Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1999 Auto V70 Engine Runs Like a Pile of Rocks

Views : 25031

Replies : 232

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 17:07   #101
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

As it's in the dealers I'd get then to update the transmission ECU to remove the stop neutral feature while it's there.

And fill with the correct JWS 3309 spec fluid.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 20:15   #102
Pozzouk

Default Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
As it's in the dealers I'd get then to update the transmission ECU to remove the stop neutral feature while it's there.

And fill with the correct JWS 3309 spec fluid.
Good point Chris - was this stop neutral a regular feature of Volvo's at that time??? I have to say the vehicle has had a problem with being stationary and with foot on the brake since the day i bought it five years ago!!! - In fact i lost faith in the main dealer the day they told me they could detect no problem - it was only you guy's on here that confirmed my suspicions that i was being flanneled.

Should be interesting what transpires tomorrow on collection.........I hold my breath!

ATB.
Pozzouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 20:41   #103
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Some info in this thread for later cars.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...neutral&page=2

A search of the 2000> forum will show many examples of the problem and how a software update cured it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 08:37   #104
Pozzouk

Default Transmission Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pozzouk View Post
I have to say the vehicle has had a problem with being stationary and with foot on the brake since the day i bought it five years ago!!! - In fact i lost faith in the main dealer the day they told me they could detect no problem - it was only you guy's on here that confirmed my suspicions that i was being flanneled
Thanks again Chris,

That is the very fault in a nutshell with regard to the transmission - I'm furious - As i said before, i suspected incompetence when they supposedly could not find or know of such a problem with the car at service in August 2008!!!!!!

This is just the link i needed http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...eutral&page=2- I have it printed out and ready for presentation - What I find remarkable is; having told them yesterday exactly what the box has been doing for the last five years, is that they still don't tell me there is a specific software upgrade for the TCM ?!?!? And yet are quick enough to offer £350 quids worth of fluid change!?!?!?

Hmmm, do i trust these guy's?

Yours Furious.
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 10:48   #105
Pozzouk

Default Empounded at the Main Dealers!

Just in case you guy's are holding your breath - i still have no car!

That's because having had my £60 ETM upgrade (white sticker/blob of paint for the record @ 133,000 miles) it turns out that is not the problem after all. Not only that, but according to the dealer there are no repairs possible for the ETM - so a total replacement would have been the only option. Further i'm assured if it had been a problem, another unit from a donor motor would not have worked as they are code matched with the ECU?

As for the other £700 quids worth of work that they suspect is at the bottom of the problem - Namely the camshaft flywheel and seal needs to be replaced, as it is showering the cambelt (to be replaced) in oil & this causes the camshaft oil pressure to fail which in turn screws up the sensor that sits above the cam - that they tell me operates a kind of advance retard mechanism...........i'm loosing it.

Hmm, i have no faith, as this was only discovered after they took it for a test drive and it threw (i presume 0328 ) a knock code and arrived back at their base camp running rough as ever.

But they are convinced the box is fine!!!!!! More Hmmmm! - so I'm still wondering why i arrived at their place Tuesday morning with it in safe mode - buy Hey - I might be lucky?!?!?!?

Pozzouk.

Yeah & guess what, at 3am this morning i had to go knock 4 doors down as their s****** car alarm had been sounding every 20 minutes for two hours(just enough time to try get back to sleep)...........hands up those who guessed it............they are proud owners of a V70.

PS. Off to the doc for some tranquilizers
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 12:14   #106
mikealder
VOC Member

If it has blown the seals what state is the PCV in, if they haven't checked that I would take the car elsewhere, if the PCV is blocked it will over-pressure the crankcase and lead to blown seals, putting new seals in with a blocked PCV will ruin the new seals in a very sort time.

As for the ETM I can only suggest they are saying there is no Volvo repair for this item, there are plenty of other options that are non Volvo repairs which result in the modified ETM being a better product than a new replacemt ETM from Volvo. The design of the OEM ETM is crap, it will fail, fitting a non contact digital angle sensor inlue of the potentiameters is the best solution but Volvo don't do this, bba remanufacturing, xemodex and even one of the forum members of this site offer the modification/ upgrade to the ETM so consider this when your ETM does fail, why spend your cash on a Volvo spare that is substandard to what is available?

If the car down the road wakes you up again tell em to lock it with the key rather than the remote - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 18:11   #107
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

"As for the other £700 quids worth of work that they suspect is at the bottom of the problem - Namely the camshaft flywheel and seal needs to be replaced, as it is showering the cambelt (to be replaced) in oil & this causes the camshaft oil pressure to fail which in turn screws up the sensor that sits above the cam - that they tell me operates a kind of advance retard mechanism...........i'm loosing it."

There is just no way that a leaking crank or cam seal will drop the engine oil pressure.

However dirty oil will affect the cam timing mechanism.

As Mike says the seals are more likely leaking because the PVC system is blocked.

Asked them what Volvo fault code number was logged when it went into limp mode.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 10:11   #108
Pozzouk

Default Still no Car!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
If it has blown the seals what state is the PCV in, if they haven't checked that I would take the car elsewhere, if the PCV is blocked it will over-pressure the crankcase and lead to blown seals, putting new seals in with a blocked PCV will ruin the new seals in a very sort time
Morning Guy's

If the PCV is caught in time, is it usual to be able to clean it, so as to keep it in good order and save from premature failure?

Also, i noted on the "Matthew's" site a long running post that featured the thermostat in the bottom of the air intake - i only discovered this a few days back when i noticed a whistling noise coming from those two little tubes that run into the back of the air box - first off i thought it was the MAF Denso sensor making a racket. The point is: the stat and the workings of seemed quite gunky but awkward to get at............could this have any bearing on the problems i have been experiencing????

Perhaps i shoulda gone for the Honda!
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 10:21   #109
Pozzouk

Default Performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post

As for the ETM
Thank goodness for the rebuild options - A couple of questions arise.

1. Would the rebuilt version improve MPG or have any performance benefits?

2. If a donor ETM was fitted to the car would that unit require a software update to suit the ECU or is it only feasible (more cost effective) to upgrade the original??

Thanks Pozzouk.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 13:24   #110
mikealder
VOC Member

Best bet with the ETM is get your original unit rebuilt with the non contact digital angle sensor, this avoids any messing about with the main dealers or software updates.

It won't improve ecconomy when compared with a fully working ETM, it will improve ecconomy and driveability when compared to an ETM that is on it's way out.

As for the PCV, best approach is to replace it with a kit from FRF Swansea, cost is typically around £100 and will take a couple hours, it's certainly a DIY task that on a scale of one to ten (where one is easy) I would score it three, I did this very job on my V70 last Saturday.

Inlet manifold off (for access) after that you simply replace the catch tank and associated pipework, cleaning it out isn't really viable as the rough surface within the old pipework will clog up quicker than the smooth internal surface of new pipework.

As for the airintake being gunked up, take the airbox off the car leaving the MAF attached to it's pipework and give the stat and valve a good clean out with carb cleaner to remove any build up, make sure non of the small hoses that attach to the airbox are leaking or cracked, if they are replace them.

As the car is Denso I assume it's a non turbo model, is the pipe from the main airpipe to the injector purge pipe (a black plastic pipe inbetween the inlet manifold and the engine, connection between this and the rubber pipe is right next to the ETM) correctly attached as this can often be missed when re-connecting everything and leave the engine running like a bag of spanners, again double check this hose for splits/ cracking and replace if suspect or you will be leaking air in to the inlet down stream of the MAF which screws up the fuel metering, I can post up some pictures later as to which pipes if you can't work out the one I am on about later today - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post: