Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My15 V60 D4. Giving off oily fumes

Views : 27971

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2021, 10:39   #101
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joren View Post
Hi people

I'm having pretty much exactly the same issue as Dtaylor, the topic starter.
My used V90 D4 (automatic) that I bought a few weeks ago is giving off fumes from under the hood from time to time and it looks exactly like the youtube video he posted.

It only happens when I come from the highway and get into a city traffic jam.
It seems the extra temperature from DPF regen causes a small amount of leaked oil to burn off, because it only happens at that moment.

I too have some obvious positive crankcase pressure coming from the oil cap when I take it off with the engine running at idle. It really blows like a person blowing on your hand. I'm worried but at the dealership they assured me that this is normal for the D4 engine...

What I don't understand very well is... if there is some crankcase pressure that is supposed to be sucked off by the breather system in the valve cover, wouldn't it be logical that it escapes when you open up the oil cap? It is after all a big hole that comes 'before' the breather system. If you break the airtight nature of the system, how can the breather system do its job when you remove the cap?
I'm just trying to understand whether its normal behaviour or not, because online there are a lot of mixed messages on this.

My car is at the dealer's today, really hoping they get it fixed.
The dealer said it could also be a leaking hose in the EGR system...

Apart from that my car is running really really well (VERY smooth and no error messages) and there hasn't been the slightest drop in oil level over the last 3/4 weeks.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance
are you sure it is PRESSURE you are feeling when you take the cap off ? The pulsations average pressure could be zero . Try stretching a rubber glove around the filler to see if it inflates . the main breather goes from the top cover to the turbo inlet pipe on the right hand side as you stand there looking at it . You could take that 19mm hose off the turbo inlet pipe and see whether you have a flow from the top of the engine to atmosphere. There is a valve inside the cover which may have failed . OR you could have too much blow by combustion gas for the system to cope with .
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 17:00   #102
joren

Hi

After spending a day at the dealership, problem turned out to be a cracked hose in the EGR system, in the bottom part of the bay. It's been replaced and the car seems fine since then. No more smoke from the bonnet.
In hindsight, this seems to make more sense with the symptoms too, as the smoke was really blowing out under pressure (much like the video of Dtaylor). If it were some drops of leaked oil on a hot surface, maybe it wouldn't blow out like that? I'm hopeful that the problem will not reappear.

As I was worried about the stuff I read here, I explained it to the dealer and asked him to show me some other D4 engines. He fired up 2 other cars (cold) and took off the oil cap, and smoky air was blowing out of the cap just as much on those engines.

I will still do the glove test one of these days to see if the pressure is net-zero average. Just have to find a plastic glove somewhere Will report back!

Anyway, thanks a lot for your reply clan!
joren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joren For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2022, 15:25   #103
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillypop View Post
I checked to see if the PCV in the valve / cam / rocker cover is working. On tickover it is pretty pathetic flow but not sure what to expect. So it is working but not sure if it is correct.

I will post pictures of what I did later.
@gillypop - did you get your issue resolved? I have an identical scenario!
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2022, 13:09   #104
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
are you sure it is PRESSURE you are feeling when you take the cap off ? The pulsations average pressure could be zero . Try stretching a rubber glove around the filler to see if it inflates . the main breather goes from the top cover to the turbo inlet pipe on the right hand side as you stand there looking at it . You could take that 19mm hose off the turbo inlet pipe and see whether you have a flow from the top of the engine to atmosphere. There is a valve inside the cover which may have failed . OR you could have too much blow by combustion gas for the system to cope with .
When I take the oil filler cap off there is definitely some positive pressure there but this could be normal as opening the cam cover to atmospheric pressure by taking the cap off may well cause the diaphragm valve at the other end of the cover to close and stop venting to the fresh air charger intake hose as you have introduced a path of lower resistance.

With the cap on my cam cover vent pipe that connects the the fresh air hose will inflate a rubber glove in a matter of seconds so I believe it is operating correctly.

My problem was I observed smoke drifting out of the front grille last week after I pulled into a car park after a relatively short drive into Town of 10 minutes and maybe 4 miles. It was definitely smoke and smelled of burnt oil. Looked like it was coming from the back of the engine (no surprise there as that's where the hot bits are). So far I have not managed to reproduce the smoke issue so hopefully was just a DPF regen.

Does anyone know where the lower end crank PCV valve vents to? The one that comes off the oil filter housing - where does the vent pipe from there connect into? I can't see it and the web is very light on exploded diagrams of this engine it seems.

Last edited by RDesign4Life; Mar 31st, 2022 at 13:12.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 11:34   #105
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joren View Post
Hi

After spending a day at the dealership, problem turned out to be a cracked hose in the EGR system, in the bottom part of the bay. It's been replaced and the car seems fine since then. No more smoke from the bonnet.
In hindsight, this seems to make more sense with the symptoms too, as the smoke was really blowing out under pressure (much like the video of Dtaylor). If it were some drops of leaked oil on a hot surface, maybe it wouldn't blow out like that? I'm hopeful that the problem will not reappear.

As I was worried about the stuff I read here, I explained it to the dealer and asked him to show me some other D4 engines. He fired up 2 other cars (cold) and took off the oil cap, and smoky air was blowing out of the cap just as much on those engines.

I will still do the glove test one of these days to see if the pressure is net-zero average. Just have to find a plastic glove somewhere Will report back!

Anyway, thanks a lot for your reply clan!
Thanks for posting this. This makes perfect sense. I believe I may have exactly the same issue that occurs intermittently and only after slowing down or stopping after a longer drive (when the EGR valve is supposed to operate into the open state), here is my vid..

https://youtu.be/5haUxu7eYrg

It's a shame that the OP did not also feedback what the final resolution was as it seems likely that it was also the same issue that went un-diagnosed for several dealership visits.

My car is booked in with the dealer on Monday and I will report back on what transpires.
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 14:57   #106
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Update - car went in to dealer yesterday morning, rang me couple of hours later to say found a split in EGR pipe (as well as wanting to replace trailing arm bushes, replace coolant and brake fluid). Said they could get the EGR pipe that afternoon and have car ready by end of day. Rang me at 4pm to say won't be ready until next morning after 9:30.

Picked it up this morning - so far so good but as smoke issue was intermittent I won't know for sure that it's fixed until a week or 2 has passed.

Initial diagnostic check £120, then pipe was £90 labour about £70 so £280 plus VAT.

If it is fixed I'll be happy.
The Following User Says Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 14:39   #107
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Well after getting car back with renewed EGR pipe where they said they found a split now I have the dreaded tortoise and 'reduced engine performance' message. Never had this before it's only since I got the car back from the dealer.

Now they have said EMAP pipe needs replacing and are on with that!
Old May 5th, 2022, 19:49   #108
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Update - so far so good no more fumes in cabin and no tortoise return yet (although he may be just a bit slow crawling back!) .........

..........I'll get me coat.
Old May 6th, 2022, 22:12   #109
julietabenegas

Hi everyone!
I've the same problem, I've tried to access the mentioned EGR pipe but it's very difficult.
Please, does anyone know how to remove the damn EGR pipe?
Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited by julietabenegas; May 6th, 2022 at 22:50.
julietabenegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2022, 11:59   #110
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietabenegas View Post
Hi everyone!
I've the same problem, I've tried to access the mentioned EGR pipe but it's very difficult.
Please, does anyone know how to remove the damn EGR pipe?
Thank you very much in advance!
Mine was letting out visible smoke from the rear of the engine presumably where the EGR pipe connects to the exhaust manifold (see my vid above). Access looks a nightmare from the top so I'm guessing it's a case of fresh air pipe and heat shield removal at the very least (and maybe air filter box) or it's approached from underneath.

I just took it to the dealer as I pretty much shat myself when I saw smoke coming through my heater vents inside the cabin.