Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Summer and Winter Tyres

Views : 7601

Replies : 109

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2017, 09:34   #101
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
So mine is a MY16 T8 registered 1.3.16. It displays the pressure on the main screen. So it has sensors then? So how come when the man from kwikfit came and did my front tyres and would have lopped the valve off and put a new one in that the car still works and doesnt throw a fault..?
If all he did was literally change the tyres he could've left the original valves in place. Btw, with new tyres you need to calibrate the system again, if you haven't already.
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 13:06   #102
JSYHK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSYHK View Post
I spoke to Volvo UK and they confirmed that their Winter Wheel packs DO NOT ship with TPMS. Am very disappointed and seems absolutely crazy that for a safety feature (Winter tyres) they take one away.
Bear in mind these wheels come balanced from Volvo so would need rebalancing etc after fitting these; so one can only assume Volvo do not intend people to have TPMS working on their winter set. This would only affect MY16 cars.
A Happy ending for me on this issue. I spoke to Volvo Customer service and after 24 hours they approved a goodwill supply and fit of the Sensors etc. It's very odd they sell these packs without sensors.....
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 08:39   #103
swozniak

Default New winter wheels

I left looking for wheels too late (as usual) and dealer didn't have any stock. I had to look elsewhere. I ordered BBS wheels from rimstyle.com (who were really good, next day delivery) and Nokian tyres separately from blackcircles.com. Had them fitted yesterday and went for a test drive. I will second what Lexman8 mentioned in the first post. Car is noticeably quieter on the road, much smoother and comfortable ride. I also quite like the wheel design.

I asked my insurance about fitting after market wheels and they were ok with it. I am awaiting the response from the dealer with regards to reprogramming the software as I think the circumference of the wheels is slightly different (2.2% smaller according to wheel-size.com. But all the systems are working fine and car is not complaining so far.

Picture of the rims attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0239.jpg (246.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0241.jpg (320.2 KB, 39 views)
swozniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 10:12   #104
Konst

your wheels looks nice but very small, is it 18" rims?
MY17 XC90 D5 Inscription 7 seats, Electric silver/charcoal, 21"wheels,Walnut,leather dash,Luxury pack ventilated+massage, 4 zone clim pack,Xenium Pack, VOC+modem, sunroof, Winter pro Pack Auxiliary Fuel Heater+HUD,Business+ pack with B&W +DAB
Konst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 10:13   #105
Lexman8
Premier Member

What size wheels and tyres did you get?
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 10:41   #106
swozniak

Yep, they are 18". Better traction in snow. Tyres are 235/60/18 107V Nokian WR SUV 3
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 11:00   #107
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swozniak View Post
I am awaiting the response from the dealer with regards to reprogramming the software as I think the circumference of the wheels is slightly different (2.2% smaller according to wheel-size.com0.
Quote:
Yep, they are 18". Better traction in snow. Tyres are 235/60/18 107V Nokian WR SUV 3
With 235/60/18 tyres there's no need to alter any parameters in s/w as the speedometer reading 'error' is trivial. To be precise, where the speedo would previously have read 30 mph it will now read 29.92 mph and so is well within spec.
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 11:21   #108
swozniak

Thanks for letting me know Lexman8
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 15:08   #109
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
As I understand it there are no TPMS sensors on the MY17 cars, the system uses the rolling circumference of the tyre linked via the ABS system, that's why it takes a while to configure and it is important the tyre pressures are correct. if a tyre starts to lose pressure the distance travelled per revolution of the tyre is slightly less and this is what the system picks up not the actual pressure in the tyre.
Finally!
BMWs had this mechanism in place around 15 years ago...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2017, 18:21   #110
gaby
Premier Member

iTPMS may have been something special 15 years ego, but compared to the MY2016 XC90, to me it is a downgrade.
I would prefer TPMS as an option, I would certainly pay for it.
PS:My BMW motorcycle has "true" TPMS.
gaby is online now   Reply With Quote