fob us off with the software upgrade. I suspect that this will only remove the fallback to 'limp' mode (and hence remove the potential for the issue to be called a safety issue). I cannot see how alteration of the software will in any way fix a degraded potentiometer track (which is what Vexedvolvo.org claims is the cause of failure). This suggests that Volvo UK either don't understand the failure mode or are not accepting it.
3. They are saying that other things can cause some of the symptoms (which I'm sure is true). However, can we have faith in the dealers to accurately diagnose the ETM?
4. Finally, they seem to be conceeding that they will take into account any previous notification of the problem if it proves that the ETM is faulty. I'll reserve judgement.

My car is being picked up by the dealer on Friday (credit to them - they called me at 8.30am today and offered to pick it up but claimed to be completely unaware of Watchdog or any ETM issues). Bear in mind when reading all this that my car's ETM has NOT failed - it is only exhibiting poor starting and rough idle on an intermittent basis.

VOLVO E-MAIL:
Thank you for your e-mail below. Volvo Car UK Limited would like to
arrange for your car to be upgraded with new software to improve the
performance of the ETS. We are due to have updated software within the
next few months and will be in contact nearer the time to arrange a
convenient time for the software to be installed. Volvo does not
consider this matter to be safety related in that the vehicle will only
use limp mode under very specific conditions to prevent damage to the
car and more importantly allow the driver to stay in control of their
vehicle albeit that there is reduced acceleration and top speed thereby
allowing the car to be driven to a position of safety. There are varying
levels of limp, depending on driving style some drivers will notice
little difference, whilst others may detect a slight performance
reduction.

If you are currently experiencing concerns such as the warning messages
of 'check engine' or 'ETS' or even experience uneven engine idling
before the upgrade is available, please do take your car to your local
Volvo Authorised dealer who can diagnose if the symptoms are related to
the ETS. It is possible that other issues may exhibit similar
characteristics but in any event the car should be taken to an
Authorised Volvo dealer or repair centre to ensure correct diagnosis.

Should your dealer determine that the issues that you are experiencing
are related to the ETM then naturally we will take into account your
contact with us and any previously reported experience when determining
our level of responsibility.

Thank you for your contact, I hope that this reassures you as to the
action we wish to take to restore your confidence in Volvo and our
product.

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 20:15   #113
After_Shock

My efforts to defend Volvo and prove an insight into whats happening have obviously been taken far too seriously so I will just be quiet on the matter.

Last edited by After_Shock; Feb 16th, 2006 at 18:16.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 20:21   #114
Welshboyglos
id was joe440andrew460

Oh My God

After reading this thread today I am now climbing the walls.
Guess who took the V70 to the dealer today? And guess what the suspected fault is from the symtoms in these posts?

Thanks to Telewest Replay I have just watched Watchdog and that was a cop out!
How did I know that it was on yesterday? When waiting for them to book the car in I saw an Email. It was from Volvo UK to their dealers advising that Volvo would be on Watchdog and the action they should take if people contacted the dealers.

Alas I could read no more as a colleague needed to read it and it was taken from the lady's desk. There is proof that they knew YESTERDAY about what was happening so they should not have advised the post above that they knew nothing.

We told our dealer a few weeks ago of the problems we were experiencing and they plugged it in, and said "There's no fault". Well there wouldnt be would there, The unit won't log a fault til it failed.

They asked us to leave it with them overnight (hence why they have the car today) and we get it back on Friday. We'll see what they say.

I think that there is one hell of a cover up from Volvo. And so they would, they don't want to have to pay out do they.

We'll see..........

'01 V70 T5 SE "Ollie aka The Boat" (MW51DGE)
'95 440 1.8Si "Myrtle" (N241NTG)

Welshboyglos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 20:34   #115
After_Shock

My efforts to defend Volvo and prove an insight into whats happening have obviously been taken far too seriously so I will just be quiet on the matter.

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 21:49   #116
scoffbelly
Scoffbelly

Default Not a problem in the UK

I am confused, what is different about UK ETM's compared to USA ETMs. Did I hear Watchdog say 40,000 have failed in the USA ?

If there's "almost no problem in the UK" why didn't Volvo explain this to Watchdog and put our minds at rest ?

There is also an earlier post on this thread that reads

I have now fitted about 10 genuine ETM units in the last 7-9 months, and getting more......

I do concede that yes the dealers have been dragged into what is actually Volvo's problem. My Volvo Garage was indeed excellent when my ETM failed, they replaced it the same day when I had no appointment, and gave me a loan car for free whilst it was being attended to.

Last edited by scoffbelly; Feb 15th, 2006 at 22:18.
scoffbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 22:23   #117
Welshboyglos
id was joe440andrew460

Thanks for the post aftershock

your comment of "Please next time you speak to the service department at your dealer ask them honestly how many cars they have had in and had to replace ETM's on in the last year"

When we took our car in a few weeks ago detailing the "symptoms" of the fault our dealer said that there is no fault (as no fault code is stored).

However the same conversation with the ex Volvo mechanic now set up on his own as an Independant, advised that the ETM be investigated straight away.

My dealer will NOT advise how many they have replaced and even if they did I would not believe them as if they don't diagnose the fault in the first place why the hell would they replace them?

I can't even get an answer as to when my car will be ready when it's there never mind gleaning information from them regarding a fault that could cost Volvo dear.

I have worked for similar companies and these releases to branches or dealerships aren't there to stop the front line staff look like "tits" (to coin a phrase) they are there to minimise the damage to the BRAND and NOTHING ELSE!

Different memo's will be circulated as soon as the dust has settled - message me privately if you can prove me wrong. Even better get the email sent yesterday and POST IT HERE for all of us to read - then we'll see EXACTLY what Volvo UK's official line is through its network of its dealers.

I'm sure we'd all love to know

'01 V70 T5 SE "Ollie aka The Boat" (MW51DGE)
'95 440 1.8Si "Myrtle" (N241NTG)

Welshboyglos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 23:35   #118
After_Shock

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:11   #119
PunkDebutante

Aftershock,

As an employee of Volvo I commend you for defending them but you are seriously proving that you know nothing about Volvo's and the ETM failure and part. You are honestly making yourself look like a real twit. I have every internal document circulating about this ETM (Thank you daddy!) and you obviously are only see are very small part of what is being circulated as you are obviously a very junior employee.

What dealership do you work for? I would love to know as you seem to be able to access your manager's computer which is against Data Protection laws.

As soon as Volvo puts a part in their car with their badge on it, it becomes their responsbility. That isn't my take on it, that is the law. Volvo should be suing the manufacturer of the part, not us as it Volvo's stained repuation on the line.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:12   #120
PunkDebutante

Quote:
Originally Posted by After_Shock
One televised problem on TV which has only happened due to the problem that actually exists in the US has made people paranoid!

There is no cover up as theres nothing to cover up! Please next time you speak to the service department at your dealer ask them honestly how many cars they have had in and had to replace ETM's on in the last year, theres almost no problem in the UK.

Yes Volvo sent an E-mail to volvo dealers advising them as you say that Volvo would be on watchdog and informing us of what it was about so we didnt look like a bunch of tits if someone phoned up asking about it.
That is not true that there isn't a cover-up. I have every internal document to prove their has been one. So, you still don't know what you are taking about.