Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1110046

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 13:44   #10051
Alex121
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
^^^^^^^ I doubt it will make much difference per £ spent on it`s own as the main restriction is the size of that turbo flange!

The boost pressure will drop when fitting and you don`t have any room left to up the boost....should fit with an adapter plate and larger turbo before you purchased the exhaust for the larger flange?

It seems that you are a tuners dream
Ha - Is that based on your vast experience of tuning and copying and pasting VIDA??

I'll disagree.

As said before Keith, many times - It's for the 19T, all of this is for the 19T.

The downpipe and standard CAT on a T4 are very restrictive as they are and don't help with reducing back pressure, even on tweaked 14T - Running a bigger turbo without at least a less restrictive DP and CAT is just asking for it.

These mods aren't for power Keith, it's keeping the intake and exhaust gas temperatures down and keeping things reliable.
Alex121 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex121 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 13:50   #10052
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

If you want reliability don't run a T4 hahahahahaha run a T5 instead. Those things go on forever as long as you don't over boost them whereas T4s just seem to get so old and think "I see you got paid this month, let me help you spend your money because I can feel another fault coming on".

Volvo T4s are like Rover K series. Mint when they worked but **** reliability.

Find a T4 that hasn't had the headgasket **** itself and you get a prize of nothing but I bet you'll struggle to find a T5 that's had headgasket failure. They just don't die.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 13:56   #10053
Alex121
Premier Member

LOL.

Up on the wrong side of the bed again Antz?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex121 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 14:46   #10054
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex121 View Post
LOL.

Up on the wrong side of the bed again Antz?
I only have one side of the bed.......

Its true though. Try and find a T4 that hasn't caused grief on here, particularly over 140k miles which seems to be the magic number of headgasket failure and death (for Rover it was about 30k) and then they all give problems.

Eventually I'm planning on swapping my engine and box out for a pair that's only done 70k miles when either the engine goes again, the box gives up or I get around to it since I already have the components to do the swap, I just don't have the time or motivation. Not bothering with this forged nonsense. Once upon a time I would have done but its a daily driver and not a race car, it never will be, its a lumbering FWD estate. I reckon thatll give me another 7 years motoring mechanically which should outlast the shell.

It might get an ARD Tuning lightweight crank pulley because I have a spare one in the garage that's not being used but other than that, it'll stay as it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 14:56   #10055
Alex121
Premier Member

I agree that the T4's on here do seem to have been troublesome, mine of all, but there are a lot of people who own/owned them that were never on here so the 4-5 of us can't count for all T4's. I personally know 3 people with T4's (P1 and P2) that are bog standard and absolutely fine, decent reliable cars. In fact, all 3 have done more miles than mine.

I don't resent my head gasket going, it had done 165k miles which is good for any car, let alone one that's had to deal with a high pressure turbo all it's life and regular thrashing. Mine was also running higher boost and spent pretty much 2 hours a day in traffic getting rather hot.

I fail to see how the T5 engine can be any more reliable, as it's near enough part for part, a T4, with an extra cylinder.

If you google T5 head gasket failure, there is just as many threads with T5 HG failures. It's not uncommon for any head gasket to go north of 150K. People expect too much from their cars and often forget how many miles they've done/how old the cars are.

Have you got your HG sorted again? You should get it back to the garage and get it done under warranty if it's failed again
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex121 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 15:12   #10056
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Have you got your HG sorted again? You should get it back to the garage and get it done under warranty if it's failed again
I don't know what's up with it. Its still using coolant but it no longer pressurises the cooling system like it used to. Coolant looks manky despite being flushed but oil is clear. The gearbox howls like a banshee in every single gear and the clutch is really high too so that probably going to be due soon. Its not worth having it back in the garage to get them to sort it if it is going to have to come back out again when I change the engine and box.

To be honest at 146k miles its had a hard life (I bought it at 74k in 2009) and I've kicked the living crap out of it every single day until the HG went this time last year. I'm just going to run it until something gives up and then drop in a lower mileage engine and box which are known good units.

I just cant be arsed tuning it. Once upon a time I was really into it and wanted to do the big exhaust, intercooler, turbo and mapping etc so it became a bit of a weapon but now I've got other things and the T4 is just a workhorse. If only it was bigger.....

The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 15:47   #10057
druid
V40 Owner

I cleaned the old glue off the black plastic that did have a N/S mirror untill yesterday Bloody fell off, can't find the glass or see any smashed mirror on the floor where it went - was doing 50 but still it leaves me feeling that it still there there, waiting for me to buy a new one.
Its on the way!

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 17:12   #10058
V40DSchariot
Master Member

My T4 seems to be behaving at the moment, but then I have been using the diesel to get to work! That might have something to do with it, seriously though the coolant is slightly pressurised after being driven and allowed to cool so just hoping it's an air lock.
V40DSchariot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V40DSchariot For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 18:21   #10059
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Ha - Is that based on your vast experience of tuning and copying and pasting VIDA??

I'll disagree.

As said before Keith, many times - It's for the 19T, all of this is for the 19T.

The downpipe and standard CAT on a T4 are very restrictive as they are and don't help with reducing back pressure, even on tweaked 14T - Running a bigger turbo without at least a less restrictive DP and CAT is just asking for it.

These mods aren't for power Keith, it's keeping the intake and exhaust gas temperatures down and keeping things reliable.
Don`t believe others posts ...i don`t have VIDA as it is not the best for the T4.

As i have said before ALL the standard hardware on the T4 is good for 250bhp before one has to do any improvements.

You at present have no where near 250bhp!

Alex...you always get the wrong end of the stick, you must think you are vulnerable?

You did say "Looking forward to seeing the differences."

So how are you going to check this statement "it's keeping the intake and exhaust gas temperatures down and keeping things reliable"

I am not ridiculing you, good luck to what you do BUT you are doing things in the opposite way to what most do which makes it more expensive and also not showing much gain by what you have done. At best you may get 2bhp from the larger exhaust not really worth the outlay on it`s own and not worth it if going to fit a 19T later because of the dimensions.

If it`s all for a 19T then you will have to modify the flange on the front of the down pipe again....more money

You will have to have another remap for the 19T....more money

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 18:55   #10060
foeism

I love my T4, and did the cambelt today at 147k. Without getting into agro when/if the HG goes, then that too shall be fixed if it can. Luckily though I use Vivian for long journeys, and occasionally boot it! During the week I dodge Volvos and cycle to work.

Alex fair play I salute you for all the work you put into your T4 its good to see what their capable of.

Will also now be lowering Vivian 30mm with H&G springs.
foeism is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foeism For This Useful Post:

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage