Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My S40 Badly Damaged!

Views : 19210

Replies : 179

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2013, 13:50   #111
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by S40Matt View Post
I'm not sure I would admit to dabbling in a bit of drifting on the internet.
Why not? Would be more understandable than claiming a motorcycle (or equal) hit the rim and caused curbrash but hitting it and therefore pulling it into the curb...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 14:32   #112
S70 B5254T
☭Nick☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Someone who admits to being an enthusiastic driver mais non?

And wants more
http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/21886-s40-d5-remap/

with a few other mods
http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/21960-s40-d5-mods-list/

who likes to use the engine
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...3&postcount=19

and admits to racing on public roads
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=169534

And has some pretty low average mpg figures
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=169534
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=168750

Doesn't really set the scene very well
For me, the above is the best post so far...

Denial is a common symptom of running out of skill - whining about being beaten by a Passat Bluemotion and no one being able to work out why..... I'd say the "old" man described knows how to drive a car.

Buy a car with power more in line with your ability, and one that your obviously appalling attitude to driving will be able to do (slightly) less damage with - maybe a Ford Ka or 3 pot Corsa would be more appropriate.

Yes, the thread is humorous, but I hope to God that the kerb isn't replaced by a pedestrian or cyclist in the future.

1998 Volvo S70 CD 2.5T 20 valve (B5254T)
Community First Responder transport & Daily Driver
previously...1994 Volvo 854 SE 2.0 20 valve "L411XCC" &
1999 Volvo S40 2.0T SE "T283LTW"
S70 B5254T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to S70 B5254T For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 14:51   #113
kebab10
Premier Member

I remember being at Castle Combe racetrack last year, and a driver who went off and got beached admitted to "running out of talent" at the crucial moment.

Guilty of lack of talent on the highway, but also guilty of talent in the fiction department. Glad I wasnt near the kerb when he hit it!
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kebab10 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 15:57   #114
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by S40Matt View Post
I'm not sure I would admit to dabbling in a bit of drifting on the internet.
It depends if you do it on a track in the environment designed to cater to it with adequate safety precautions and emergency care on hand then yes it can be. I mean for example one case last season as a marshall that will haunt me forever more is seeing an MG open top V8 coming about 110 into Druids backwards about 1ft - 2ft in to the crash barrier right in front of me (for those that know Oulton Park it was on the entry to it, he lost it on the left hand side).

I just stood there for 10 seconds let the dust settle like every marshall is taught to do and look out for my partner who had already gone out there.

In regards to the medical attention full spinal board extraction 10-15 minutes, he was at hospital within 30 -40 - purely for checks because of the nature of the crash.

The open public highway is a different kettle of fish, you clearly are an idiot either way, where as on a track okay you run out of talent this might sound crude, but I could not give a sh*t about the car in that instance if that person lives as a result or is at/receiving medical attention within a short space of time you have done your voluntary job well - cars can be replaced, life cannot about the only damage is to the car and their pride there is far more to loose on the public highway.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 16:15   #115
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebab10 View Post
I remember being at Castle Combe racetrack last year, and a driver who went off and got beached admitted to "running out of talent" at the crucial moment.

Guilty of lack of talent on the highway, but also guilty of talent in the fiction department. Glad I wasnt near the kerb when he hit it!
Everyone runs out of talent and nobody on the road is a perfect driver. Some people underestimate the speeds of others. Some people don't know, that the brake pedal can be pressed right through and not only a couple of millimeters. Some people don't know how to slow down using the gears. And others take curves too fast.

I've run out of skills a couple of times and I admit to those occasions. I've been lucky 9 out of 10 times and nothing has happend (spun off the road in Britain around December 2010, took an Autobahn exit which was limited to 40 km/h with 110 km/h (!!!!) and was lucky that I had ESP, etc. etc. etc.) but I admit to mistakes I make...

Honesty is the best thing to have. It is rare today and nobody will rip your head off, if you admit you did something wrong. I rammed a bloomin' disabled parking space sign on Xmas eve. Damaged my car. The police were called (by myself being honest) and they simply said "**** happens" and that was that (okay, the bills I received afterwards hurt, but I didn't get any nasty fines etc.).

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2013, 18:23   #116
Volvorforlife
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebab10 View Post

If you seen the state of my track car you would see how often I run out of talent.
62reg Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE
Volvorforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvorforlife For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 12:42   #117
kebab10
Premier Member

Had a slight lack of talent moment yesterday! Driving back from Didcot station, saw my turn, but somehow missed it and ended up in a Farm shop Car Park!!!

No idea why but turned around, had hit nothing and carried on a bit more carefully. What a plonker!
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 16:28   #118
SAAB9k

Hi guys..

Just to let you know this thread is being followed elsewhere..
Finding it hilarious..

Definitely kerb damage..

You drive into a cul-de-sac on the left which leaves your near side next to the kurb all the way around..
A motorbike flew out of a driveway did it?
Or exited one of the supposed shops in a cul de sac?

This is the kind of ownage that makes thread stardom...
but not quite as good as the NSX_NICK thread..
SAAB9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 17:27   #119
Zeb246

Lower suspension arm fitted today, but the wheel is still not quite straight. From an angle you could tell the wheel has gone inwards. My mechanic suggested to get the car 4 wheel aligned. I've booked it in for a 4 wheel alignment tomorrow morning, I hope it's nothing serious.
Zeb246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 17:37   #120
TEZ-1

Oh! the thread that keeps on giving. lol!
TEZ-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TEZ-1 For This Useful Post: