Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 651765

Replies : 1375

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2023, 13:08   #1151
Othen
Premier Member

Default Tell Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I was thinking about the control and indication arrangement for the O/D today, and have decided I quite like the ex-HRW switch and tell-tale as fitted, but on balance it might benefit from an additional tell-tale to show when the O/D is actually engaged. I'm going to add an indicator light to the cct like this:

... and so have ordered some 8mm LED dashboard lights (less than a fiver for 5 different colours). It should be a simple job to run the spare brown wire I'd installed on the downstream side of the inhibitor switch to somewhere on the dash (or maybe the ex-HRW panel).

These little chaps turned up with the postie this morn:

... what good value, 5 LED instrument tell tales in different colours (red, orange, green blue and white) for a fiver delivered.

It took about half an hour to put GAM up on some ramps, pull the spare wire I'd installed on the OD inhibitor switch through to the cabin and install the green LED:

... the function is perfect: the larger amber incandescent is just a reminder that the switch is in the down position, the green LED comes on only when the OD is engaged (so in top gear and the switch closed). The practice the smaller LED is plenty bright enough compared with the incandescent lamp.

In the fullness of time I may find a smarter switch plate and install two LEDs (probably green and orange) to replicate the function in a slightly tidier way. In the meantime I'm happy with this little job.

Dave: if you want one of the LEDs to try then pick red, blue or white and I'll mail you one in a jiffy bag.

Last edited by Othen; Apr 13th, 2023 at 13:17.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 13:43   #1152
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
These little chaps turned up with the postie this morn:

... what good value, 5 LED instrument tell tales in different colours (red, orange, green blue and white) for a fiver delivered.

It took about half an hour to put GAM up on some ramps, pull the spare wire I'd installed on the OD inhibitor switch through to the cabin and install the green LED:

... the function is perfect: the larger amber incandescent is just a reminder that the switch is in the down position, the green LED comes on only when the OD is engaged (so in top gear and the switch closed). The practice the smaller LED is plenty bright enough compared with the incandescent lamp.

In the fullness of time I may find a smarter switch plate and install two LEDs (probably green and orange) to replicate the function in a slightly tidier way. In the meantime I'm happy with this little job.

Dave: if you want one of the LEDs to try then pick red, blue or white and I'll mail you one in a jiffy bag.

Why not just use one LED and a panel mount bezel Alan?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121183854...4AAMXQrC9SblN~

It's a comon cathod versin so the centre pin can go to the common earth point where you have the individual telltales, feed each anode from the +ve feed points for the telltales via a 1k resistor each.

With OD on/primed, the LED will be green, when engaged (and the 2nd telltale would light) the 2nd LED in the housing lights causing the actual colour shown to change from green to yellow.

Would give a neater solution i think.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 14:00   #1153
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Why not just use one LED and a panel mount bezel Alan?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121183854...4AAMXQrC9SblN~

It's a comon cathod versin so the centre pin can go to the common earth point where you have the individual telltales, feed each anode from the +ve feed points for the telltales via a 1k resistor each.

With OD on/primed, the LED will be green, when engaged (and the 2nd telltale would light) the 2nd LED in the housing lights causing the actual colour shown to change from green to yellow.

Would give a neater solution i think.
Maybe Dave. I was thinking more of a blank switch plate like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334767025005

... so I could drill two 6mm holes and mount an orange and a green LED a bit neater than it is now - with the existing switch in the middle.

From a functional perspective the switch and lights would be a bit better mounted higher, rather than slightly obscured by the steering wheel under the key. The dash is in pristine condition though, so I'd be loath to start drilling holes in it after 60 years:

Last edited by Othen; Apr 13th, 2023 at 14:11.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 15:09   #1154
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I was thinking of a switch mounting plate like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223954916402

Then use an 8mm LED mounting bezel (needs a 1/2" hole as per the panel above) and an 8mm tri-colour LED as described earlier.

If you can find another metal, black crackle-finish mounting panel as you already have (but have drilled through) then so much the better.

Other LED bezels are available, restricting the O/D of the bezel to 12.7mm or 1/2" to match the mounting hole limits you to an 8mm (or maybe 10mm if you're lucky) LED and some also come with diffusers, usually a translucent white so the red or yellow when the OD is on/in-use would be diffused and give it a more "period glow" would suit the car IMHO.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 16:11   #1155
Othen
Premier Member

Default Switch Plate

This is what I've ordered and how I'm going to fit it Dave:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233740405392

... so, I'll drill 2 neat 6mm holes, one each side of the switch hole to take an orange and a green LED; I like the idea of two LEDs much more than a single one that changes colour, and the items I've already bought are smart.

I'm also going to move the switch to underneath the very middle of the dash, below where the heater controls sit now. The switch will be more accessible there, the LEDs will be more easily visible and the plate less likely to get in the way of the driver getting in and out of the motor car. There are already 2 convenient screws for the heater control.

The function of the current arrangement is perfect - this will just tidy it up a bit.

Last edited by Othen; Apr 13th, 2023 at 16:19.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 18:11   #1156
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Fair enough, i can see the attraction in that method and had (sort of) thought of suggesting moving it to a more central position but i was thinking on or close to the gear lever on the console but couldn't see if there is one.

Old Apr 14th, 2023, 06:32   #1157
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Fair enough, i can see the attraction in that method and had (sort of) thought of suggesting moving it to a more central position but i was thinking on or close to the gear lever on the console but couldn't see if there is one.
We'll see how this experiment goes Dave; there may be a few changes before we get it just right .

Would you like me to put one of the LEDs in the mail for you to try in your cruise control application?

Alan
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 12:03   #1158
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
We'll see how this experiment goes Dave; there may be a few changes before we get it just right .

Would you like me to put one of the LEDs in the mail for you to try in your cruise control application?

Alan
Maybe make a cardboard knock-up of the panel so you can experiment without doing anything final to the new panel?

Yes please Alan, i'm still fighting trying to reinstate the new knock sensor but the cruise control is on my list so hopefully will land about the right time. Many thanks for that!

Old Apr 14th, 2023, 12:04   #1159
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you do decide to drill the dash and put the tell tale where Volvo fitted it, get an exact measurement for the position. If you drill a fraction too far towards the centre of the car, the hole can coincide with the edge of the speedo housing and you won't be able to fit the retainer nut. I didn't drill the hole but had a car with that problem. Even in the proper position the light does tend to hide behind the steering wheel and/or your hand when driving. The Volvo light is very similar to the ones you have bought, maybe the Volvo one is a fraction smaller but difficult to tell from your picture.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 12:13   #1160
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Maybe make a cardboard knock-up of the panel so you can experiment without doing anything final to the new panel?

Yes please Alan, i'm still fighting trying to reinstate the new knock sensor but the cruise control is on my list so hopefully will land about the right time. Many thanks for that!
Now that is a good idea Dave - some stiff cardboard or plastic sheet would be a good idea to check things out. I could use it as my drilling template as well.

Which colour LED would you like?

Alan