Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Revision of Motorway Speed Limits and Rules

Views : 6865

Replies : 122

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:15   #101
FireEngine

Volvorocks you have me worried.

You started this thread and have been very vociferous about speed limits but until yesterday were ignorant of the meaning of important road signs and the constraints they impose on you on different types of road.

Which brings me to my main point; education.

Although learners have to go through much more stringent education and testing than I did in the 70s, none of it prepares them for motorway driving. And it's not just newly qualified drivers. Motorway driving is fundamentally different from normal road driving and clearly large numbers of people don't understand it.

Does anyone on here have a copy of the latest Highway Code and if so, have they bothered to read it? Rules / laws change and are reflected in it. There is an on-line version too but according to the web site, the printed copy is law.

Which poses another question; If the minister announces a change on Monday next, how are we 'Officially' notified of it?

The DfT helpline haven't a clue
FireEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:17   #102
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike210970 View Post
agree with mike on the A roads 50 for all vehicles 80 on a motorway in dry weather 65 in wet weather and i dont see any reason why dual carriageways cant be 80 aswell the m18 is 2 lane for most of its length and i'd like to see lorries banned from the outside lane on 2 lane motorway one doing 55.8 one doing 55.9 and he has to overtake neither will back down so yopur stuck behind them for about 5 miles
Motorways don't have junctions roundabouts etc like dual cariageways, there are restrictions on how tight bends should be, in other words designed to be traveled on at a fairly high speed. Dual cariage ways are different. They are designed to assist trafic flow and not necesseraly at high speeds.
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:29   #103
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

I have noticed a 'creeping in' of thoughts on different speed limits when roads are wet.

To be honest, I agree with those sentiments. I have driven in countries where those rules apply - and it seems to work. One good variation on the theme of wet is turnpikes in New York State. The toll booths have a reminder... "Windshield Wipers On ... Lights On"

But it beggars the question... How wet is wet? To some it might be anything from mildly moist upwards to monsoon type rain! And who will be the final arbiter?

I shall now go and lie down as my brain is beginning to hurt.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:41   #104
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEngine View Post
Volvorocks you have me worried.

You started this thread and have been very vociferous about speed limits but until yesterday were ignorant of the meaning of important road signs and the constraints they impose on you on different types of road.
Hi FireEngine

No need to be worried although see your point!!

Ive simply always treated the National Speed Limit sign as 60mph on singles and 70mph on dual carriageways. I know it means different speed limits for different vehicles eg lorries etc although its never really crossed my mind as I dont drive a lorry!!

Yes I think I know most road signs , perhaps not all though , and probably if we are all honest most of us are the same.

Perhaps you can tell me the full meaning of the national speed limit in addition to mine above

Cheers
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:52   #105
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Hi FireEngine

No need to be worried although see your point!!

Ive simply always treated the National Speed Limit sign as 60mph on singles and 70mph on dual carriageways. I know it means different speed limits for different vehicles eg lorries etc although its never really crossed my mind as I dont drive a lorry!!

Yes I think I know most road signs , perhaps not all though , and probably if we are all honest most of us are the same.

Perhaps you can tell me the full meaning of the national speed limit in addition to mine above

Cheers
I think the main question is can people actually tell what constitutes as a "Dual Carriageway"?

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:55   #106
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
I think the main question is can people actually tell what constitutes as a "Dual Carriageway"?
Ive had this thought.

Years ago I considered anything that had 2 lanes was a dual carriage way and thus 70mph National limit applied.

However I later learnt that to really be a dual carriage way it had to have a crash barrier in between or something like that.

Good question.
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:59   #107
volvorocks
Rodney

......which also leads me onto the question if a 2 lane carriage way doesnt have the crash barrier seperating the traffic travelling in different directions then 60mph applies..??....although what about say a 100 yard stretch of that 2 lane carriageway that does have the barrier - would it be 70mph for a 100yards and then back to say 60mph?

(talking just about a car here,not HGV or towing etc)
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 10:19   #108
tt82
Forum Support Team

Yes thats exactly right. When there is a central reservation then it is 70mph for however long the central reservation is there, be it 100 yards or 100 miles..

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 10:36   #109
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Hi tt82

I think your question could give rise to an interesting discussion about what we all actually know and what we think we know!!

I passed a driving test around the time the wheel was invented…lol …and to be honest never really read the Highway Code again until I was teaching people to drive.

It transpired that my knowledge of the Highway Code wasn’t as good as I thought so I read it again a few times.

My own personal view is that driving in an orderly manner with respect for others and with common sense is as good as if not better than simply knowing the Highway Code “academically” so to speak Don’t get me wrong, I am not suggesting it’s a good idea to be absolutely wholly and utterly clueless about signs and regulations - its just like in a job there is a big gap between being qualified (ie done the exam) and having the experience. It’s the putting into practice that is important.

When I was teaching people to drive.I was of the view that when a bus is say parked at the roadside,it would be a good idea to indicate whilst passing especially if such manoeuvre meant one would cross the centre line a bit, simply to let other oncoming road users see that I may be a little on their side. This apparently is wrong , as apparently by my indicating it could mean to following users that I was turning right!

Also at junctions or traffic lights I was of the view that generally speaking one places the car in neutral and applies the handbrake. This I was informed was apparently wrong - but what about the "dont sit with your brake lights on" rule...????

Its like headlight flashing - the French for example use this correctly in so far as “ here I am be aware of me im coming through” yet I would imagine most of us use headlamp flash as a means to give way to another road user. Again this is apparently incorrect. Same goes for horn use.

Take for example when an emergency vehicle is approaching you when stopped at red lights - what do you do - obey the Highway Code and do not move, possibly getting nicked for “obstructing a police officer in the course of his duty” - or go through on red to satisfy the “do not obstruct the police” rule only to get nicked for jumping a red..!!!! Either way you cant win..lol

I think at times the Highway Code may be a contradiction in terms and especially so when set against common sense.

Food for thought

Regards

ps I bet we all have done 70mph on a dual carriage way that technically isnt a dual carriage way..!!!!!
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 10:53   #110
Michael J
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Take for example when an emergency vehicle is approaching you when stopped at red lights - what do you do - obey the Highway Code and do not move, possibly getting nicked for “obstructing a police officer in the course of his duty” - or go through on red to satisfy the “do not obstruct the police” rule only to get nicked for jumping a red..!!!! Either way you cant win..lol
The emergency vehicle (blue lights flashing) can find it's way past on the other side of the road.