Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New d4 economy?

Views : 15060

Replies : 173

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2015, 15:23   #111
st4
I've Been Banned

Anyone bought a petrol engine VEA 2litre.

Whilst I'd end up with a diesel because they are much more common, a petrol makes more sense to me as a) I don't mind getting 30mpg as opposed to 40mpg b) I prefer quietness and smoothness to saving a tenner a week. I only will do 12-16k miles per year all leisure.
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 17:44   #112
PipPip

For comparison we have a MY2015 D4 XC60 in AWD variant with the older 5 cyclinder 2.4 D4 engine coupled to a manual gear box. We are averaging 39mpg after 6,000 miles. Looks pretty close to the actual figures being achieved by people with the new VEA D4 despite being heavier due to bigger engine and AWD gubbins. Would not have expected that, maybe the claimed efficiency of the VEA is just marketing hype.
PipPip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 21:15   #113
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
For comparison we have a MY2015 D4 XC60 in AWD variant with the older 5 cyclinder 2.4 D4 engine coupled to a manual gear box. We are averaging 39mpg after 6,000 miles. Looks pretty close to the actual figures being achieved by people with the new VEA D4 despite being heavier due to bigger engine and AWD gubbins. Would not have expected that, maybe the claimed efficiency of the VEA is just marketing hype.
Its not all marketing hype!

Its pretty much as quick as they say.

As for the fuel efficiency.....
It looks like marketing Hype!

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 13:24   #114
mwoods666

Default D4 or not D4

The details from AndyMcP download above are very interesting to read. I looked at this thread as I am currently having problems with a new 'D4' XC60AWD.
My current MPG (both computer and double checked) is only 26mpg.!!!!

The car is less than a month old and has less than a thousand miles on it, but this seems incredibly low.

The dealer has confirmed that everything is working as it should, and commented that the engine will loosen up.

The driving is mixed A, B and town driving. No speed limits exceeded, no harsh acceleration.

The reason for the title, relates to the fact that I bought the car having read all about the new fuel efficient innovations and progress that Volvo had made on their 2.0D4 engine.

it was only when it was back in for various repairs and warning lights staying on (after one week) did it become apparent that it is actually a 2.4, 5 cylinder engine, now badged by Volvo as a D4, as well as their new actual D4 engine.

What I have is a detuned D5. Supposedly the D4 XC60 AWD does not exist with the 'new' D4 engine, only the old 'rebadged' D4. This still does not explain the high fuel consumption. I had a D5 XC90 a few years ago and it managed 31-12mpg and 37 on a longer run.

Currently feels like I have been sold a 'Friday afternoon' car. Any thoughts anyone has on what the problem with the engine could be would be appreciated.
mwoods666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 14:10   #115
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

There is no 'supposedly' about the D4 and AWD - it is only available with the 2.4ltr 5 cylinder engine and the FWD is only available with FWD. It has been that way for while now and I find it surprising that your dealer is unaware of this - it couldn't be clearer in the brochure.

The d4 is not a detuned d5, the cylinder block is the same, but there are differences in the rest of the engine which explains the power and the better economy on the 215 bhp version of the engine.

The Volvo naming is not about cylinders or engine size, it is down to the power that the engine develops and as yours is 181bhp it is currently classed as a d4, the same as the 2.0ltr 181bhp engine is classed as a d4. If it had less power it might be in the d3 power range or more it might be a d5 power range. the d5 that you had in the xc90 could be one of a range as the d5 has gone from 163bhp to 215bhp in its different guises over many years.

The d4 AWD XC60 has never been known for good economy as an automatic, but it is reasonable as a manual, possibly this is why it is not as popular as the d5 version? I suggest that you do some brim to brim calculation to understand the true mpg that you are getting which i would expect to be a bit better, but not stellar.

a suggestion - have you spoken to Volvo Customer Support? I strongly suggest that you give them a call since if what you describe is what transpired then they will support and assist you 01628 422522

Last edited by wimorrison; Jan 19th, 2015 at 14:48.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 20:41   #116
PipPip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoods666 View Post
The details from AndyMcP download above are very interesting to read. I looked at this thread as I am currently having problems with a new 'D4' XC60AWD.
My current MPG (both computer and double checked) is only 26mpg.!!!!

The car is less than a month old and has less than a thousand miles on it, but this seems incredibly low.

The dealer has confirmed that everything is working as it should, and commented that the engine will loosen up.

The driving is mixed A, B and town driving. No speed limits exceeded, no harsh acceleration.

The reason for the title, relates to the fact that I bought the car having read all about the new fuel efficient innovations and progress that Volvo had made on their 2.0D4 engine.

it was only when it was back in for various repairs and warning lights staying on (after one week) did it become apparent that it is actually a 2.4, 5 cylinder engine, now badged by Volvo as a D4, as well as their new actual D4 engine.

What I have is a detuned D5. Supposedly the D4 XC60 AWD does not exist with the 'new' D4 engine, only the old 'rebadged' D4. This still does not explain the high fuel consumption. I had a D5 XC90 a few years ago and it managed 31-12mpg and 37 on a longer run.

Currently feels like I have been sold a 'Friday afternoon' car. Any thoughts anyone has on what the problem with the engine could be would be appreciated.
Mine did need to loosen up (its a manual) - this improved economy and the engine became a bit smoother. Economy was only around 25-30mpg for the first 1000 miles. Now its done 6,000 miles we get close to 40mpg but we do only use it for long journeys.
PipPip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 00:08   #117
volvorocks
Rodney

Can't really take part in this 'new vea d4 economy' discussion from a d4 point of view, although will say, as I have said before, an Insignia diesel for example (the Volvo Assist courtesy car of choice......!!) returned for me over 50mpg by the time I returned it. This 50mpg was very very very very easy to obtain despite the fact I 'tested' it, perhaps not quite like Jeremy Clarkson did with his ''Avis'' Toyota, but I certainly didn't pussyfoot around. Driven slower it would have returned an average closer to 60 I reckon. Point is, is that 55mpg would be soooo easy to obtain,regularly, for the average driver. Wasn't overkeen on the car, but competent nonetheless. Did like the fact that when on cruise in the Insignia you could change up a gear without cancelling the cruise. Was that a feature or was it a fault? Dunno - but it was handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4 View Post
Anyone bought a petrol engine VEA 2litre.
Believe the VEA petrol is only available at present in the UK in V40 T5 at present, and I think only one member has one.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 19:10   #118
Considered1
Premier Member

Just looked back at one of my trips last week when it was very windy. 45.3mpg going and 38.5 coming back against the wind. Did notice it was strong. As I've said before head on into wind this is the most un-aerodynamic car I have had, but then it's also the biggest and chunkiest, still happy..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 21:40   #119
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
Just looked back at one of my trips last week when it was very windy. 45.3mpg going and 38.5 coming back against the wind. Did notice it was strong. As I've said before head on into wind this is the most un-aerodynamic car I have had, but then it's also the biggest and chunkiest, still happy..
Here's drag coefficient of a few cars....

XC60 0.35

V40 Cross Country 0.33

Audi Q7 0.37

BMW X3 0.35

Skoda Yeti 0.36
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 16:12   #120
Gilesme

Interesting - cd combined with Frontal Area is key - i'm presuming the XC60 has more than the Yeti !
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote