Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter Tyre Poll

Views : 33820

Replies : 208

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you slapping on winter tyres?
Yes 176 56.23%
No 137 43.77%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 14:44   #101
sdoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
If you reduce the size of the wheel do you not need to compensate with the tyre depth 235-65-17" to 235-70-16" ?

Steel wheels from my dealer worked out more expensive than the alloy + tyre deal that Volvo advertised.
With my nw Volvo V70
the alloys are 225/50 R17
whereas
the steels are 225/55 R16

My old old V70s had 16" alloys and my old V70 had 17" alloys
and I seemed to run OK with 195 / 65 / 15 inchers.
Hope that answers your question.

Not sure what Volvo deal are you talking about - they would supply new alloys and winter tyres cheaper than you could buy steels and winter tyres?
That can't be right - can it?
sdoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 11:58   #102
DaveN

What's the advantage of buying new wheels as well as new tyres? I know it will be easier to change them over but surely the additional expense of the rims more than offsets the hassle of switching the tyres on your current alloys. Are there other considerations here? I was planning om just getting a set of winter tyres and spending about £50 to get them switched over twice a year.
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 12:14   #103
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
What's the advantage of buying new wheels as well as new tyres? I know it will be easier to change them over but surely the additional expense of the rims more than offsets the hassle of switching the tyres on your current alloys. Are there other considerations here? I was planning om just getting a set of winter tyres and spending about £50 to get them switched over twice a year.
As you say no real advantage, other than the potential for damage each time you change the tyre and the fact that the rims will get covered in crap during the winter.

I would question your £50 as this is each time you get them changed (you will also need them balancing each time), therefore it is nearer to £100 per annum. I paid £350 for my Segin 17" rims and I plan to keep the car for 4-5 years therefore I gain the financial benefit from spare wheels and tyres.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 13:05   #104
DaveN

thanks. Yes, i did mean £50 twice a year. As i like my current alloys and don't want to spend a lot to get an equivalent 2nd pair the tyres only option appeals more to me, although i don't want them damaged from getting the tyres changed so often and having those metals weights stuck all over them for re balancing. Out of interest, does anyone know what the alloys are like on volvo's winter tyre deal?
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 17:56   #105
gillberry
VOC Member

Interesting reading through this thread and I'm sure winter tyres are fantastic but those like myself who've been driving more than 20yrs and remember driving rwd cars in deep snow and the approach as to how to make progress have not forgotten that those same principles apply now . For example you have better grip in the fresh snow in lane 2 than you do in the packed stuff in the queue in lane 1 .
Surely then the whole point is how people drive . No matter what safety features you have or tyres it is the other drivers who can cause problems .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 18:56   #106
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
Interesting reading through this thread and I'm sure winter tyres are fantastic but those like myself who've been driving more than 20yrs and remember driving rwd cars in deep snow and the approach as to how to make progress have not forgotten that those same principles apply now . For example you have better grip in the fresh snow in lane 2 than you do in the packed stuff in the queue in lane 1 .
Surely then the whole point is how people drive . No matter what safety features you have or tyres it is the other drivers who can cause problems .
Remember that from another persons perspective you are one of the other drivers who cause the problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 20:32   #107
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
I'm finding at the moment that there is no fresh snow its all slush and what looks and feels line wet sand only white. The car just sinks in and then on to the ice layer below.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 20:44   #108
gillberry
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Remember that from another persons perspective you are one of the other drivers who cause the problems.
Yes but that's the point , those who have not experienced driving in snow and winter conditions and are used to cars that have all kinds of electrical aids are not aware of the simple things which can help them on their journey .

When on your journey's how many 4x4's have you seen go sailing past because they have better grip ? They do have better grip (as a rule) but they take just as long if not longer to stop as a normal fwd or rwd car . How many of these 4x4's realise this when it's too late .

On the geartronic you have a winter setting , all it does is start you in a higher gear . If you are in a manual you don't pull away in the snow/ice in 1st gear with your foot down , your wheels spin and you get nowhere , instead you use second or third with the low revs and torque getting you going .

How many people are aware of these things and the many others which you use to drive in winter conditions or do they just rely on the electronic aids .

So I'm quite sure that I would be percieved as the nutter because I drove in the fresh snow but the last time I had to do that 3yrs ago in brum I was one of the few who kept moving . In fact having to go out into the countryside to avpoid those stook on the ice spinning their wheels right behind the car in front . All this was in a rwd 3.0 auto with tyres pumped up for the 160 mile journey I was doing on leaving brum .

My original post was not dismissing how good winter tyres are it was just saying that you can still drive in the snow with normal tyres . Look at any of the old car videos on you tube and you will see rwd cars with no driver aids moving along just fine in the snow . With the driver aids we now have we should be able to move far easier in the snow or beacuse we have not had bad winters for nearly 20yrs have people forgotten or never been taught how to drive in winter conditions .

2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 21:09   #109
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Quote:
With the driver aids we now have we should be able to move far easier in the snow or beacuse we have not had bad winters for nearly 20yrs have people forgotten or never been taught how to drive in winter conditions .
Perhaps, but having driving aids (winter tyres included) does not necessarily dumb down your driving skills. You just become a better driver.

I've seen c0cks around with XC90s throwing their cars around in this weather. That is plain dumb. Just having a big 4x4 is not always going to get you out of trouble.

Winter tyres help you along your way, along with DSTC, ABS, ABD... the list goes on.

Like with most things, once you have them you cannot imagine life without them. Some hav'em, others don't.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 21:29   #110
gillberry
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155mph View Post
Perhaps, but having driving aids (winter tyres included) does not necessarily dumb down your driving skills. You just become a better driver.

I've seen c0cks around with XC90s throwing their cars around in this weather. That is plain dumb. Just having a big 4x4 is not always going to get you out of trouble.

Winter tyres help you along your way, along with DSTC, ABS, ABD... the list goes on.

Like with most things, once you have them you cannot imagine life without them. Some hav'em, others don't.
But that is the point I'm trying to make in that winter tyres are an aid and should mean you can get virtually everywhere but if you haven't got them you should be able to keep going if you drive right .

You don't rely on the sat nav to tell you the road signs coming up as well as the directions , you use it to aid you finding your destination you still observe the road and the signs and markings . Driver aids are just that and should not be relied on . Don't get me wrong I am all for the improvements that are there but if you didn't have them they should not stop you .

2009 XC90 (Jo) .