Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where do you see Volvo against other marques?

Views : 24552

Replies : 234

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Where do you see Volvo as a brand compared to other marques?
Premium and firmly in Compact Executive sector (eg, BMW, Benz and Audi) 91 55.83%
Non Premium but still in Compact Executive sector 35 21.47%
Premium-esque, but not in Compact Executive sector (eg, Alfa Romeo) 36 22.09%
Non Premium and not in Compact Executive sector (eg, Ford Mondeo) 6 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 5th, 2012, 20:33   #91
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawas View Post
For just the fun of it, do you really think that the new Kia sportage you posted is nicer than an XC90 for an example? If the answer is yes, do you think that a 1975 Honda Accord is nicer than a 1975 Volvo 140? photos attached.
For me, they are both nice, but for different reasons.

I like the front of the Sportage although not keen on the back,yet prefer the rear of the XC90,although overall consider the 90 to be a 'too narrow looking vehicle'

Regards the Accord and the 144. having been brought up with a 145, I would say the Volvo.Looking at your pictures bring back many happy memories.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 20:34   #92
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Is your Volvo preference based on an emotional tie, a mechanical/functional supremacy or you think it looks better? or may be all of the above?
I have had a thing for volvos since I can remember. Because of this I will always have a soft spot for them.

I think the XC90 does look better, whether it is a better car or not I can't say because I've not driven either.

My own Volvo preference (S40) was based on my love for the brand and I wanted one even if it wasn't one of the big volvos (S60,S80)

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 22:31   #93
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Off Road Volvo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMad View Post
Fair enough and I was quoting Land Rovers own marketing spiel, but I think you probably get my drift.
Volvo do not, have not and probably never will make an off road-er
How about this for an off-road Volvo, the Sugga.

Prufrock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sugga.jpg (3.8 KB, 12 views)
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 23:04   #94
Volvo6
Master Member

Nowadays since so many cars are mechanically very similar what seems to make a car 'premium' are refinement and the quality of the interior. The quality of the drive seems less important because to be honest all good modern cars feel pretty much the same handling wise within the scope of normal driving. I would have thought ride quality should be in there too but so many so called 'premium' cars seem to get away with rubbish rides it doesn't seem to matter for this definition...

10-15 years ago I'd have been reluctant to really describe Volvo as 'premium' since although they have always been good cars the interiors tended to be functional and comfortable rather than fancy. They exuded an air of practicality rather than luxury. If one compares the old S60 to the 3-series, the old V70 to a Merc E-class or indeed the XC90 to the Range Rovers of their day I think that is fair.

Today however most of the current Volvos, especially the XC60, new S/V60 and even more so the new V40, their interiors and drives are easily as good, if not better than their German rivals. If one is going to call an Audi Q5 or A3 or a BMW 3 series say "premium" then their equivalent Volvos deserve to be called that too. I really don't see anything to separate them in that respect.

That all said I personally couldn't care less, I got attached to Volvo's because of their unique image and approach to car building not because I thought they were "premium" or whatever that means. As long as they were comfortable, safe, a good drive and reliable I'd quite happily sit inside an interior that hadn't changed since the 760...

Last edited by Volvo6; Jul 6th, 2012 at 00:55. Reason: spelling
Volvo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 00:22   #95
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
How about this for an off-road Volvo, the Sugga.

Prufrock.
That actually looks quite a capable off roader, although not very "premium"!!

Do you see what I did there
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 08:38   #96
Rawas
Master Member

Default We're getting somewhere

Thank you Volvorocks and Volvo2002, also many thanks for any other member who wish to contribute.
Before we reach any assesments or conclusions, may I ask you another related question? Do you agree with me that there is a certain static and dull qualities to the design of a 1998 Toyota Camry compared to a dynamic and sharp qualities to the design of a Volvo S70 of the same year?
Photos attached.
To AndyMJenkins, please do not think that I am stealing your interesting thread, on the contrary, all I am trying to do here, is to open up a little bit to show other factors and issues that contribute to the status of a certain car being premium or not. I did start with safety and moving on to design, as you have already noticed.
Regards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1998ToyotaCamry.jpeg (103.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 1998 S70.jpg (54.8 KB, 9 views)
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rawas For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 08:40   #97
Rawas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1918 View Post
Can I like BOTH the Honda and the Volvo? Because I do.
You can definitely like both, but which one do you personally prefer?
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 11:10   #98
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo6 View Post
Nowadays since so many cars are mechanically very similar what seems to make a car 'premium' are refinement and the quality of the interior. The quality of the drive seems less important because to be honest all good modern cars feel pretty much the same handling wise within the scope of normal driving. I would have thought ride quality should be in there too but so many so called 'premium' cars seem to get away with rubbish rides it doesn't seem to matter for this definition...
Perhaps it's because I am getting older, but in my book ride quality, build quality and safety are far and away the most important attribute in a car. Does it matter precisely how a car looks (beauty will always be in the eyes of the beholder) and does it matter that it can get to 62 mph in 0.5 of a second faster than a rival?

For me, it doesn't but it does matter how it drives and how comfortable I am after a long journey and whether I am as safe as possible. After decades of car making, you would have thought that manufacturers had by now figured out how to marry engines, gearboxes and suspension together to best advantage and to best economy (shouldn't be the concern of the customer; most of us rarely lift the bonnet - do we know or care what makes a fridge work, or a telly??).

Forget "premium" tags and don't be too hasty to rule out the wannabe makers (mainly Eastern) either. Premium cars like MB and BMW do have a heritage that SOME people think is worth paying extra for. They do use quality materials BUT they are still flawed in the overall scheme of things and could leave you seething.

At the top end of the ranges, I would not lose any sleep over the high prices. But in the areas where they are trying to compete with us hoi poloi, then you are asked to pay a significant premium price solely for the badge - think Merc A and B class, think BM 1 series. You're mad to do it IMHO!

I have my own check list and an open mind. Is the car comfortable? Is it well built? Is it as safe as possible? Is it good value? Does it meet my requirements in terms of performance and practicality?

Tick these boxes and you won't go far wrong...regardess of make...
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 11:30   #99
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Thank you Volvorocks and Volvo2002, also many thanks for any other member who wish to contribute.
Before we reach any assesments or conclusions, may I ask you another related question? Do you agree with me that there is a certain static and dull qualities to the design of a 1998 Toyota Camry compared to a dynamic and sharp qualities to the design of a Volvo S70 of the same year?
Photos attached.
To AndyMJenkins, please do not think that I am stealing your interesting thread, on the contrary, all I am trying to do here, is to open up a little bit to show other factors and issues that contribute to the status of a certain car being premium or not. I did start with safety and moving on to design, as you have already noticed.
Regards.
Toyota cars in general are a bit dull to look at. The Celica is one of few that looks sharply styled and you'd notice as it passed. Most of Toyotas cars though are just a bit bland to look at.

Below are a few..

This corolla is just plain boring to look at

Even the successor below just doesn't interest me at all and It would never get a second glance!

The S70 no question in that comparison. Having said that, Toyota cars are reliable, unless of course it decides it wants to go faster!!

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 12:00   #100
GMad
Premier Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.
Although I agree that some Japanese designed cars can be a little bland, Honda quite often being an exception to that rule.
But I've got to say, I don't think my S60 is a particularly good looking car!
From the side it's good, from the front it's OK and as for its bum!!! I'm glad I don't have to look at the back of it when I'm driving it, because it is pig ugly.
Fortunately I don't generally buy my working cars for their looks