Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY RSE Solution

Views : 33218

Replies : 128

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2013, 13:31   #101
mattyessex

Hi, just about to connect my RSE up. I notice that the wire for Video1 and Video2 seem to be one wire. The RCA Plug looks like it requires an earth. What is used for this, is it the Screen for Pin 5 or 6 wire?

Am literally solder iron at the ready so any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
mattyessex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 21:10   #102
Funky Diver
FD

So I've been inspired, and rather than go for the suggested media player, instead decided on a no name brand of Chinese electronics.

Couple of reasons;

Firstly, I'm going to try and get around the need for spending a small fortune on the conversion cable if possible. This unit has RGB output built in - bit more research me thinks.

It is blessed with HDMI out as well as standard AV out. It operates on 5 volt, so that addition of the circuitry from a 99p 12volt iPod style charger will be providing power.

However, the primary reason... it plays media from USB memory media... INCLUDING Hard Drives. I happen to have a 60GB solid state : that'll do nicely.
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 09:26   #103
mattyessex

Looks good let me know how you get on with it as plan to eventually put another media player in when my youngest boy cannot take Barbie films anymore.

That said the installation is now on hold. Media box, switch, power all installed however when I came to install the headrest monitors I purchased from eBay despite the description stating they were for an XC90 the pole width is greater than those in the car. Awaiting refund which is proving troublesome so currently with eBay to sort out !!!

Am probably going to be using a firm not to far from me that fit 7" piano black screens into existing headrests for £200 with a 48hr turnaround and I will also get the headphones from them so £250 all in, just need this refund!

Example picture that they sent me of them installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monitors.jpg (205.5 KB, 15 views)
mattyessex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 16:56   #104
Funky Diver
FD

They don't fit the second row seats by any chance?
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 17:34   #105
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Diver View Post
They don't fit the second row seats by any chance?
I doubt it, the second row headrests fold to allow the seat to fold.

Hope it helps
TruckbusUK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 09:10   #106
joemc99

Hi David,

Great write up, thanks! I have a 2004 Exec with RSE in armrest and IR screens that is not working. You seem to think these screens are not good candidates for your setup. Can you send me an IM with your email (I dont have enough posts to send you IM), I would like to send you a doc with the RSE specs (pinouts, etc)? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd love to get this going for the kids.

Cheers

Joe
joemc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:41   #107
BestGear
Master Member

Hi Joe

The screens are ok, at least they fit the headrests.

I do have the wiring - and its posted further up this thread.

If your IR is not working I suggest you check the cable as from memory, the IR is carried by the separate black cable that terminates in a 3.5mm jack socket. The main block connector is video and power only.

You may find that the cables have been tugged in yours and the jack has popped out.

David
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:39   #108
joemc99

Thanks David. I'm not sure if it is just the IR, as the DVD unit and screens are not powering up, no response from the remote at all. I have 12v at the fuses, including the one in the back of the DVD unit. However, I now see that 2 of the pins on the DVD unit are 12v, one from the battery and one from the ignition, I will check them in the next couple of days....not giving up hope yet!

I did rejoin the wires in the loom up to the DVD as these were severed, maybe my job was not good enough.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 11:51   #109
joemc99

Ok, my last post in this thread as its off topic! I had another look last night. Continuity in the loom to the DVD is good. I believe I should see 12v on 2 wires into the back of the DVD but I am only seeing 1. I will next try the RSE module....only getting 15min at a time. More of a hobby now, we will probably only use it twice a year, but I like things to work ;-)
The Following User Says Thank You to joemc99 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 14:24   #110
gloommonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Guys

Just thought I would post up my DIY RSE system, having found some time today to install it.

I purchased the headrest monitors on ebay - lucky to find the right colour leather, but unlucky, in that one screen had a fault. I was able to fix it however - lucky it was a simple component failure.

David
Hi David, I saw you mention that you fixed one of your headrest screens. One of mine has an iffy connection, I sometimes get a picture if I swivel the screen up and down. How do I remove it to check the connections? Does the plastic surround simply snap out?
Thanks,
John
gloommonger is offline   Reply With Quote